darndest thing. why no secondary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobyone

Reaction score
so this past weekend I transferred my wheat beer to my secondary fermenting vessel. I added the raspberries to it, about 1 lb. (only a 3 gallon bucket) and set in my cooler. the odd thing is I got airlock activity about 5 minutes after transferring but not a dang thing since. This all took place friday night. I'm not concerned but does this seem odd? from all the previous comments I was expecting some epic secondary fermentation, blow off tubes and stuff. Thanks

how long was it in primary? most ales will get through the bulk of fermentation ina couple of days. 1 lb of raspberries does not contain a ton of sugar, so it will get it to kick up a little bit but you shouldn't expect much activity. I just added 4 lbs of raspberries to a beer and did not get any blowoff or even krausen.

Also, airlock activity is not a good gauge for fermentation, generally, as there are a lot of mitigating factors that can have an effect on how your airlock behaves.

it was in the primary for 17 days and my cooler ranges between 65* and 68*. I took a hydro reading the last 3 days of primary and it was steady all 3 days. i plan on letting it stay in the secondary for at least a week maybe 2

ah, sorry, I misunderstand cooler for cold storage...nothing wrong with those temps

so, I'm going to have to second kevmoron's ideas above

When you rack beer, any CO2 dissolved in solution is going to come out, kind of like how you get head on beer when you pour it. This is likely what you saw in the airlock.

Back