Cutting lubricant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemanach

Reaction score
What is suggested for oil when drillling into a keggle for soldering fittings on? I see Home Depot has Oatey Dark Thread Cutting Oil, would that be a good option or is there something different I should be using? I would prefer to stick to Home Depot or hardware store purchases rather than online because I want to get going this weekend.

Or can I use WD40, 3-1 oil, air tool oil or gun oil? It would be nice to use something I already have laying around rather than buying something for one use.

Of what you listed the 3 in 1 would probably work the best. Others have reported good results with various cooking oils even. I have access to cutting oil and taping fluid so thas what i use but just go slow and dont get it too hot.

If you got nutten else, just spit on it.

My grandfather worked with tool and die and always used kerosene, and it's widely available, so that is what I use. It is also what I use when sharpening knives

I like using vegetable oil, and go slow, nice sharp bits when dealing with items I will have beer in.

but cutting oil in a spray can for cooling the metal and the bit if not food grade.

Back