Cutting back first growth of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I'm in Western/Southern PA, elevation about 1100', USDA zone 6-7 and I read somewhere that its best to cut back the early season hop vines at the end of April.
The vines start over and then the hops will mature in the hotter/dryer part of the summer, basically being picked mid to late August or early September.
Without cutting back the hops can be ready to be picked earlier , sometimes late July or early August, when the humidity is much higher.
My Cascades are 2' long at this point, Brewer's gold somewhat shorter.
Growing them in the hotter part of the summer means I'll have to water more, but supposedly I'll get better hop flavor because of the heat/low humidity?
Anyone doing this?

I'm still new to the growing thing, but the bull shoots are to be trimmed according to conventional wisdom, allowing more prolific bines with close node spacings to grow. On the other hand, there are plenty of examples (@Denny ) who do nothing but pick from an untended, untrimmed, un-root-crown-manicured-yearly plant just fine.

I'm still new to the growing thing, but the bull shoots are to be trimmed according to conventional wisdom, allowing more prolific bines with close node spacings to grow. On the other hand, there are plenty of examples (@Denny ) who do nothing but pick from an untended, untrimmed, un-root-crown-manicured-yearly plant just fine.

Yep....23 lb. wet the last year I harvested. Did nothing but add some fish fertilizer at the beginning of the season.

I had this question as well. I have 8 second year plants all of which are taking off like crazy right now. I was wondering if I should cut back any of the shoots or just let them go. After reading this heck I may just let them go... or should I pinch a few off?
Neil

I’ve read that cutting the first bull shoots helps to increase the harvest as well as selecting a few bines and trimming back the others.

So are all these first purple shoots "bull shoots" will others grow if I snap all these off?
Neil

So are all these first purple shoots "bull shoots" will others grow if I snap all these off?
Neil
Yes, cut those off, the new growth will be sturdier and should be more productive.
You might find that your local university’s cooperative extension has detailed information pertaining to your region. Happy growing!

Here's post I found on another forum from 2015:

I did a test on side by side Cascades last year. I cut back one of the plants at about the end of April and let the already flourishing other plant climb. In my review of the results, I'd say that it improved the quality of the hops from the cut back plant. I'll continue to trim my plants from now on. Be aware that I'm at 40 degree Latitude and my date of trimming will be different from other latitudes.

I don't think you cut them back until the second or third year. They need to be well established first.

I don't think you cut them back until the second or third year. They need to be well established first.

Cool, thanks. That is what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. Just not enough eyes for new growth to get going otherwise. I ordered 1 Centennial Rhizome from Hops Direct and they sent me 2 and both came up. Both of them were pretty good size also. Very happy with them. I just need to get my trellis up before they get much bigger. I will add to it over the next few years and I want to experiment with some wild hops I know are growing out where we have summer cabins. The flooding has finally gone down out there so, hopefully, the plants can push through the sand, silt and mud left behind.

Back