DAP addition Geyser???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draygon

Reaction score
So I am making my second Mead (first was a semi dry Avocado mead), this one is a Sweet Mead. I did research from a few different places and recipes to come to a simple recipe of 18lbs Honey, a 2L starter of D47 and tsp of DAP and 2tsp of nutrient stirred to make the mead.

I read that it could be good for the yeast to add 1/2 tsp and 1 tsp of DAP 24, 48 and 72 hours after fermentation.....

Well I did the first addition today and it made an absolute mess, as soon as I dumped them in it started fizzing and foaming up, I put the lid on thinking it would be ok and the next thing I knew it blew my airlock out and started shooting everywhere. Is this normal? Should I not make those additions and just let it go?

Im an accomplished home brewer, new to mead and this is simple but a whole new animal at the same time...

Yes. Sadly, it's "normal" but it demonstrates poor practice. If you have CO2 dissolved in
the liquid - and you will do if you pitched the yeast and it has begun to ferment the sugars - then any particles that you add to the must - the powder- will cause the gas to nucleate and the gas will then gather, push to the surface and push ahead of it the column of liquid and if you were using a carboy as your primary fermenter then the neck will act to rifle the column of gas and liquid and it will have enough energy to paint you ceiling and walls.
The solution is simple - Stir to remove CO2 before you add anything; dissolve any powder in liquid BEFORE you add it to the must and preferably use a wide mouthed bucket as your primary. Mead ain't beer.

It's called a MEA (Mead Explosion Accident) :D

I like to pre-mix my nutrients in a small amount of must and keep it in a jar in the fridge. Stir / degas FIRST, then add the dissolved nutrient. It's the powder mixing with CO2 that makes the explosion.

Yeah, but it's not truly an "accident" (something unexpected and not anticipated). It is 100 percent predictable and avoidable. MEA is a gentle "euphemism" for poor practice...

Back