Dark Saison Base Malt: Golden Promise v. Optic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOriginalDBS

Reaction score
Hi All,

Wyeast is releasing PC-3725 Bière De Garde (Fantôme strain) April thru June. I'd like to brew a Dark Saison/Bière De Garde-ish recipe loosely based on Fantôme Noël.

I'd like to attain a sweet, honey and raisin-like flavor, so honey malt, D-180, and a bit of Special B will all be going into the recipe.

IN TERMS OF BASE MALT: which would be better? Golden Promise or Optic? I've brewed with both and I'm leaning toward GP, but given that there will be ~5% honey malt in this batch, I don't want to go overboard with sweetness. Optic malt has a nice aroma, but I don't want the beer to be too toasty (hence why Vienna and Maris Otter are not in this contest). Will the Optic give me too much toastiness, or am I safe to use it in this recipe?

Cheers!

I don't have any opinion on your base malt question, but I'd be interested to know more about your recipe. Not many dark saison, or even red saison, recipes with tasting notes to be found on the web.

I don't have any opinion on your base malt question, but I'd be interested to know more about your recipe. Not many dark saison, or even red saison, recipes with tasting notes to be found on the web.
~5% Honey Malt;
~5% Special B;
~10% Flaked Oats;
~10% D-180 Candi Syrup;
~10% Munich;
~60% Base Malt (TBD)

Another source for dark Saison/BDG recipes is Madfermentationist.

I did one recently with caraaroma and midnght wheat, tastes pretty epic.

I used pilsner malt as my base.

Back