Crystal malt help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends. On the one hand, yes, it's a crystal/caramel malt. On the other, the flavors it imparts will be only slightly similar to regular caramel malt, as rye has unique flavors. If you intend to use it in a English Ordinary Bitter, for example, it might be quite surprising. In a IIPA grist, not so much.

You dig?

Bob

I dig bob.

I was planning on using in an IPA. With the following. Was wanting to make a rye IPA.

4.1kg Pilsner Malt
600g CaraRye Malt
600g Vienna Malt
150g Caraaroma malt
110g Chocolate Rye
110g Wheat Malt

I'd rather use rye malt and a shot of regular crystal and call it done.

The only other observation I have is to simplify. Your grist is too complicated. Keep it simple!

You know what the original IPA grist was? Pale malt. Yeah, that's it, pale malt. Adding some crystal for color and body enhancement, as well as a bit of residual sweetness to balance hops rates, is fine. Anything else you add should be for a very obvious, specific purpose. At the same time, you should think about why you think that purpose exists or why you want to add what the ingredient brings.

For example, to brew a rye IPA I'd use 20% rye malt, 15% crystal, and the rest pale malt. Let the characteristics of your primary special ingredient shine!

Here's the thing - many hobby brewers (and hobby cooks) think the more ingredients they add, the more complex will be the result.

No, no, a thousand times NO!

People only pay attention to what the ingredient brings. They never pay as close attention to whether or not the addition of that ingredient's characteristics will mask the characteristics of another ingredient! 99% of the time, you don't end up with delicious complexity. You end up with muddy, indistinguishable ... mud.

It's like what happens when you mix a bunch of different paints together - all you end up with is a kind of gray. But if you mix yellow with a certain proportion of red, POW! International Safety Orange!

TL;DR: Simple is best.

:mug:

Bob

Back