DC Area Group Grain Buy #12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMPORTANT NOTE:

Everyone please start sending in your payments before FRI at midnight so I can put in the order first thing SAT AM. Since we will be 3 weeks out from pickup, we can still add to the order next week. After that I think it is probably impractical to add something, but I will try in a pinch. Again, I would not add anything that is not generic 2 row, pils, Cxx, etc. after this week as you are likely to be disappointed and we will have to go through some hassles to refund, etc.

Payments Received: 6/22
Payments Due: 16/22
Sheet has been updated with payments received as of the time/date of this post for full sacks paid to Tony.

Just paid my full sacks. Still reviewing the splits. I might jump in on some others so stay tuned!

I'll close out the remaining 10# RAH1008 Rahr White Wheat 50 lb

Done, thanks!

frits, please increase my share of the Bavarian Wheat DME to 15 lbs total (so +5).

TaggTimm has agreed to take 15 lbs if we can close this bag (thanks TaggTimm!).

so that leaves 20 lbs to go. c'mon folks, time to brew some quick n' easy summer wheats! also great for a quick belgian or as a base for a sour.

Alright, 15# for you, 15# for TaggTimm. 20# Bavarian Wheat DME left...

Hello DC folks, I'd like:

1x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

Also, I live in Charlottesville so I'm not sure I can get in on a split, but if it's possible I'd like...

5# PBW50 PBW 50 lb
15# Weyermann® Light Munich 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Thanks to those putting putting this together!

Hello DC folks, I'd like:

1x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

Also, I live in Charlottesville so I'm not sure I can get in on a split, but if it's possible I'd like...

5# PBW50 PBW 50 lb
15# Weyermann® Light Munich 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Thanks to those putting putting this together!

Welcome to our group buy!
All added. Tony picks up and holds it, as agreed.

There was no DME split yet. Just started a new Light Pilsen one, with 10# for you.

Current Status:
We're at 22 sacks, 5 of them open splits with 175# to go.

I'll take some of the Breiss DME Pilsen Light:

10# 3440C Briess DME Pilsen Light 50 lb

IMPORTANT UPDATES:

Payments Received: 17/23

Payments Due: 6/23

The sheet has been updated with all payment information as of the time/date of this post. Yes I am still severely jet lagged as I have been up for a couple of hours now after 3 hours rest...sigh!! Anyhow thanks to everyone who got payment out to me and for those who are still waiting to pay, please do so TODAY!

Also, thank you very much to everyone who puts their HBT moniker in the paypal notes area!! We have almost a 100 folks who participate in the buys, some I know VERY well by HBT moniker, some I sorta know, and the overwhelming majority I know when I see you but matching HBT name to face to real name just won't happen unless you are at almost every buy or one of the many I see outside of this buy as friends. So PLEASE make sure when you send that payment, you put your HBT name in so when I go update the sheet it is easier for me. I really appreciate it!!

Another note to ponder; Frits is getting a little overwhelmed by the splits after the initial buy closes. I think we are going to allow full sacks next week, but I want to close out all the splits this week and be done with it. Frits and I do spend a lot of our free time working out the logistics of all this and the recent change to allow us a greater chance to receive all grain ordered had a couple of unexpected consequences when we started to implement it. To keep this from becoming a full time job for us, please finish off the splits today and we will close that part of the buy. We will allow additional "normal types" of malt to be added in full sacks next week but nothing after that. The 3 weeks gives 3 Stars 3 chances to order grain, so if the wholesaler is out of a malt (or many!) one week but will have it the next week or the following, the new paradigm will help ensure we have a better chance of getting everyone's malt. Thanks for understanding!!

[...] Another note to ponder; Frits is getting a little overwhelmed by the splits after the initial buy closes. I think we are going to allow full sacks next week, but I want to close out all the splits this week [...]

For everyone's peace of mind, I don't get overwhelmed, ever!
And the least so by the splits. I just don't like inefficiencies, such as shaky tallies, double collections and refunds when they can be prevented easily.

It's not fair to close the splits early (today) as many participants will be disadvantaged. There is plenty of time to fill those splits by next weekend. So that's what we're aiming at.

Added:
If someone wants to add a new split and tries to buddy up with a few brewers here to fill that by next Friday (5/1), please do so. The last MO split is good testimony for that, it filled in a bit over 2 hours. If splits fail to fill, they will be canceled, unless someone takes the balance.

I apologize for any confusion the 2 rounds of closing may have caused, it was a nifty idea, just won't work well for splits, we just noticed. Any splits that don't close and were prepaid, will be refunded when the final order goes in.

Frits

Last edited:
Ill take:

1 x BRI1003 Briess Pale Ale 50 lb
1 x WEY1003 Weyermann® Pilsner 25 Kg (55 Lb.)

Thanks!

Sorry about this - I'm out of town trying to view the spreadsheet on my phone, can't scroll to where I need to to get my prices. Could you possibly send me an email what I owe, 1 sack rahr 2-row & 1 Golden promise. Sorry for the bother but I won't have a computer till tomorrow evening... Also Tony's PayPal name....

Cheers,
Steve da sleeve

Sorry about this - I'm out of town trying to view the spreadsheet on my phone, can't scroll to where I need to to get my prices. Could you possibly send me an email what I owe, 1 sack rahr 2-row & 1 Golden promise. Sorry for the bother but I won't have a computer till tomorrow evening... Also Tony's PayPal name....

Cheers,
Steve da sleeve

NP, email sent...

