DC Group Buy #21

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be there to help. I don't have a suitable scale, but I can bring some pretty darn good bags that somebody donated "to the cause!" at the last buy.
I will have to bag and run.

If there are any masochist/diagnosticians out there I have a cider for you to gag down and tell me what the off flavor is.

I’ll be there at 10 to help with splits, and will bring my small scale and bags. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Thanks.

I can also help out with splits! I have a small scale (I think it only goes to like 10 pounds..) and i'll pick up some bags.

I imagine regular grocery bags aren't the best... any preferred type of bag for this? Ziploc?

If there are any masochist/diagnosticians out there I have a cider for you to gag down and tell me what the off flavor is.

How old is it? In my limited experience with cider, it benefits greatly from time. I had a sulphury mess after fermentation the first time I made any, but after six or eight months the sulphur went away and it was pretty good.

I can also help out with splits! I have a small scale (I think it only goes to like 10 pounds..) and i'll pick up some bags.

I imagine regular grocery bags aren't the best... any preferred type of bag for this? Ziploc?
Actually regular plastic grocery bags are what gets the job done. We double bag them.

On Saturday I'm bringing my Strawberry Blonde (more of a strawberry aroma instead of a surpy sweet strawberry) and my Vanilla Cream Ale (made with real vanilla, which has recently gotten absurdly expensive) for sharing. Have my Pale lager and an Amber lager in kegs. Sorry, but not lugging kegs to DC. Will have to visit me in Manassas to have these lagers :)

Be glad to discuss my electric brewery if anyone is interested or has questions about building their own.

Afterward wife and I are stopping at Gordon Biersch in Tysons Corner, VA. GB has beer for $2.50 (limit 2 per person, excludes ABV greater than 6.5%) celebrating their 30th anniversary. If anyone would like to join us, please do.

Last edited:
If carbed up in time, I'll also be bringing an imperial, biscuit malt-heavy nut brown ale.

I will be bringing a very tasty NE IPA and a Chocolate Coconut Porter. Also happy to try the cider and offer advice. I'm BJCP certified and have made quite a bit of cider.

Hey all - I just discovered upon arriving home that I am missing my metal scoop that I used for splits. If you wound up with it could you please let me know? Thx, Ed

All: Thanks for helping make this another successful grain extravaganza! Apologies for the couple of snafus, and HUGE thanks to Three Stars for helping us out and giving us grain from their supplies to make up the difference! Special thank you to Petar our web master and everyone who came out early and helped split. This was a huge buy and having so many people help really made it go quick. Thanks to all the new faces that showed up today as well as the "regulars". Thanks to Stephen for getting in the way, the way only he can! ;>

I will process the refunds of the flaked oats in a few minutes. I think there were one or two people that over paid a few bucks as well, so I will take care of that.

Ed: When I left I did two rounds of making sure we had everything...I did NOT see your scoop! Maybe if fell out in the car somewhere? You can always call 3 Stars as well...I could have missed it, but tried to be thorough!

Mark, Mike, Ron: I have your grain in my garage. My truck was completely loaded to the gills with all your stuff. In the future if you can try to arrange with someone on the buy to snag your stuff, it would be a big help. Please email or call me/text me to arrange a pickup. I am here all day more or less tomorrow.

Christian (lfordie): you left your split of PBW. I have it so you can stop by, arrange a pickup, or I can hold it until the next one. Let me know.

Ryan: thanks again for doing the labels!! That was a big help...

Fritz, Ed, James: thanks for showing the new folks the ropes on how to split!

Finally, thank you to everyone who bought brews or hops or whatnot from the 3 Stars family! We would not have this great opportunity to get malt at a discount, share homebrew and recipes, and socialize in their house without them being such nice folks!!

I will clear the website and open the next buy shortly...cheers all!

Big thanks to you Tony for organizing another successful buy and taking home a truckload of orders for those who couldn't make it.

Thanks also to everyone else helping with sorting, splitting, distributing, bringing wonderful homebrew to share or participating in some way or another.
:bravo:

Hear hear! Great to meet everyone today and thanks for sharing your brews! Looking forward to group buy 22.

Big thanks to you Tony for organizing another successful buy and taking home a truckload of orders for those who couldn't make it.

Thanks also to everyone else helping with sorting, splitting, distributing, bringing wonderful homebrew to share or participating in some way or another.
:bravo:
I'll second that! Drinking a toast to Tony right now!

Latest posts

Back