Opinions on a Czech Dark Lager recipe for tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DatsyukianDeke

self-proclaimed
Reaction score
This recipe is partly based on what I have on hand and research, including the BJCP style guide. This seems like a category that has a lot of leeway as to the final product. All Weyermann malt, AG, I'd really like to do a double decoction (122, 147, 156, infuse to mash out) but I haven't made a final choice on mash schedule yet. If I pass on decocting, I may do a step mash with a small decoction to reach mash-out. But, I digress. Any input here is appreciated.

Czech Dark Lager - #37
5 lb Floor-Malted Pilsner (I have another 1.25 lbs on hand)
2 lb Munich I
1 lb Munich II
1 lb Vienna
.75 lb Cara Munich
.5 lb Carafoam
6 oz Carafa III
4 oz Carafa II

1.5 oz Saaz (2.4%) @ 60
1.5 oz Saaz (2.4%) @ 30
1.5 oz Saaz (2.4%) @ 10

WLP802 Czech Budejovice (BB 7/14/20) - 2 liter starter stepped up once (maybe twice)

OG: 1.050 FG: 1.007 SRM: 24.9 IBU: 25.2 ABV: 5.6%

I have another 1.25 pounds of Pils malt, a half pound more Carafoam, and another pound each of Gold Pils Vienna malt and Bonlander Munich sitting around, too, fyi. I also have the rest of the half pound of Saaz hops (3.5 oz).

Last edited:
IMO you gotta lot going on there. Ivan Chramosil, who served as the brewmaster at U Fleků for over 44 years, recommends 50 percent Pilsner malt, between 30 and 40 percent Munich malt, up to 15 percent of a caramel malt like CaraMunich, and at most 5 percent of a very dark malt like Weyermann’s Carafa II Special.

For ref this is my Dark Czech Lager grain bill:

53% Pils
30% Munich
15% Caramunich II
2% Carafa Special II

Deke, I'm with brewbama. Simplify that grist bill. Less is more here.

I’d go closer to 5% of the Carafa Special and add it at Vorlauf. I made this exact beer with around 2% mashed the whole time and it wasn’t dark enough IMHO.

this is my Dark Czech Lager grain bill:

53% Pils
30% Munich
15% Caramunich II
2% Carafa Special II

Looks solid to me, except that I'd go much lower on the Caramunich and up the Carafa. Especially at the strength intended by the OP

My recent batch of a similar beer has been one of my favourite brews yet, with the following grainbill:
3,2kg (66%) Crisp Maris Otter
700g (15%) Munich Malt
320g (7%) Crisp Crystal malt 150 EBC
280g (6%) Carafa Spezial
140g (3%) Biscuit Malt
140g (3%) CaraPils

OG was 1.042, and it was still really full-bodied.
Next time, I'd further reduce the dark crystal and upthe roast a bit.

Latest posts

Back