Dark Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
So turns out fate is against me making a pilsner and I am left with 4 kg of crushed pilsner malt approaching expiry.

I need to use it up in a style that benefits from pilsner malt but has some significant complexity and bold flavors to hide any stale qualities of the malt (though I don't expect any as the malt has been stored well)

After some thought decided on a dark saison, mainly because its a commercially unavailable style (at least for me) and it a bit more inspiring than a straight up saison (at least in the winter months)

Here's what I got so far

8.5lbs Pilsner malt
2lbs turbinado
1lbs flaked rye
0.5lbs midnight wheat
0.25lbs caraaroma
0.5 oz of warrior @ 60min
1 oz of saaz @10min
1 oz of saaz @ KO

Ferment with a blend of Wyeast 3724 & WLP565

Post fermentation adjuncts
1 oz of whole coffee beans (variety yet to be selected, but probably a light fruity roast)
2g Cardamon seeds

SG 1.063
FG 1.004
IBU's 27

Thoughts? Advice on adjunct quanities especially.

:mug:

This actually sounds really interesting. I'm not sure if you NEED the coffee beans, as you'll have plenty of complexity with everything else, but hey why not?

I like the use of both 3724 and 565. I've always wanted to try that but I'm too cheap to buy 2 yeasts

So turns out fate is against me making a pilsner and I am left with 4 kg of crushed pilsner malt approaching expiry.

I need to use it up in a style that benefits from pilsner malt but has some significant complexity and bold flavors to hide any stale qualities of the malt (though I don't expect any as the malt has been stored well)

After some thought decided on a dark saison, mainly because its a commercially unavailable style (at least for me) and it a bit more inspiring than a straight up saison (at least in the winter months)

Here's what I got so far

8.5lbs Pilsner malt
2lbs turbinado
1lbs flaked rye
0.5lbs midnight wheat
0.25lbs caraaroma
0.5 oz of warrior @ 60min
1 oz of saaz @10min
1 oz of saaz @ KO

Ferment with a blend of Wyeast 3724 & WLP565

Post fermentation adjuncts
1 oz of whole coffee beans (variety yet to be selected, but probably a light fruity roast)
2g Cardamon seeds

SG 1.063
FG 1.004
IBU's 27

I noticed in your current signature that you've got a "black saison" in the keg. Is that this recipe? How did it turn out? Anything you'd change? I would love to have a go at a dark/black style saison, but am having difficulty finding recipes with good feedback.

Yep that's the recipe. I did not add the coffee or cardamom in the end. It didn't need it.

The dark character is great, it doesn't overwhelm the yeast flavor and you get a nice blend spice and fruity esters.

If was going to add any spices maybe some bitter orange or seeds of paradise but I would only use small amounts.

I added the sugar on day 5. Fermented cool at 65 for two days the ramped to 95 by day 5.

Use tin foil instead of an air lock, FG ended up 1.000.

It's a nice beer give it a go.

Alright, so I promised I'd leave some feedback. Brewed a slightly modified version of this:

I dropped the CaraAroma, used table sugar instead of turbinado, and had to use rye flour instead of flaked rye (store issues).

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.010
Abv: 6.83%

No post fermentation adjuncts, used the Wyeast Farmhouse Ale, came out great! I'm looking forward to another batch. I was surprised the rye flour worked as well as it did.

Attachments

• 20171205_173502.jpg
    20171205_173502.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
Good work sir! What were your fermentation temps? I notice you got a slightly sweeter finish despite no caraaroma.

Feremented around 68 ambient, no forced ramp up at all. This was my first experience with that yeast in a beer, typically I use 565, so I was surprised as well when it stopped where it did.

Yeah you need some significant ramping to get it really dry with some saison strains. Still 1.010 is perfectly drinkable.

After some thought decided on a dark saison,

My thoughts were: Once you go dark, you never go _______(what fits that rhymes with dark?)

Thanks for posting, gives me some saison ideas to try. :cask:

I'm thinking of making 4% brew using pilsner, some rye malt, some dark LME I need to use up, lightly hopped with older homegrown hops, will try to keep the body light but give it some complex flavor. Use ameican saison blend yeast.

Last edited:
It will be good, imo a gentle roast character goes really well with saison yeast. In fact I really love roast malts with most Belgian strains.

Yeah you need some significant ramping to get it really dry with some saison strains. Still 1.010 is perfectly drinkable.

Oh absolutely. I think it's perfect where it's at. Looking to make a bigger (volume) version soonish. I don't think 1.5gal will last much longer.

I’ve had a few good dark saisons. I really liked goose island Pepe Nero...black pepper! Must be a thing as my favorite gin is Right Gin out of SWE with black pepper. Couldn’t place it until side pepper. Then it was obvious.

Latest posts

Back