No time to check right now, but it looks like all payments came in for full sacks...with one issue:

I did get ONE eCheck. Folks, PLEASE do not send an eCheck to Frits or I as it just causes issues. Send direct payments and use the send to friend option so it does not cost you $$$. If you sent me an eCheck, please go in and cancel it and send a direct payment. Thanks!

hey frits - i'll take the last 5 lbs of the Pilsen DME to close it out (so my total will be 15 lbs).

i will also take 5 lbs of the flaked oats.

just sent you payment for everything except the Bavarian Wheat DME and the flaked oats, as those two aren't closed yet.

hey frits - i'll take the last 5 lbs of the Pilsen DME to close it out (so my total will be 15 lbs).

i will also take 5 lbs of the flaked oats.

just sent you payment for everything except the Bavarian Wheat DME and the flaked oats, as those two aren't closed yet.

Added.

Payment received.

Just paid my $38.85 for PBW split. If you need help for Flaked Oats, at the end, let me know. I could probably take 10#.

Received, thank you!
That would help. I won't be around to pick up the oats slack.

Still looking for payment from @djpuckett for C40 and @intel61 for Pilsen Light DME.
Those splits have closed, please remit, thanks.

Current Status:
60 sacks, 4 of those are open splits with 110# to go.

Please try to fill these open splits during next week, for round 2, which will close the order for splits:

• PBW 20#
  • Simpsons Peated 40#
  • Briess DME Bavarian Wheat 20#
  • Flaked Oats 30#

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL INVOLVED IN GROUP BUY #12:

IslandLizard will not be attending this pickup, so we need to pull together as a group and help fill the gap as Frits does so much to ensure that these buys work seamlessly! To that end, I need help with the following:

1) BAGS: you have almost 3 weeks to collect grocery bags for the common cause, so please everyone try to stow a dozen or so in your vehicle so you have them on the pickup day. I would hate to get to splitting and not have anyplace but peoples pockets for their malt (wink!).

2) OVERSITE: I need a volunteer that is experienced with how we do splits to oversee the process in Frits' place, or someone to check off the full sacks while I do the splits...

3) SCALES: Need at least 4 or 5 sets of scales and a small bucket that fits on said scale for measuring out splits.

4) TABLES: one or two folding tables should do as we can use 3 Star's tables as well.

5) SPLITTERS: Need about 10 people, forming 5 two man/woman teams, to handle the chore of splitting the malt. Need someone who is on the DME split to split that, because no one likes to do it!

If you can help out, please post what you plan to do here so we don't have any surprises on the 16th of May...THANKS!!

djpuckett: please remit payment NOW! You are holding up the order...
ehedge: please send paypal and recall the eCheck NOW! You are holding up the order...

I will bring what bags I can, certainly enough for several splits.

I had a folding table at the last buy but we didn't need it. I will bring it just in case.

I don't have a scale, but I'm willing to help with splits. I can't provide over-site because I will be needing to leave as soon as all the splits are completed.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ALL INVOLVED IN GROUP BUY #12:

IslandLizard will not be attending this pickup, so we need to pull together as a group and help fill the gap as Frits does so much to ensure that these buys work seamlessly! To that end, I need help with the following:

1) BAGS: you have almost 3 weeks to collect grocery bags for the common cause, so please everyone try to stow a dozen or so in your vehicle so you have them on the pickup day. I would hate to get to splitting and not have anyplace but peoples pockets for their malt (wink!).

2) OVERSITE: I need a volunteer that is experienced with how we do splits to oversee the process in Frits' place, or someone to check off the full sacks while I do the splits...

3) SCALES: Need at least 4 or 5 sets of scales and a small bucket that fits on said scale for measuring out splits.

4) TABLES: one or two folding tables should do as we can use 3 Star's tables as well.

5) SPLITTERS: Need about 10 people, forming 5 two man/woman teams, to handle the chore of splitting the malt. Need someone who is on the DME split to split that, because no one likes to do it!

If you can help out, please post what you plan to do here so we don't have any surprises on the 16th of May...THANKS!!

I MAY be able to do the oversight piece. I also have a 75# scale.

Not involved in this buy, but I need to pick up my grain(11 lbs. Lt. Munich) from last time that Tony has. I'll be late so I can get some 3 Stars beer, but will pitch in if needed.

Not involved in this buy, but I need to pick up my grain(11 lbs. Lt. Munich) from last time that Tony has. I'll be late so I can get some 3 Stars beer, but will pitch in if needed.

Yah...I have a sack of Lt. Munich in the garage from last buy. Gotta figure out who gets what as that was ages ago...:D

I'd like to add an additional RAH1002, spoke to tony and he said it wasn't to late. Sending payment today!

Cheers,
Joshua

Order is in. Will let you know what I hear back over the next couple of weeks. May have an extra sack of pils ordered if someone needs it...not sure on that yet.

URGENT QUESTION:

If you cannot get Gleneagles MO, would you want us to sub with Crisp MO? This question is coming from our buyer as he says it is very rare that we get the GE MO when we order it. I know we have, but I can only remember one time...

I have a sheet of paper somewhere in this mess of a house (putting in new flooring wrecks your house, esp. if you are dumb like me and do it yourself!) with who gets what on the Munich. OK...just found it...looks like 15# for Kisejohn, 20 for robfar of which 9 goes to me, and 20 for claphamsa. Mystery solved and seems to check with the board. Yay!

Stephan: waiting on payment for the pils, if it comes in then it is gone, but if not thanks for stepping up!! Will let ya know...

Latest posts

Back