Cycling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boss has decided that "marketing the program" doesn't actually involve marketing the program and canceled our booth at a conference. Which means I now have two half-days free on my next circuit driving around the State. And that means I have a week to tune up my bike so I can take it with me and spend those two half-days cycling.

Got the evening ride done, also my first ride of the season. Kept it short: 6 miles in 30 minutes, because I got to the hotel an hour later than expected and was racing the sunset just to get that in.

I also didn't want to burn myself out for tomorrow. I figure I have time for a 90 minute ride before I have to checkout of the hotel and head to my next inspection.

I'm going to bump this thread again.

I just replaced the tires on my old bianchi. I should have listened to everyone on here and done it when I dug the bike out of storage. I got some Hemisphere Flak Jackets. I also, finally, learned how to replace tubes without pinching them.

I took it out on a test ride around the neighborhood and hit 25mph in 5th gear on not much of a downhill.

Now I just need to rewrap the handlebars and it's as good as new.

The plan is, when my schedule allows - about twice week, I'll ride it to and from the light rail stop. It's only 4.3 miles each way but it's about 500 feet in elevation. Then, when my daughter is in school, it will hopefully be more often than that.

Funny this should get bumped today. RAGBRAI - the "Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa" kicked off this morning in Sioux City. It's a week-long, 400+ mile ride across the state; usually draws 20,000-30,000 riders and support crew. This year, (second time in the last 5 years), the first overnight stop is the town I work in. I fully expect my 30 minute commute to take closer to an hour tomorrow. (Three years ago, when the route went directly past my house, I just took the day off instead of fighting the traffic.)

RAGBRAI

I really need to ride more... I bought a nice, double-suspended mountain bike years ago and over time, all the trails around here have disappeared, to be replaced with half-empty strip malls. I don't like riding on the roads around here (drivers are insane) but now I have road tires and ride on the American Tobacco Trail (mostly paved) when I can.

I actually miss riding around Prospect Park in Brooklyn. 3-4 laps there and I was done - especially Grand Army Plaza hill!

I'm filled with disappointment. I was happy I finally had the Bianchi in full working order. Excited to finally have a road bike and make some good time.

I tested it out on my standard quick evening ride at this hotel I stay at for work 4 - 6 times a year.

My time was 1 minute slower than the April ride on the Cannondale mountain bike.

WTF?

The bike has to be 10lbs lighter. I know I'm 15lbs lighter.

WTF?

On a side note: I lost my chamois cream since the last time I rode. I can't remember what I was using, but the stuff had a little bit of a camfor like effect to it. It was like giving my shorts a breath mint tainted with bengay.

There has to be something better.

1 min slower isnt much. It can depend on how tired your legs are before the ride or how much training you have done. My times on the same hill i train on vary day to day some days super fast some days slower.

Assos is a good cream to use. I also use another called udderly smooth. It has no smell to it at all.

Wind. I rode a new trail across a long bridge a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe my average time - I was FLYING! Then I turned around for the return trip and got smacked in the face by the wind that had been helping me all the way.

It wasn't windy either day. There wasn't much cycling between the two rides. I've been getting most my exercise building our dog up to 2.5 mile walks. When we adopted him a year ago, he would get tired after 0.5 miles. Now he's disappointed if we don't go at least 1.5 miles.

In April it was about 65F and yesterday it was 99F. Probably the bigger difference was I just finished 6.5 hours of driving before last night's ride.

Just finished riding again and I'm feeling better now.

Normally, on the mountain bike, I average 11 - 12.5mph. Today I averaged 14.1mph.

Does anybody ride single speed. I am setting up my mtb up soon to training for the SS world cup that ive entered my self in. As its in my local town and its a great opportunity. Can anybody recommend a good tensioner?

My wife and I finally got our schedules arranged so that I can bike to and from the train and she can take our daughter to school and pick her up.

Here's my 43 calorie burn to the train. Getting home won't be quite so fun.

image.jpg

My niner ros9 with some upgrades. I ride it a bit too hard I need to replace the rear hub again. Any recomendations on the toughest hub.

image.jpg

I've got a bunch of bikes. I have a daily rider, a Marin hybrid. I have a neighborhood druck bike, the Electra Townie (my fave). And a carbon fiber featherweight that I do the long road rides with. The only pic I have of that is on my car. It's a sweet ride if you like compact road bikes.

_mg_0164-65557.jpg

Fat Bikes seem to be the latest craze, and supposed to be awesome in the snow. I'm gonna Demo one soon.

Back