danstar belle saison yeast recipe recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
looking for a recommendation for a recipe to use this yeast with. Never brewed a saison so im in unfamiliar territory. I've looked thru the recipe forum, but not found much.

Not many recipes include that particul yeast, but you could sub it for whatever the recipe yeast is for a twist on the intended brew. Cottage house saison has a lot of good things about it, but I haven't brewed it yet. However it's on my to do list.

The base should be all pilsner malt, with a little bit of wheat and/or munich/vienna (1lb, 10% at most) thrown in.

Hop it to 20-30 IBUs with noble hops.

Pretty versatile style to work with :)

Here is my version of the Hibiscus Nelson Saison many on here have brewed:

9 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsen
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
4.8 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - First Wort 90. Hop
6.0 oz Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop
2.0 pkg Danstar Belle Saison (rehydrated)
2.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %]
8.00 oz Hibiscus (Secondary 7.0 days)

Any recommendations on fermentation temps?

Start in the mid sixties, ramp up 1 or 2 degrees each day until you hit the mid seventies or eighty degrees Fahrenheit. No need to go ridiculously high with this strain, it's a vigorous attenuator.

This yeast is pretty easy to work with!

I tried making a super simple recipe with this yeast.

10 pounds of 2-row
2.25 pounds of Munich 20L *
2 ounces Tettnang @ 60 minutes
1 ounce Tettnang @ 0 minutes
1 zest of one orange once wort has been chilled to 180F
1 package of Belle Saison, pitched at 80 degrees

Fermented on my kitchen counter in the middle of summer with the A/C set to 78 degrees. Fermentation appeared to be done in 3 days, but I gave it a whole two weeks, then racked to a keg. I skipped using any fining agents, and the result was that it was quite cloudy. I'd get sediment out of the keg for the whole first gallon I pulled from it, which might have contributed to a flavor I was not happy with, but after a few more weeks sitting still in the keezer it now has a very pleasing funk-ness with a little tartness to it.

* I made my own Munich by roasting 2.25 pounds of 2-row in the oven for 30 minutes at 300 degrees, which I let cool to room temperature, and then placed in a paper shopping bag for two weeks.

Thanks for the replies. I will try the recipe jamboo posted and see how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back