DC Group Buy #6

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For splits we're expected to pay each of the primary buyers correct?

On the link that was just emailed to me, it looks like 20# of honey malt is still up for grabs. Earlier I had agreed to up my amount by another 5# to 10#, thinking that would close it, I guess I missed something. Should I hold off paying that person until we figure out if it will fill?

If splitting onsite is a pain, maybe we should limit splits to 2 or 3 people, or even just insist that splits be handled privately which seemed to work when Stephen ran things. Just a thought.

For splits we're expected to pay each of the primary buyers correct?

On the link that was just emailed to me, it looks like 20# of honey malt is still up for grabs. Earlier I had agreed to up my amount by another 5# to 10#, thinking that would close it, I guess I missed something. Should I hold off paying that person until we figure out if it will fill?

If splitting onsite is a pain, maybe we should limit splits to 2 or 3 people, or even just insist that splits be handled privately which seemed to work when Stephen ran things. Just a thought.

Yes, primary buyers get paid directly.

The link had slightly outdated data in it (from last night). I just updated that. Should be correct now. I grabbed another 10# of Honey this morning. 10 left to go. Do you want to wait or take the 5# or 10# now while it's there?

If you're not done with buying into splits, hold off on paying the primaries until you are.

The splits will be distributed as they are. We'll make it work. I heard one of our bulk buy participants lives really close by...<shameless fishing, if need be>
Anyway, we'll find a place to set up site Special B, push come to shove.

climateboy, what are your initials, or first few letters of your email address? i want to paypal you what i owe you, but none of the addresses in Tony's email match "climateboy"...

I'll take it. Never used it, but can find a use for it, I'm sure.

It's yours. 10# would have been even better :ban:

Honey malt actually carries honey-like flavors forward more so than honey itself. It's a specialty product, one of a kind.

Try it you'll like it, wherever it calls for honey, or you think it needs that touch. 4oz in a 5 gal batch is a good start. 8oz is prominent. Never went past that.

Honey malt is good in wheat beers, pales, IPAs, etc. Up to a half pound per 5 gallons will leave a nice honey character. More than that and it just comes off as sweetness, like medium crystal. IME, the honey taste seems to move forward a little after some aging.

I am totally paid up and paid out. Thanks to all for quick turnaround!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

As of 9AM this morning the following users have not paid for grain:

djpuckett (3 splits affected)
stevedasleeve
BeezBrew (arrangements made)
climateboy (4 split affected)

Clock is ticking folks. Please get this completed ASAP so we don't have a cluster on the first time we use this new buy source!

Any additions today must be immediately accompanied by a paypal transactions or it won't go on the sheet.

I plan to head over to the homebrew store this afternoon to chat with them about the logistics. The trend for massive splits continues and I want to make sure that a) they are okay with it b) we have a place to do the splitting, and c) we have time to get it done w/o affecting their business. Islandlizard thinks we need 90 minutes to split up sack so I am going to either attempt to get us in earlier to start the splits and have people arrive at 10 to pickup, or delay the pickup until 11 and start the splits at 10. Stay tuned and as usual there will be an email to those on the buyer list with a summary of everything.

As of 9AM this morning the following users have not paid for grain:

djpuckett (3 splits affected)
stevedasleeve
BeezBrew (arrangements made)
climateboy (4 split affected)

Clock is ticking folks. Please get this completed ASAP so we don't have a cluster on the first time we use this new buy source!

Any additions today must be immediately accompanied by a paypal transactions or it won't go on the sheet.

I plan to head over to the homebrew store this afternoon to chat with them about the logistics. The trend for massive splits continues and I want to make sure that a) they are okay with it b) we have a place to do the splitting, and c) we have time to get it done w/o affecting their business. Islandlizard thinks we need 90 minutes to split up sack so I am going to either attempt to get us in earlier to start the splits and have people arrive at 10 to pickup, or delay the pickup until 11 and start the splits at 10. Stay tuned and as usual there will be an email to those on the buyer list with a summary of everything.

I have two 11# scales, so we can get a few of us moving with splits before the rest show up. I am also thinking about picking up the 55# or 75# scale that is often on Homebrewfinds.com ($29 for 55# and 33 for 75#). I could have that here by Wednesday/Thursday.

I have two 11# scales, so we can get a few of us moving with splits before the rest show up. I am also thinking about picking up the 55# or 75# scale that is often on Homebrewfinds.com ($29 for 55# and 33 for 75#). I could have that here by Wednesday/Thursday.

