Cuss me out for being a crappy homebrewer! lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks bracconiere, I will give the couple I plan to use a few more soaking and see how they smell.

@SanPancho I had thought about that too just did not want to buy selzer to just dump out. Might be the safest bet though to not get soda tasting beer.

Should post this in the 'how to avoid BMC-lite' thread fill up about 4 1 liter soda bottles and bring em with you, that's what i always did, i can be cool; and ghetto at the same time!

so...i got a batch going, it's at 1.008 with gluco, but it's only bubbling about a bubble every 3 seconds...thought about posting somewhere else about stuck fermentation...but figure this is the place to do it...(yes i like periods)...but damn it! now that's it's winter room temp is what you quality boys call good ferm temps!, now it's 65f inside and i can't ferment a batch in 4 days! i'm down to my last keg of cloudy beer that's over carb'd , and have to decide do i drink inbev IPA, or home made rum from the feed store? i got a dark and light...i watered down the dark to about 8% alcohol in a gallon jug, not sure what to do if the keg runs dry?

WWYD, i either have to break the law or succumb to big business....

I would cuss you out for letting your pipeline run dry!

Just kidding, if you have to buy a couple to get you through its not so bad, you fight the fight against the ABInBev boys 99% of the time.

I would cuss you out for letting your pipeline run dry!

Just kidding, if you have to buy a couple to get you through its not so bad, you fight the fight against the ABInBev boys 99% of the time.

Yeah, i got distracted with fights on other fronts...let my malt sit, while my stir bar was running.....but honestly pipes ain't dry...got gallons of homemade booze to drink, just not sure if the dehydrated feeling it gives me is worse than inebv beer, and the Bud IPA, has hops flavor just not any malt which i find funny!

(but yes, i've been running paycheck to paycheck so to say, keg to keg) got room for 6 but only been keeping 2 full, malting my own is fun though! just takes a week to do it!

damn, so, i'm drinking this what i would coin 'Fecal Phenom' beer right now. but it's all i have to drink. It's got a nice lactic sourness but the taste of poopy on the finish...

I soaked my fermenter with PBW, then a quarter cup of bleach. hoping i don't get something this bad again! my beer is always dirty, but normally doesn't taste pre digested....

and as a threat, here you go! :mug:

great name, but I would pick something else if I seen it on a menu. I know smell and taste are interlinked so hoping that is how you know the taste. :) I see barnyard as a description for some saison beers, I now wonder if that is what they are talking about.

When I brew with 3711 French saison yeast I make sure I don't keg until the beer in the fermentor stops tasting like vomit. Not sure if it is a byproduct of fermentation or just the flavor of the yeast itself.

Hey @bracconiere, I think I recall you mentioning that you had a hard time making very pale malt, I was wonder if the darker base malt you made at home is close to the historical brown malt used in porters or is it more like a munich malt.

great name, but I would pick something else if I seen it on a menu. I know smell and taste are interlinked so hoping that is how you know the taste. :) I see barnyard as a description for some saison beers, I now wonder if that is what they are talking about.

When I brew with 3711 French saison yeast I make sure I don't keg until the beer in the fermentor stops tasting like vomit. Not sure if it is a byproduct of fermentation or just the flavor of the yeast itself.

mostly smell~taste, but there was that once with my girlfriend.....lol

i'm repitching US-05, not sure if maybe it doesn't have as good of antimicrobial properties as nottingham, i've repitched notty for 1-2 years before...

Hey @bracconiere, I think I recall you mentioning that you had a hard time making very pale malt, I was wonder if the darker base malt you made at home is close to the historical brown malt used in porters or is it more like a munich malt.

i solved that problem with a 200ohm resistor on my oven temp probe recently. but it was a dark munich malt, being that it was kilned at ~200f for 12 hours.

I have had good luck with US05 being repitched close to 10 times I think. I have had issues with WLP029 a couple time after 5 repitches, so I don't push anything over 4 or 5 repitches now.

Thanks for the info on your dark base malt.

I have had good luck with US05 being repitched close to 10 times I think. I have had issues with WLP029 a couple time after 5 repitches, so I don't push anything over 4 or 5 repitches now.

Thanks for the info on your dark base malt.

i brew about 50 batches a year and repitch them all! normally no problems. not sour and not fecal, just slightly dirty.

