Curiosity killed the noob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jes2xu

Reaction score
So first up hi everyone, it's my first post here and I'm excited to find such a great community! Every thing I ever google about brewing brings me here!

So I have just put down my first brew. It took all of my will power to keep this one stock standard, I just wanted to set a base line to work from.

It's a mangrove jacks brown ale extract kit, with a mangrove jacks brown ale DME pack. Temp has been between 70 and 72.

Ok so to satisfy my experimentation needs I'm thinking of splitting the brew into 2 second stages and dry hopping one of them. Problem is I only have 2 buckets.

Is it a really bad idea to rack it all into one bucket, clean the heck out of the primary and then rack half back into it?

Thanks in advance:)

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

In general, I am not a fan of "mucking" about with your brew. What you ae proposing is a double transfer then secondary in two buckets half full....while you might be fine, I don't see the return being worth the risk.

FWIW, I wouldn't even secondary, but rather just dry hop where it sits.

The more you handle your beer, the more it is exposed to oxygen and potential contamination.

Perhaps the best thing you can do for your beer is to ignore it...

What is it hopped with now? It is a brown ale. Not much hop presence is expected. I would leave it alone.

Thanks for the response! Yeah hear what you are saying about the handling.

It's not hopped with anything by me just whatever is in the LME and DME. I didn't even boil. I just straight up followed the instructions on the kit. Mixed it in the fermenter etc.

Another thing to consider; if you are doing a secondary you want to limit the headspace above the beer as much as possible. Too much risks oxidizing the beer.

So, ideally you would want two 2 1/2 gallon containers to split a 5 gallon batch.

I'm also at the point now where once I put it in the fermenter, I'll leave it alone (other than dry-hopping) until bottling time. The more you move it around means the more opportunity for contamination, or at least oxidation.

Plus, like masskrug said, brown ales generally aren't especially hoppy. If that's what you're interested in, go for it though. This is a hobby that encourages experimentation, after all.

Sent from my iThingy using a series of tubes.

I hadn't thought about the head space! Good point.

Guess I will wait till he next batch then :)

To be honest the experimenting was more about messing around with techniques and getting a taste for the fun of it. But....... I guess I should leave it be and increase the chances of its drink ability. After all..... I need to get the wife on board with the new hobbie haha

Experimenting is great. But like everyone else said, you need to have great respect for the bacteria that is floating around you everywhere. It wants to ruin your beer. Once you have a spoiled batch or two, you'll be much more hesitant to even open your bucket.

I'd just leave it alone until you're ready to bottle. Like you said, keep this one "stock standard".

Back