Ah, good! 2 extra scales should suffice besides mine and Keith's. Always good to have a backup as well.

A few pointers to make the weighting go accurately and smoothly:
  • Scale, decent + accurate 7-55# capacity
  • Table
  • A hard flat smooth surface, like a piece of plywood or fiberboard. Most fold-up tables are dipped or have a soft top, scale won't work.
  • 2 weighting buckets, better than one.
  • Scoop or scooping container (quart take-out soup container)
  • Bags

Few more hints:
  • I'll prepare labels for each and every split (a real time saver) and cutting schedules per bag.
  • We found it necessary to weight within an ounce of the exact poundage or the last one holding the bag would be shorted.

If you feel you like to have such a large capacity scale go for it, but don't buy one specifically for this split. The 7-11# scales work well enough.

Robfar brought a nice scale last time. I think his was one of those 55# ones you're mentioning.

I love Homebrewfinds. I check them several times a day.

As previously noted (I think) my scale (55#) will be there with multiple buckets and at least one good scoop.
I figured I'd help tackle the 15# and over splits. I have a small table (like side table small) that I'll throw in.

As previously noted (I think) my scale (55#) will be there with multiple buckets and at least one good scoop.
I figured I'd help tackle the 15# and over splits. I have a small table (like side table small) that I'll throw in.

Excellent!

As a matter of fact, as long as your scale is self powered, it will work better than Keith's. His needs an adapter, making it less portable.

We're set on the scales.

I'm working on a revision of the bag idea. Will be up shortly.

The buyer with the largest share in a split usually ends up with the leftover grain in the original sack. It gets re-weighted, to make sure you're not shorted.

There is a slight logistics problem and I offer a solution. If you have better ideas, let us hear it:

From the previous buy (the Tyson's Corner gig) we learned a few things. It takes quite a bit of time and (wo)manpower to weight out and fill the various splits, I'm counting 56 this time. So starting an hour and a half earlier than official showtime, to get a head start, is not a luxury. The problem is at that early time we don't have the bags yet that you guys are going to bring.

Here's my suggestion:
I or someone else who wants to help with the splits, buys bags for us all. We found the zipper bags with the sliders the best and easiest to use, like GLAD or HEFTY.
  • 1 gallon bag holds up to 5#, but it's a tight fit.
  • 2.5 gallon bag holds 5-10# <== these are the most universal, and I would get those.
  • 5 gallon bag holds 10-20#

I'm counting 56 different splits for 635 pounds of grain.
Everyone pays $1.00 per 25 pounds of splits to cover the cost of the bags.
You're getting 50#, you hand over $2 cash.
You're getting 75 pounds, it's $3.
etc.

To save you all the details, here's the skinny, primarily based on # of splits and not as much by weight.

Everyone pays me back for the bags used, at pickup @ 25 or 30 cents a bag.

Yeah, I know... you got a better idea?

How many bags...?

a) 1 bag for each split you participate in, unless you are the Primary Buyer for that split, then the original bag is your contribution.

b) 1 extra bag for each 10 pounds (or fraction thereof) over 10 pounds.

c) Excludes all Simple Splits (only 2 or 3 sharers); they do it among themselves.

Here's a sample of what it would look like:
  • stonebrewer - 5 bags - $1.25
  • sweetcell - 1 bag - $0.25
  • IslandLizard - 7 bags - $1.75
  • climateboy - 0 bags -- he only participates as primary buyer, bought no other splits
  • atjsparty - 2 bags - $0.50
  • masonsjax - 8 bags - $2.00
  • etc.

So how am I going to collect the various monies?
Frankly, If there were only 8 bags needed, I'd donate them. But we need 45...

Alternatives?
Short of someone going into the grocery store and grab a whole big bunch of shopping bags, I'm out of good ideas. We can use them instead. Double bagging is almost essential for those, though.

Awaiting feedback...

It's true, I was not diligent enough on this buy keeping up with things, my apologies. Mason, if you don't want all 20# of the red I will take up to 10# of it off your hands.

Buys Status:

We have stumbled out of the gate a little, but I think we can recover. Right now I have not heard from stevedasleeve. He may be overseas as he was visiting his mom I think. He owes for a sack of Golden Promise, so if I don't get his $ I will buy it and either wait to hear from him, brew with it, or offer to split it with someone local to me. BeezBrew made arrangements to pay me, so I am cool with his sack of 2 row.

djpuckett owes $6.60 and climateboy owes $186.44.

