DC Area Group Buy #14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just planned out my next 6 months and wow. I have really stock-piled grain this year! I do need some hops and yeast, so I will certainly be at the next buy to help out with splits and support 3 Stars!

I'll close out the 10# of 1959C - Dingemans Aromatic Kiln 50 Lb
I'll also take 10# of WEY1031 - Weyermann CARAMUNICH Type 1 25 kg (55 lb)
Thanks!

I know splitting sacks of the most common base malts is discouraged but we often have interest in some splits of a few staples like wheat or marris otter. I'd like to open a split on the Avanguard Wheat malt. If it doesn't fill out, I'll take the whole sack.

25 lbs - SKU 1866C - Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb

Sheet updated. Please verify your updates are correctly entered.

Available (lbs) Grain Type
0 Weyermann Munich Type 1 25 kg (55 lb)
0 Weyermann Munich Type 2 25 kg (55 lb)
20 Crisp Crystal Dark 77L 25 kg (55 lb)
0 Dingemans Aromatic Kiln 50 Lb
0 Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
15 Château Special B 25 Kg (55 lb)
20 Weyermann CARAMUNICH Type 1 25 kg (55 lb)
0 Flaked Oats 50 lb
30 Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb

I know splitting sacks of the most common base malts is discouraged but we often have interest in some splits of a few staples like wheat or marris otter. I'd like to open a split on the Avanguard Wheat malt. If it doesn't fill out, I'll take the whole sack.

25 lbs - SKU 1866C - Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb

I am okay with Wheat splits. Many folks, including me, use wheat as a flavor note in IIPAs and other beer types, so it is one of the "base malts" I think people would like splits of...ditto for GP and MO.

Shout out to the Derwood/Rockville crew I saw out tonight at 7 Locks brewery!! If you have not been there, you should give them a try! Solid, not sensational, beers IMHO. Nice to see some of the group grain buy folks out and about! Cheers!

T

Shout out to the Derwood/Rockville crew I saw out tonight at 7 Locks brewery!! If you have not been there, you should give them a try! Solid, not sensational, beers IMHO. Nice to see some of the group grain buy folks out and about! Cheers!

T

That seemed like a quick build out! Got to check it out!

Shout out to the Derwood/Rockville crew I saw out tonight at 7 Locks brewery!! (...) Nice to see some of the group grain buy folks out and about! Cheers!
T
wait, what?!? is there a top-secret invite-only list one has to apply for to get invited to these gatherings?!?

glad y'all had fun, lemme know next time :D

Sheet updated. Please verify your updates are correctly entered.

Available (lbs)Grain Type

0Weyermann Munich Type 1 25 kg (55 lb)

0Weyermann Munich Type 2 25 kg (55 lb)

20Crisp Crystal Dark 77L 25 kg (55 lb)

0Dingemans Aromatic Kiln 50 Lb

0Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb

15Château Special B 25 Kg (55 lb)

20Weyermann CARAMUNICH Type 1 25 kg (55 lb)

0Flaked Oats 50 lb

30Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb

I will take the following splits:

5 lbs Crisp Crystal Dark 77L 25 kg (55 lb)
5 lbs Château Special B 25 Kg (55 lb)
10 lbs Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb

Cheers,

Kirk

Last night happened to be coincidence but maybe it is something worth organizing going forward as a chance to meet up more than the once every 3 - 4 months we get at 3-stars. 7 Locks is definitely worth a visit if people want to meet up there in the future or Suspended Brewing should be opening in the next few months and I think it will be deserving of a try as well.

Sweetcell: Even though there should be a not so top-secret club, this time was just me, xcdarrel17, and a buddy seeing Tony as we walked into the tapoom. As long as you like beer, food, and maybe ping pong, we will let you know next time we are checking out a fun sounding local spot.

As for 7 Locks, Stonebrewer's review is pretty spot on. All the beers were very solid, clean, and drinkable, specially considering they have 6 on tap and have been open for just over a week. After getting the flight I don't think there is anything I wouldn't enjoy having a pint of. Hopefully in the future they throw some bigger flavor and more aggressive beers in their lineup but stick with some of these recipes to keep their offerings balanced. Easily worth a visit and support to keep the Maryland brewing scene growing!

Sweetcell: Even though there should be a not so top-secret club, this time was just me, xcdarrel17, and a buddy seeing Tony as we walked into the tapoom. As long as you like beer, food, and maybe ping pong, we will let you know next time we are checking out a fun sounding local spot.

Yah, quite a coincidence...a THUR night outing is VERY rare for me. My coworker who has been tracking the progress of the brewery for months twisted my arm (didn't take much!) a little and 4 other coworkers enough to get us out of the office early. The Red Rye was pretty flavorful and perhaps my favorite of the flight. Beers are CHEAP for MOCO/DC area as well! Everything on tap was relatively low (under 6%) ABV, so you could have a couple and not feel the need for an Uber. We should plan a DC Group Grain Buy takeover sometime during the holidays!

i like all these things, and i will kick all y'allz asses at ping pong :rockin:

lemme know!

