Current Mini Fridge for 6.5gal Carboy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistercameron

Reaction score
I've been scouring the interwebs for information on mini fridges. As expected, most are used as kegerators. What I'm interested in, is finding a current model mini fridge that can fit a 6.5gal carboy. I've gone through all my options on Craig's List, but nothing has really panned out just yet (Though I'm keeping and eye out for reasonably priced Sanyos). Space is a bit of a concern, so I can't do a full ferm cabinet as some have built, and I would like to stay away from having to make a collar if I don't have to. I know it's easy, but my time is limited as I"m also working on a keezer to replace my dead kegerator (see Fridgenstein in my sig).

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks! :mug:

Found one - it's a frigidaire freezer less, in case anyone finds this. It looks remarkably similar to the legendary Sanyo models people often use for their kegs

Hi there! Just curious to know what model number the one you found was?

Im on the hunt myself right now for my 5 gal.

Thanks!

Glenn

Yes, model # would be great.

I am looking for a new mini fridge for a 6.5g bucket. I am scouring craigslist but the deals aren't there. Haggling people down to $100 for a 5 year old fridge isn't a good deal. :drunk:

The model number is 564.9549940

While $100 for an old mini fridge may sound like a lot, consider how difficult it might be to find the one you actually want. At least around here, models roughly this size go for roughly the same amount - $125.

The only modification I had to make was removing the shelving from the door, which I replaced with a piece of plastic panel. The seal isn't the most secure fit, but I'd rather not hack up original equipment if I don't have to.

The model number is 564.9549940

While $100 for an old mini fridge may sound like a lot, consider how difficult it might be to find the one you actually want. At least around here, models roughly this size go for roughly the same amount - $125.

The only modification I had to make was removing the shelving from the door, which I replaced with a piece of plastic panel. The seal isn't the most secure fit, but I'd rather not hack up original equipment if I don't have to.

I hear that, the fridges on CL around me are way overpriced, and trying to get the to tell you the model number is a chore. I wound up buying a chest freezer for $200 from Home Depot after a few fridges I had my eye on fell through.

I just scored a Frigidaire FFPE45B2QM on CraigsList. Like those of you in the thread, I am going to use it as Fermentation Chamber. This is a (technically) discontinued model from last year. The current model of this one is FFPE4522QM.

I haven't started working on it yet, since I just got it last weekend. But I will be using a dremel cutting tool to remove the freezer shelf at the top and the shelving in the door. From the measurements I've taken, it will then absolutely fit a 6.5 Carboy with airlock. (No need to mess with the compressor hump either, unless you want to.) It will fit my Ss Brewtech Brew Bucket as well.

Here is a picture someone else posted showing the cut out portions: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6801011&postcount=796

Hope this helps.

Bill

Last edited:
Hey Bill -

Any updates on this fridge and how it works as a fermentation chamber. I've been hung up on what to buy for fermentation and this seems like a good choice. Still happy with it? Does it indeed fit the SS brew bucket? I use a similar model for a kegerator, which can get temps pretty cold. Have you done any lagers using this model?

Thanks!

Back