I have sent the link to the current sheet so I don't know where the confusion is coming from. I have updated the sheet to show total due, total due adjusted for splits where I owe you money, what you paypal'd, and what you currently owe. I will email out the link again to all. The spreadsheet has 3 sheets: grain price list, order list with what you pay me, splits sheet with what you pay primary buyers.

I have removed the Rahr 2-row 55# from the spreadsheet as we cannot get it and have adjusted prices. So there are several people I owe money back to: reddskinnfan, atjsparty, and TheGeneral. Since it is a small amount, I will just give you cash instead of fooling with paypal.

I have gone ahead and paid for the grain. It will be ordered tomorrow and arrive at 3 stars by Thursday. At that time, he will let me know if anything got shorted or if there are any problems with the order and I will let you know. The pickup is NEXT SATURDAY 01/25/14 at 10:30AM. You must either be there in person or make arrangements. If not you will likely be banned from future buys. You cannot go to 3 stars before the group pickup to get your grain, so please don't ask or try.

Hey tony I'm just back, will PayPal you this afternoon. Not great to be back - & I thought Scotland was cold..,! I'm also due some c20 can you bring it or should I Justine arrangements to pick it up ?

Cheers!
Steve

Hey tony I'm just back, will PayPal you this afternoon. Not great to be back - & I thought Scotland was cold..,! I'm also due some c20 can you bring it or should I Justine arrangements to pick it up ?

Cheers!
Steve

I have the c20 and will bring it. You will need to pay islandlizatd for it I think. See you Saturday.

Yup! Steve, I just sent you an email with the details.

Have we decided where we can do the splits and or what time we will start the splits?

Yes. It is all in the email I sent you.

9:30 AM - people weighing and bagging splits arrive to get it ready for the people coming at 10:30AM

10:30AM - anyone not involved in the actual weighing and bagging process arrive

11:00 AM - hope to be done and gone!

Please be there promptly at 10:30 to grab your grain, shop at the homebrew store, and chat with your fellow homebrewers.

I am already to put in a couple bags for the next buy and a few splits.

Bags I want:

Rahr Premium Pilsner
Simpson Golden Promise

Splits:

Weyermann CaraAroma - 10#
Crisp Pale Chocolate - 10#
Crisp Roasted Barley - 10#
Briess Carapils - 10#
Briess Caramel 120L - 10#

Cheers!

Bags I want:

Rahr Premium Pilsner
Simpson Golden Promise

Splits:

Briess Carapils - 10#

Cheers!

You're not wasting time, buddy! :tank:

I'm not in on any splits but if I can assist in any way beyond showing up for my sack, let me know. I'd be happy to show up early to lend a hand if it's needed. Also, thanks to the people organizing this logistical nightmare. I'm looking forward to meeting up with all of you.

By the way, do we know if they'll be open for growler fills? I'm not sure I need much from the shop but I figured I'd show my appreciation to the owners by filling a grower or two.

I'm not in on any splits but if I can assist in any way beyond showing up for my sack, let me know. I'd be happy to show up early to lend a hand if it's needed. Also, thanks to the people organizing this logistical nightmare. I'm looking forward to meeting up with all of you.

By the way, do we know if they'll be open for growler fills? I'm not sure I need much from the shop but I figured I'd show my appreciation to the owners by filling a grower or two.

Well, we need about 8 people there early to start moving sacks and doing the splits. We have 4 scales lined up so 4 teams of 2 each would make it go fast.

Here is the build of the crew list:
  • stonebrewer
  • Islandlizard - 1 scale - 1 table
  • atjsparty - 1 scale - 1 table
  • reddskinnfan - 2 scales
  • Bigbeavk - 1 scale (needs adapter/truck) - tailgate

Need 3 or 4 more. Did I forget anyone?

Bags I want:

Rahr Premium Pilsner
Simpson Golden Promise

Splits:

Briess Carapils - 10#

Cheers!

I've added these to the Group Buy #7 spreadsheet.

Well, we need about 8 people there early to start moving sacks and doing the splits. We have 4 scales lined up so 4 teams of 2 each would make it go fast.

Here is the build of the crew list:
  • stonebrewer
  • Islandlizard - 1 scale - 1 table
  • atjsparty - 1 scale - 1 table
  • reddskinnfan - 2 scales
  • Bigbeavk - 1 scale (needs adapter/truck) - tailgate

Need 3 or 4 more. Did I forget anyone?

Are we going to be outside in the parking lot weighing? I can bring a table as well. Also I don't need an adapter I found out my son's truck has a dang switch on the dash to turn on the power outlet :D

Back