Hops and Lantern Flies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would love to plant hops next season, but my area is completely overrun with lantern flies. They are very picky in which plants they target, but I cannot find nay info on their like/dislike of hop plants. Any insight HBtalk?

My hops had a lot of lantern fly nymphs on them last year. The plant wasn't healthy to begin with and I'm sure that didn't help.

I posted on another thread about lanternflies here, but the short end of it is there are a few products out there that are a spore suspension of a fungus known to infect lanternflies. You can also purchase a spore suspension combined with pyrethrin. This could help you knock down their population a bit, but as with most pest insects, managing their population and minimizing their damage is usually the best case scenario.

Some birds seem to be eating them, so make a bird friendly area with scrubs, etc.

Back