Dark IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasBierIstGut

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm quite a fresh beginner to home brewing, I've only done a half dozen or so batches, and I love it! I'm looking to develop my own recipe and would like seasoned input on my idea before investing (and quite possibly failing). Through experience with the recipes I've done already and research on the forums I've come up with the flowing recipe and would like any criticism/advice.

6.6 lbs amber LME
1.5 lbs dark DME

.5 lb crystal
1 lb carafa
(Cold steep)

4oz cascade
3oz chinook
3oz centennial

Still working on the fine tuning, but any help with how those ingredients might work together would be grand, thanks!

What's your hop schedule? 10 oz is a lot O' hops unless most are late addition or flameout/whirlpool hops. I have yet to brew a CDA (upcoming though), so mainly I will be tuning in to see what others recommend.

I was thinking of going with a 60 min boil going with the following procedure:

2oz cascade - 60min
1oz cascade - 15 min
1 oz chinook - 15 min
1 oz centennial - 15 min
.5 oz chinook - 5 min
.5 oz chinook - 5 min

Dry hop remaining

swap out those darker extracts for light extract and you're good. personally, I'd flip the 15 & 5min adds too.

Given those hops, I would bitter with Chinook and use the cascade for aroma and flavor. They are respectively better suited for those purposes, though chinook can give you a nice spicy, dank character late so you should be good keeping the rest as aroma/flavor additions.

Awesome thank you all for the advice, so the revised recipe would be:

60 min boil

6.6 lbs light LME
1.5 lbs light DME

.5 crystal
1 lb carafa
(Cold steeped)

4oz chinook
3oz cascade
3oz centennial

With hop additions being
2oz chinook - 60min
.5oz cascade - 15min
.5oz centennial - 15min
.5oz chinook - 15min
1oz cascade - 5min
1oz centennial - 5min

Then remaining 1.5oz of each for dry hopping

Ferment for two weeks, then rack to secondary, dry hop for 1 week, then bottle.

How's that?

much better, however 2oz of chinook for bitting may be a bit excessive, what are you estimating for IBUs on that? if you cut any from bittering, move it back towards ends of boil, chinook fairs very well in black IPAs.

I would skip the secondary, you can just dry hop it in the primary for that week instead. it works just as well

You're right, after doing the math, I'd be at almost 72 IBUs with 2oz initially, I will do as suggested and put the other ounce in the late addition (I put it under the 5min) which gives me a more satisfactory 51-52 IBUs.

Back