Dairy collector conversion to 'conical' fermenters using strut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadicalEd

Reaction score
As promised, here's a log on my progress on converting these monster dairy collectors into usable fermenters :).

These things are big. No, not big, BIG. They are 29" from the start of the welded fitting at the base to the lip on top, and 21" in diameter. A pure cylinder would be ~43 gallons, but I figure these are closer to 40 due to the curvature on the bottom.

They sit in steel hoops, which are intended to be wall mounted. But since I lack a wall that can reasonably hold 500 lbs, I'm building a stand for them.

After consulting with a civil engineer, he suggested foregoing my original wood 4x4 idea and go with strut. Turns out the stuff is super strong. I mean, I knew that brew stands had been built out of it, but I never really looked at the numbers. This stand is complete and total overkill, but that's just how I roll. Here's a partially done shot:

And a shot with most all the strut in place:

And a shot with the fermenter in place. Success!

Still need to do stand #2, and pick up a lot more bolts/nuts. Apparently I can't count right, so I bought half the number I need :/. Oh, and casters. Definitely need casters.

Fermentation temp control is coming, but will be a bit further down the line :p.

Thanks Mark!

I got it from a club member; he had it taking up space in his basement. He was planning on converting it, but never had the time.

I still need to get valves; The bottom valve is 3/4". Any recommendations?

Update time!

I finally have all the parts on hand and have some progress to share. So without further ado:

The steel hoops have been removed, sanded (with a grinder flap disc :rockin:) and painted with enamel paint, and finally re-attached. The casters were also attached:

r1jx.jpg

And a shot with the tanks on:
tg7v.jpg

Definitely going to need some clamps on the wheels to keep them from rolling around...

Now with the hardware on :D :

1hr8.jpg

Close-up of the hardware:
ojyu.jpg

Next up: I need to figure out the process for drilling out these compression fittings to allow me to install the thermowells...can anyone point me in the right direction? Anything better than just "clamp and use a grinding bit in the drill"?
orr0.jpg

Back