(i see your from sf, it must be nice that MoreBeer is your LHBS)

I have three morebeers to choose from, two are about 15miles away but depending on the day and time it can be close to an hour trip in either direction so I make use of the free shipping quite often.

I generally repitch all of my yeast at least once, but I do a variety of styles so I use different kinds of yeast for different style making it hard to perpetuate too far. The few beers that have gone rouge on me have been wild yeast or cross contaminated inhouse and they turned out more Belgian or saison like than the clean American styles they were suppose to be. If I had done the beers on purpose to be that way I would say they were pretty good but because I knew what they should of been it was tough drinking something I knew was broken.

Also I figured out the soda smell in the 2litre soda bottles I cleaned up was coming from the cap liner. I bought some new caps and no more soda smell to the bottles. As a bonus it says on amazon I can now smuggle clear booze into events using water bottles.

Also I figured out the soda smell in the 2litre soda bottles I cleaned up was coming from the cap liner. I bought some new caps and no more soda smell to the bottles. As a bonus it says on amazon I can now smuggle clear booze into events using water bottles.

I forgot about the guy with the soda bottles! and if it's two liter bottles, you could just brew a light beer. fill it half way, and tell them that you don't want to have to walk to the restroom...

on a serious note, glad you have reusable containers now. i make crappy beer, so i guess i never noticed the soda smell.

and be careful with clear booze, PETE doesn't handle cask strength homemade. gotta water it down or it will dissolve the plastic.

2 liter soda bottles were my stopgap between bottle conditioning and kegging. Fill bottle with ice cold still beer leaving 1.5 inches of headspace, drop in 9 grams of dry ice, and shake like hell till it's all dissolved. It worked fine but It was a bit tiring worrying about losin digits/ disfiguring myself

just had to revive this for a giggle, lol....if i google "crappy homebrewer" this thread is first.....don't want to be forgotten! :mug: (and that's platonic, i know no-one would let me join fellowship of the drink, or whatever)

edit: and now i've spent more time in forums and know there's suppossed to be rules, i'm willing to let some else make them for my roast......:) i'm drinking cider, fermented with turbo yeast as i type....

Last edited:
They shut down the state owned liquor stores here, next there are rumors they'll close the privately run beer distributors. So even crappy homebrew is better than nothing in times like these.....
:inbottle:

hell, and A LOT cheaper i'll sell it for $1.99 a twelver for steele reserve, 8% ABV!!! i can make it dark, light, or in between if you want......(on a side note, i had to start using reusable toilet paper...cheaper still, but now i have TOO much money)

hell, and A LOT cheaper i'll sell it for $1.99 a twelver for steele reserve, 8% ABV!!! i can make it dark, light, or in between if you want......

Is that Steel Reseve recipe already in here somewhere?
I've been playing around with 6-row+ medium grain rice, with an overnight BIAB mash and getting pretty high ABV for a ridiculously low amount of ingredients.
I'm adding gluco-amalyse when adding the yeast.

Last edited:
Is that Steel Reseve recipe already in here somewhere?
I've been playing around with 6-row+ medium grain rice and Gluco-amalyse and getting pretty high ABV for a ridiculously low amount of ingredients.

the big boys malt their own.....lol, but yeah back when i could buy a 50lb bale of rice hulls for $8 at the garden shop, i could do a $8 dollar batch of white rice beer too, 20lb's white rice for like $8 at walmart, lots of hulls, amylase enzyme, gluco, pain in the ass sparge, but a drinkable rice beer at the end! it was kinda like water with mouth feel?, but 7+% alcohol....10 gallons.....:D and i drank it, and liked it!! unfortanatly their out of cheap 20lb bags of rice at the store now.....

(and gluco is the BOMB, if you track your calories, you'd realize how much it kicks the ass!!)..

i could post yet another tutorial on how i go from 23lb's 6-row feed barley for $6, to 20lb's malt to 10 gallons of 8% beer......

I'm glad you bumped this thread as I might not have seen it otherwise. You are doing things so wrong on so many levels that I don't know where to start. But just as an idea you might try, mix 5 lbs. 6 row, 5 lbs. 2 row, and you end up with 10 lbs. of 3 row. that changes the mash by a factor of like 2.98273 <> or there abouts.:confused: I also have an idea about the bottle dilema but I'm not sure you could pull that one off. As far as the problem with your periods...... I can't help there myself........but I could give you a phone # of a old gal I know.... she used to have a period problem too..... but not any more.:eek:
Make poopy beer great again!:rock:

mix 5 lbs. 6 row, 5 lbs. 2 row, and you end up with 10 lbs. of 3 row.

