Dead Ringer IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerturn11

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. This all grain recipe calls for a secondary fermentation. ~10 days in primary and ~2-4 weeks in secondary last 5 days dry-hop. I really don't like to do secondary fermentation unless absolutely necessary. I really want to get at this beer fast:) My plan is 3 total weeks in the primary, dry hop the last 5 days, and then cold crash for 2-3 days before kegging. Do you feel this would be satisfactory with this beer? Or should I just do the secondary? Or extend time in primary? Thanks in advance.

Hey guys quick question. This all grain recipe calls for a secondary fermentation. ~10 days in primary and ~2-4 weeks in secondary last 5 days dry-hop. I really don't like to do secondary fermentation unless absolutely necessary. I really want to get at this beer fast:) My plan is 3 total weeks in the primary, dry hop the last 5 days, and then cold crash for 2-3 days before kegging. Do you feel this would be satisfactory with this beer? Or should I just do the secondary? Or extend time in primary? Thanks in advance.

No, that's fine. Dead Ringer was the first beer I ever made. Primary in a bucket, no secondary. Tasted pretty good.

It will be fine with your plan. Just make sure the fermentation is complete before adding the hops. Don't want any of that hoppy goodness being scrubbed out by the CO2!

Homercidal said:
It will be fine with your plan. Just make sure the fermentation is complete before adding the hops. Don't want any of that hoppy goodness being scrubbed out by the CO2!

Agree. I'm using US-05 yeast which in my experience generally finishes pretty quickly. I think it will be done in 7-10 days. So an ~10 days extra on the yeast cake should do some good. I've always had good luck dry-hopping in primary so I'll go with my original plan.

I did one about a year ago and did my normal three week primary, dry hopped the last week and it turned out great.

Powerturn11 said:
Agree. I'm using US-05 yeast which in my experience generally finishes pretty quickly. I think it will be done in 7-10 days. So an ~10 days extra on the yeast cake should do some good. I've always had good luck dry-hopping in primary so I'll go with my original plan.
I'm pretty much doing the same as you, except I am bottling with no cold crash. If it is ready, I plan on bottling the day after Thanksgiving. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I poured my first glass of Dead Ringer last night. OG was 1.064, FG was 1.014. 24 days in primary. Dry hopped last 8 days. Bottle conditioned 2 weeks.
Tastes amazing! Just a tad more bitter and considerably darker than Bell's Two-hearted Ale, but it is dang close in flavor!
My wife who doesn't like IPA's even said it was addicting!

Back