DC Area Group Buy #13

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll look at my files when I get home. If you want, I can send you the BS file.

Exact recipe, as brewed:

1# - Rice Hulls
9# - Optic
7# - Torrified Wheat
2# - Flaked Wheat
2oz - Hallertau @ 30m
2oz - Sweet Orange Peel @ 15m
1oz - Bitter Orange Peel @ 15m
1oz - Coriander @ 10m

Yeast - Forbidden Fruit

O.G. - 1.048
F.G. - 1.014
ABV - 4.5%
IBU - 17
SRM - 3.2

75m mash @ 148F

10.5g - into fermenter (.7g loss to trub, equipment and shrinkage)
12.7g - pre-boil
11.2g - post-boil

Awesome ... I'm gonna brew it. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for sharing!

Hi all,

great fun at the pick-up! Thanks Tony and Mike for organizing and to the late dwellers who checked out some of the 3 Stars brews, excellent Citra Lemon Saison and an outstanding Raspberry Sour (and I usually do not like sours).
Did we ever figure out what was up with that unclaimed sack of Avantgaard Wheat Malt?
Looking forward to the next buy, and happy brewing everyone!

No on the wheat. I checked my records, the invoice, etc. We only had 2 sacks of wheat. I am thinking it was an accident, but I counted the sacks 3 times and got 48 each time which matches what we ordered. Scratchin' the ol' noggin' on this one...

Credit where credit is due... This thing is Tony's show. I just help when/where I can.

Really it is everyone who pitches in to do this, my part is no bigger nor less than anyone else's! Where would we be if Keith didn't snag those great buckets for us? Or Mike didn't bring a scale, make all the labels, and lead the split team? Or the folks who show up time and again and help with anything we need from hauling sacks outta the cooler to splitting DME? Or 3 Stars for helping us out with the goods and the place to meet? Or all you wonderful folks who bring in your latest brews for us all to sample and talk brewing about? I know Mike and I (and others!) feel this is like our own little homebrew club. Cheers all!!

T

Really it is everyone who pitches in to do this, my part is no bigger nor less than anyone else's! Where would we be if Keith didn't snag those great buckets for us? Or Mike didn't bring a scale, make all the labels, and lead the split team? Or the folks who show up time and again and help with anything we need from hauling sacks outta the cooler to splitting DME? Or 3 Stars for helping us out with the goods and the place to meet? Or all you wonderful folks who bring in your latest brews for us all to sample and talk brewing about? I know Mike and I (and others!) feel this is like our own little homebrew club. Cheers all!!

T

Well said, bro!

Anyone here try Brew in a Bag? I want to use this method for small batch SMaSH recipes. I am talking on the 2-2.5 gallon size on the stove. I have read a bunch of websites. I am looking for advice, gotchas, experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I only BIAB; primarily 5G batches. It's easy and you will find it highly recommended by many as an efficient method of producing high quality beers.

I'm BIAB only after moving to all grain. 10 gallon batches with a 230v induction cooker. Pretty easy and I usually end up with a higher efficiency than my recipes call for due to a tight crush. Only issue I have is high gravity stuff, not being able to mash all that grain. I'll do a 5 gallon batch, or double brew day.

i did BIAB for a while, until i built my single-tier. i liked BIAB and made and great beer (IMHO). Jamil likes to point out that the one drawback of the process is that you don't recirc/vorlauf the wort so it's more cloudy than traditional mashing. i'm not sure how important that is, tho...

traditional BIAB is to use all your water from the outset. i never did that. i always mashed with 1.5-1.75 qt/pound, then used the rest of my water for a batch sparge or two. definitely increased efficiency.

Back