Das Keyboard - Ultimate or Professional?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHP

Reaction score
So, I have decided I'm going to purchase the Das Keyboard (Das Keyboard: The mechanical keyboard that clicks). I know, $130 for a keyboard, but I'm switching from a laptop to a desktop, need a keyboard and just cant stand the quiet-key type keyboards.

Do I get the Ultimate model that has nothing printed on any of the keys? I never look at my hands when I type ... usually. I sometimes do when typing special characters, but this would definitely break me of that habit.

On the other hand, I dont want to spend $130 on something thats going to piss me off when I want to look at the lettering on the keys...

Opinions?

Go to a little computer shop that sells used/old parts and pick up an old IBM mechanical keyboard for $5.

Das Keyboard is neat, but it's a really expensive novelty. Especially the blank one.

...and I say this as someone with a PC approaching $5K, with 4 video cards.

I've got a shelf full of tactile keyboards.

The problem is they don't have a Windows key, which I use very often to open Windows Explorer (Win+E), and the run command (Win+r) and several other shortcuts. Plus they are all straight keyboards, and I really have to have an ergonomic keyboard or my wrists hurt very quickly.

Also, the lady in the office next to me would go nuts if she had to listen to me typing on HBT all day long...

Yeah, I want USB and the windows/mac key. That is worth $105 for a refurb.

SO ... blank keys, or printed keys?

Do you know every key? Page up, page down , insert, ^? The blank one is neat to force yourself to type better, but their are keys you just don't use often.

What?! My $10 Microsoft keyboard (new, retail, usb) looks nicer, and has more functions. $130 for a clicking keyboard? Sorry I just really don't get it.

What?! My $10 Microsoft keyboard (new, retail, usb) looks nicer, and has more functions. $130 for a clicking keyboard? Sorry I just really don't get it.

Yeah. I just spent $10 on 1 bottle of Dogfishhead 120. I guess to some people who only buy 18 packs of Milwaukees Best, that would be insane.

I rarely look at my keyboard but enough people use my CPU to where it would only cause issues.

I too dislike the silent keyboards. I feel productive when I hear the clicking.

I loved my ICQ interface with click noises enabled. Luckily my keyboard is clicky enough without sounding like a typwriter. Clicky keys makes me sound like a much faster typer.

TxBrew said:
I rarely look at my keyboard but enough people use my CPU to where it would only cause issues.

I too dislike the silent keyboards. I feel productive when I hear the clicking.

It's the tactile feedback that's most satisfying about those keyboards though.

It's the tactile feedback that's most satisfying about those keyboards though.

Exactly. Plus it lasts about 10x longer than the standard quietkey and you can type faster because the key is registered about half way down its travel which prevents bottoming out and allows you to hop to the next key quickly. All of these claims were made by ars: Ask Ars: Ergonomic Keyboards 101

Back