Computer Mouse and Keyboard recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I spend about half my day (long days!) writing code. Keyboard and mouse usability is a big deal for me.

I'm thinking about getting a new keyboard. I don't care about wireless (it's nice, but not necessary). Does anyone have a thought about membrane vs mechanical keys? Also, I don't use the numeric keypad ever, so I'd love to get rid of that just to get my mouse closer to my hands. Audio volume knob/buttons would be sweet.

Mouse thoughts? This is a personal preference I know, but I've always used logitech unifying wireless models. I like a medium size (don't need those super-tiny laptop mouses). Bluetooth is not good as my PC doesn't have that. Wireless for the mouse is mandatory.

Mousepad: even though the mouse is optical, I need a VERY slick surface. I was using a ceramic tile until recently. It was just not slick enough. I'm now using a 3M Precise Mouse Pad which is very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Razer products. Might be overkill considering they are marketed for gaming uses. Definitely prefer mechanical.

I use this keyboard at work. I love it!

71dNNgV8PlL._SL1200_.jpg

As far as mouseses go, it really depends on how ergonomic you want to go. Pretty much anything marketed as 'gaming' seems to be comfortable for extended use.

Are far as slick mouse pads go. You can't get any more slick than this...
41sScUij%2BkL.jpg

Talk about fending the women off with a stick!! Don't forget to don the matching shirt.

I like thinner, low profile keyboards, with low key travel, but yet springy enough to get feedback. I have been using a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (LZ938BD) for years. Not sure if they still make/sell those.

Where I worked a few years ago we were iMac based, and had iMac keyboards which are similar to that Logitech, but with a lighter touch, and nice low key travel. Very decent, I wrote a few 100k lines of code with those.

I don't know anything about the Mouse 2 they're selling now, but we used the original iMac mouse which are very OK, once you get used to them. They're very light and responsive, not much mass, and probably not for everyone (PC based). I liked them. They had that little scrolly knob on top.

The Logitech MX Revolution (M-RBQ124) has been the all time mouse champion for me, alas discontinued, and succeeded by the MX Performance (office use oriented) and the MX Master (more gaming oriented, IIRC). The back and forward buttons on the newer Performance model are located a little higher than on the older Revolution (the one I love), too high in my opinion, so you're more likely to thumb-press the (useless) button underneath. I guess one can learn to reach a tad higher...

On all those 3 Logitech mice, most buttons are configurable, even per app, so that's nice. The scroll wheel can get programmed into "free spin" mode or "discreet steps" depending on your app, which is really nice. For example, free scrolling in Chrome, soft clickies in Excel.

Last edited:
I'm on my 3rd M705 Marathon mouse. They have a very good feel for me. They are nearly the perfect mouse, not that I discovered I could remove one of the 2 AA batteries and make it much lighter. The thing just glides across my mousepad now. I do like the feel of the wheel. I seldom use any of the buttons other than the normal 2, plus the wheel.

I made the mistake of buying this fancy superthin logitech bluetooth mouse for my laptop. That think is a carpal tunnel machine. I've abandoned that mouse altogether. I hate laptops, so I never used it much anyway.

I'm thinking about getting this keyboard. Thoughts? I can get rid of the useless number keypad.

Lenovo ThinkPad Compact USB Keyboard with TrackPoint

91ZzMvLUNmL._SL1500_.jpg

Space bar looks small, and the right control button seems too far to the left for my liking. Caps lock is too big, as is the right shift. Having the function key to the left of the control key would drive me mad.

Will it work? Sure. Would I buy it? Nope.

Aside from all that, I do appreciate what you're saying about moving the mouse closer to the keyboard, but I use my number pad excessively, so losing that would certainly be a challenge.

Space bar looks small, and the right control button seems too far to the left for my liking. Caps lock is too big, as is the right shift. Having the function key to the left of the control key would drive me mad.

Will it work? Sure. Would I buy it? Nope.

Aside from all that, I do appreciate what you're saying about moving the mouse closer to the keyboard, but I use my number pad excessively, so losing that would certainly be a challenge.

Yeah, I'm a little nervous about the Fn/ctrl layout there. Spacebar I can deal with. It does look a little small, but analyzing how I slap the space bar, it's pretty much in the middle with both thumbs.

Not sure if you use multiple computers throughout the day, but I've been using a Logitech M720 and Logitech K780 for the last few months (since they came out). I use it for my Mac & PC as both keyboard and mouse can be used on 3 different devices.

I hope whatever you find keeps your hands and wrists in good health. I like the gel pad that sits in front, for mouse too. Maybe go and try a bunch out before buying?

Having the function key to the left of the control key would drive me mad.

This... my work laptop is a Lenovo and I can't freaking stand that function key... whoever thought that was the right place to put it was on some serious drugs.

FWIW, I use a MS ergonomic keyboard... took a couple of weeks to get used to it, but it has certainly eased the stress on my wrists (carpal tunnel issues) and now it's weird coming home and using a normal keyboard.

I've always had Thinkpads and my current one has this keyboard. This one is a change from the classic Thinkpad keyboard in that this one is a 'chiclet' style and some of the keys have been moved around. They say they haven't changed what is under the keys. At first I was skeptical but after three years of use I find this keyboard to be very solid with great tactile feedback. It's as good as the classic keyboard. I got over the repositioning of keys in about an hour of use.

Amost $10 cheaper direct from Lenovo... http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories/keyboards-and-mice/keyboards/KEYBOARD-US-English/p/0B47190

I haven't tried one yet but my next mouse will be a vertical one. I'm starting to feel the strain of using a regular mouse.

This... my work laptop is a Lenovo and I can't freaking stand that function key... whoever thought that was the right place to put it was on some serious drugs.

Yeah, too many CTRL+<key> combinations to be used in general to make that feasible... Especially for a coder, I'm sure there's a lot of copy/paste. And for me, I constantly use the CTRL+Enter for sending emails rather than clicking.

That would drive me nuts.

I've used an MX Anywhere mouse for years. Friend has been using the same M705 for years. Every few years the microswitch will fail in one and I'll have to solder a new one on.

I love the feel of the MX Anywhere. So far no issues with carpal tunnel symptoms.

Been using a Fellow ergonomic keyboard after my old Belkin gave up the ghost. I've tried a newer Microsoft ergonomic, but it's just too extreme. I could not type on a plain keyboard for very long without my arms aching.

Back