Cut off time for using hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How long will you guys keep hops and continue to use them?

I'm getting ready to brew a NEIPA with citra, galaxy, and el dorado. I have some of each left from previous buys...
5.125oz 2017 Citra crop
4.125oz 2018 El Dorado crop
6.75oz 2018 Galaxy crop

They've been vacuum sealed tight and all came from 8oz packs and only opened once on initial use. They've been stored in the freezer the entire time.

Would you use these in a NEIPA? I'm really torn because we're sharing this one with a ton of people and I want it to taste fresh. I'm concerned these hops won't have that freshness to them and I'm leaning towards buying all new hops and using these elsewhere.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't necessarily use 2-3 year old hops for aroma, even if they've been frozen the whole time. For bittering I would use them without a second thought.

How old are they? Give them a sniff and make sure they smell ok. If they do, use them. Or, if you really need to make sure this beer has fresh hops for a special event, buy new hops for it, and use the stored hops another time. That will reduce your stress level on this particular batch.

How old are they? Give them a sniff and make sure they smell ok. If they do, use them. Or, if you really need to make sure this beer has fresh hops for a special event, buy new hops for it, and use the stored hops another time. That will reduce your stress level on this particular batch.
Thanks for the advice. That's what I ended up doing was buying new hops. I didn't want to chance it.

Back