Dead guy and Hobgoblin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Substitute for Cara-pils/dextrine in HOBGOBLIN

• Smaller amount of munich to not impart to much flavour

• Munich + Wheat malt

• Use more caramel

• Forget about it altogether

Results are only viewable after voting.
Even after a 7 day ale yeast ferment, it settle pretty nicely and doesnt leave a LOAD in the bottle, its bearable, but im gonna try that one day for a lager brew.

Im sooooo pisst off right now, my capper keeps breaking bottles, then I realized its the new bottles that are coors light, budweisers, blue light, and molson exports!!! I cracked 5 of them, then I stopped bottling and put all my beer in a gallon jug and thru it in the fridge until I can get proper bottles.

I usually use corona's, MGD, heinekens, and brava's. Mind you, ive broken a fair share of those, but once their capped the first time, they never break on the second go. Im on the look out for swing top bottles and heinekens, those seem to be fairly stable.

You could also get a bench capper rather than the wing style (I'm assuming that's what you have). The bench capper doesn't have to grip the bottle so it's far less likely to have a problem with twist-tops.

Yeah, bench cappers are kind-of costly, id much rather invest in swing-top bottles than a bench capper.

I threw the beer back into a gallon jug and put it in the fridge, dont know if they will protect it more from oxygen, currently my gallon bung is being used for wine, I should have a solution by tonight.

I wouldn't call them costly, they are available for under $40. The set of swing tops I have cost me a ton of money (500ML amber ezcap bottles). Can't argue with the swing tops though, I definitely like them. Though for my normal bottling I prefer 500ML amber PET bottles.

Im gonna try and revive this thread, even though conversations have gone from recipes, to Lovibonds, conditioning, and now to bottles.

Im concerned the "Ruby Red Glow" Hobogoblin ale has, i cant replicate that.

Sounds like a simple solution, steep the chocolate-caramel for a shorter period of time to not pull so much color from them right ? I used a 30min steep at 150f, can anyone verify that the temp has to be that high ?

Im getting a darker brown color, not much of a problem, but I wanna replicate this :)

Back