Challenge accepted! We play most Tuesday nights at my friends house in Derwood, send me a message if you want to join in. The first few games are usually competitive, then the beer kicks in...:ban:

Yah, quite a coincidence...a THUR night outing is VERY rare for me. My coworker who has been tracking the progress of the brewery for months twisted my arm (didn't take much!) a little and 4 other coworkers enough to get us out of the office early. The Red Rye was pretty flavorful and perhaps my favorite of the flight. Beers are CHEAP for MOCO/DC area as well! Everything on tap was relatively low (under 6%) ABV, so you could have a couple and not feel the need for an Uber. We should plan a DC Group Grain Buy takeover sometime during the holidays!

It was good seeing you there :mug: A group grain buy takeover in the future would be awesome. As for the beer, I think I enjoyed the english bitter the most. It actually wasn't what I expected flavor wise, but it tasted delicious.

Im adding to my order. Doing 10 gallon batches and i go through things a lot faster. Put me down for;
1 sack CRI1001 Crisp Finest Maris Otter
1 sack 1927C Briess Pale Ale 2-row Malt

Im brewing IPAs and Marzens till im out of keg space and before the garage gets to cold.

I never brewed all grain before, but what they hell. I'll figure it out. I am a little worried this will be a Saturday that i am out of town... Thanks stone brewer for setting this up!!

1 sack SKU#1850C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PILSEN

I am a little worried this will be a Saturday that i am out of town...

If you aren't able to make it to the buy just throw a message up on the thread. There will likely be someone who lives close to you that can pickup and hold onto grains your grains until you can workout picking them up.

Good luck getting into all grain, it feels like a big jump at first but once you get a feel for it you will never look back!

Yeah I am excited about giving it a go. I figured I do a pils since it the only grain on the bill. Pretty simple. I've got all the equipment and I do plenty of research. I am excited to meet some local homebrewers as well.

As far as picking it up there is only one weekend I am out of town and I think I saw someone from Woodbridge that made an order. Kirk I believe. I'll cross that bridge if it comes to that.

See you all soon!

That wheat split went too quick to get in on. I'd like to open another. I'll take what ever is left it the split doesn't finish. Please add the following to my order.

20# - SKU 1866C - Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb

Yeah I am excited about giving it a go. I figured I do a pils since it the only grain on the bill. Pretty simple. I've got all the equipment and I do plenty of research. I am excited to meet some local homebrewers as well.

As far as picking it up there is only one weekend I am out of town and I think I saw someone from Woodbridge that made an order. Kirk I believe. I'll cross that bridge if it comes to that.

See you all soon!

Just in case you are interested this is a real nice recipe thats quick and simple.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=100625
A couple of us have brewed this several times and it comes out great! :mug:

Update; as usual check me...drinking BCBS Barley Wine :D

Available(lbs) Grain Type
0 Weyermann Munich Type 1 25 kg (55 lb)
0 Weyermann Munich Type 2 25 kg (55 lb)
15 Crisp Crystal Dark 77L 25 kg (55 lb)
0 Dingemans Aromatic Kiln 50 Lb
0 Briess 2-Row Caramel 60L 50 lb
10 Château Special B 25 Kg (55 lb)
20 Weyermann CARAMUNICH Type 1 25 kg (55 lb)
0 Flaked Oats 50 lb
0 Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb
35 Avangard Malz Premium Wheat 55 Lb

15# of the new wheat split, please.

I was going to wait until the next buy, but who knows when that pick up date that will be.

Thanks.

I will take the last 10# of the wheat split to close it out if it isn't claimed yet.

Patrick

Guys I have a ton of 2014 leaf hops that I'll part with.

All have been freezer kept in either vacuum bags or original mylar.

I can post a list later for those who may be interested.

I could be interested in some. Let me know what you have and what you are thinking price wise and what not.

Patrick

We are close to closing this buy, so please get any last minute orders in and close out the last three splits if you can (Dark Crystal (15), Special B (10), CaraMunich(20)). I've got an email into the brewery to see when they can support over the next month or two. Once I hear from them, I will set a close date. We will do either 2 or 3 weeks in advance to allow for all the grain to come in.

Looking to see if folks want to meet up next week at 7 Locks Brewery, so if you want to let me know which day Wed/Thur/Fri works best for ya.

Pro. Here is what I got:

1# - Hallertau
1# - Magnum
1# - Summit
2# - Mosaic
3/4# - Chinook
3/4# - Sorachi
1/2# - Amarillo
1/2# - Centennial
1/2# - Citra
1/2# - Simcoe
1/2# - Palisade

I know there's more, but that is a quick check against my BeerSmith inventory.

$5 per 1/2# seem reasonable? Will sell the whole lot for $75. That seems fair, not having to pay shipping.
sweet stash, brah. normally i'd jump on those but i'm under pressure to take up less space in the freezer... that, and i'm a pellet guy.

Back