Dead flies on hops???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageBrewer

Reaction score
In recent days here in Maryland I have been checking on my nugget hops to make sure they are budding well and getting enough water. It is now early July and I have recently notice green flies on my hops. I thought they were alive at first and proceeded to flick them off. They would not budge. I found out they were dead. As if my hops had killed them or something. I searched the internet to find if hops are toxic to flies but could not come up with anything. Has anyone come across this? If so, do any of you have a theory on why I am finding dead flies on my hops? It has been happening for at least a week now. I have been growing these nuggets for 3 years now and have never come across this. Please enlighten me on my curiosity.

Im on the eastern shore of MD and I have the same thing happen every season. And these are definitely not aphids. Almost looks like a common house fly.

I live in Elkridge MD and I have a TON of flies on my hops as well and they are all dead. They also like sitting on the twine. I'll take pictures and upload them tonight. But they are definately just the common house fly, they have the shiny green bodies, some times with the metallic red tint too.

Pix

ForumRunner_20130730_084048.png

I live in Elkridge MD and I have a TON of flies on my hops as well and they are all dead. They also like sitting on the twine. I'll take pictures and upload them tonight. But they are definately just the common house fly, they have the shiny green bodies, some times with the metallic red tint too.

I don't understand why the die on the hops. Are the hops toxic to them or do they choose to die on the hops?

Some of the flies I've seen on there look like they are glued to the hop leaf/vine. Did you spray your hops with anything? I have just used water & dish soap. But I haven't used that lately as they are blooming. I know that hops are toxic for dogs, but they haven't isolated what the compound is that is toxic to dogs.

Maybe they are toxic to the flies? I'm curious to know

Some of the flies I've seen on there look like they are glued to the hop leaf/vine. Did you spray your hops with anything? I have just used water & dish soap. But I haven't used that lately as they are blooming. I know that hops are toxic for dogs, but they haven't isolated what the compound is that is toxic to dogs.

Maybe they are toxic to the flies? I'm curious to know

No, I don't spray my hops with anything but a strong blast of water from time to time to knock off some bugs. I try to keep them as organic as possible. Maybe they are toxic to flies as well. It sure is interesting.

Back