Cultured Odell's Yeast have no clue what it is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frettfreak

Reaction score
Let me clarify, i need to know if anyone has a clue about odell's yeast?? I have read that it could be some english strain, but when i am building my recipe in beersmith, i dont have a clue what min / max attenuation and flocculation or temp ranges so i cant really add the yeast. I could use 002 or something similar and make changes after i ferment a few but was hoping someone could help me out.

Anyone ever used this yeast and have some data you could share? Would really appreciate it.

I know they have a house yeast but I think I remember them saying they use a couple different ones plus the strains used in their sour/wild fermentations. I believe the house strain is an English strain that's mutated over the years. If I had to venture a guess, maybe WLP007/1098. What bottle did you harvest from?

Let me clarify, i need to know if anyone has a clue about odell's yeast?? I have read that it could be some english strain, but when i am building my recipe in beersmith, i dont have a clue what min / max attenuation and flocculation or temp ranges so i cant really add the yeast. I could use 002 or something similar and make changes after i ferment a few but was hoping someone could help me out.

Anyone ever used this yeast and have some data you could share? Would really appreciate it.

You can figure out what kind of attenuation they're getting out of the yeast from the ABV and a gravity reading of the beer. You'll need to degas the beer and warm it up to room temperature, and then use your hydrometer to see what the SG of the fermented beer is. Just as an example- Their 90 shilling is listed as 5.3% ABV. If you were to measure the gravity and get 1.010 (just a guess), then the starting gravity would be

5.3 / 131 + 1.010 = 1.050

And your apparent attenuation would be

1 - 10 / 50 = 0.80 = 80%

Once again, I just made these numbers up- you'll need to measure teh FG yourself. Also, disclaimer here, that is the attenuation that *they* are getting out of the yeast under optimal brewery conditions, and yours could be different.. but it's a starting point, at least. Temperature ranges, I think you really can't go wrong with mid 60's as a starting point. Higher depending on how much of that english ale character you want out of it.

You can figure out what kind of attenuation they're getting out of the yeast from the ABV and a gravity reading of the beer. You'll need to degas the beer and warm it up to room temperature, and then use your hydrometer to see what the SG of the fermented beer is. Just as an example- Their 90 shilling is listed as 5.3% ABV. If you were to measure the gravity and get 1.010 (just a guess), then the starting gravity would be

5.3 / 131 + 1.010 = 1.050

And your apparent attenuation would be

1 - 10 / 50 = 0.80 = 80%

Once again, I just made these numbers up- you'll need to measure teh FG yourself. Also, disclaimer here, that is the attenuation that *they* are getting out of the yeast under optimal brewery conditions, and yours could be different.. but it's a starting point, at least. Temperature ranges, I think you really can't go wrong with mid 60's as a starting point. Higher depending on how much of that english ale character you want out of it.

Nice! Thanks for the info. If i can get my hands on another bottle or 2 i may try this. But i am thinking i am just going to use my beer as the test beer and get readings from it then input back into beersmith. I think after i do that a few times i should have a good idea of what it does and this way my recipes will be more accurate to what i get out of the yeast. :mug:

Going to make a pale and possibly a porter soon and i will use this yeast for both.

I got a nalgene full of their house yeast a few times back when I lived in Fort Collins. Amazing stuff, but unfortunately I don't have any data on it anymore and the yeast is long gone. Good luck!

I got a nalgene full of their house yeast a few times back when I lived in Fort Collins. Amazing stuff, but unfortunately I don't have any data on it anymore and the yeast is long gone. Good luck!

Wow... that is awesome that they would share like that! I love their beers, but stuff like that makes me like them even more. :mug:

Back