LOL, when i first started malting and thought i had to use my food dehydrator to dry it, i could only dry ~8lb's at a time and was mixing it with 5lb's of white flour.....maybe a boost from some table sugar....needless to say sparging was slow, like my brain most of the time...but i got an alcoholic liquid!!! with the help of my yeast i knew for a long time, but they say kviek is cool now, and Brüt is a thing now......

edit: 10 gallon batches.....

My beer would give you chills with the term "Happy Hour", :)

(and actually is you know one around 45-48, i'd be interested, lol)

edit #2: And Welcome! Most people take this beer stuff seriously around here, and make great beer, :D

Last edited:
OK, you seem kinda friendly,, the bottle thing,,,I'll share it you but everybody else must close their eyes for a bit.......(WHISPER,,,,,don't clean out you PET soda bottles when you reuse them,,,just call the floaties "dregs" and all the cool kids will drool,,,and be done with it.....we'll have to come up with a snappyer name for it though.) OK, as far as 45-48ers,,,at the home most are 55+ and,,, well,, not sure I'd offer them to someone who has so much to give to the brewing community...wouldn't want them to lead you away from something that ,,some day,,may be you gift to the world....
Humbly,
Joel B.

some day,,may be you gift to the world....
Humbly,
Joel B.

well Joel....i can't believe i only found your post in my thread just now! lol, i still consider my gift to homebrewing Brüt IPA! who else would give the world 'craft' lite beer! :D :mug:

(actually i was looking for my thread on co2....and yes i just have tee's, and no manifold for my 6 keg system, i just figure as along as it ain't soda pop, i'm good!!!)

De kegs are a big upgrade from soda bottles. eh?

Last time I drank beer from a plastic bottle, I was on this old converted fishing trawler that was serving as a ferry from Stewart Island (they might be calling it Rakiura now days) to South Island NZ. Got the full 2 liter bottle from the only pub on Stewart, sort of a weak NZ bitter, which is all you could get in most places at the time, regardless of which brand it was under. Two brands, same company, Lion and double DB if I recall, all their offerings tasted the same, just some were darker than others.

Anyway, me and this Canadian dude I'd met on the trail were drinking from our soda bottles of now warm beer, when the boat pulled out into the strait and rolled and pitched pretty well. The boat was no doubt a seaworthy vessle, but probably not the best choice for retail passenger service. Was a nice sunny day, just a bunch of chop, boat jammed w tourists. About 30% of whom proceed to heave chum all over the boat. I went to the head to take a leak , place was awash with vomit.

Anyway, neither I or my traveling companion got sick, but we both stopped drinking the warm brew, kind of lost our appetites I guess. Never did finish the bottle either, wanted cold ones when we got to pub on other side. Darn good fish & chips too, cooked in good lard and wrapped in newspaper.

I still have problem with beer in plastic bottle, anyway, hope this amusing addtion to your thread, bracco.

it was, funny enough to make forget why i came back here, to say something.......oh yeah, not only am i a crappy homebrewer.....aparently i suck at cider too! :)

i'm drinking this fermented cheap juice, and it's so oxidized it tastes like a brown apple......but i kinda find it sweet tasting, and don't mind it too much....(it covers up the taste of the turbo yeast i used to ferment it! and on my part i think it's a threat to you, but :mug:)

i was checking if googling my name still brought this thread up first...not anymore, but my handle and beer brought one up...made me laugh my ass off.....i was trying to make a joke about someone brewing with enzymes, and made the typo that read (tottaly as a homorous compliment) "you're on your way to brewing but" pretty sure it supposed to be brut....lol

well i have good news to report! i've been repitching dry premiere blanc wine yeast in my beer for ~6 times now, and it's starting to get some body to it!

(but i'm not sure if buttery is what most people hope from 'full body', lol, but it's over 9% alcohol, so just looking at it makes me happy! ;) and i got 92% effec, yea)

you farkin' Bud Light drinker you ... it's O'Douls bastages like you that give a bad name to legit home-brewers everywhere. you can take your Black Label nonsense and shove it right up your Zima. I had a "friend" who posted some yeast cake trub like that once - ONCE!

:ban:

(I tip my hat to Johnny Dangerously)
Nice Johnny D reference!

I haven't seen that fargin icehole bastage movie in a long time!

Back