Crushing Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyMon

Reaction score
Okay, I have a pasta roller collecting dust and I am about to convert it into a grain mill. I have read a lot of stories about individuals saying they dont last real long, or that they don't give a great crush. Here is my thought. I will continue to order my grains pre-crushed. And when I am ready for a brew day I will run them through my "el-cheapo" grain mill for a second run to improve the crush.

My goal is to improve my efficiency. I am hoping that an improved crush may be the factor that I need. I know I may be wrong and this might just be me barking up the wrong tree but it is experiment #1. Am I crazy?

If they are cruhed well already why do it all again? What are you trying to gain from a tiny bit better effeciency?

Most people buy a grain mill because they want fresher product or buying in bulk. And for either of those you will want a proper mill, at least a corona style (see "ugly junk" thread). Efficiency is overrated.

Thanks for the responses. Can you offer some advice as to how I might be able to improve my efficiency? My last batch came in around 50%, and I am not real happy with that. Like I said in OP, this was going to be experiment #1, but I am open to suggestions on improving my process/final product.

You'll need to give us your mash/sparge techniques as detailed as you can, first. Those are the two things that most greatly affect efficiency.

Thanks for the responses. Can you offer some advice as to how I might be able to improve my efficiency? My last batch came in around 50%, and I am not real happy with that. Like I said in OP, this was going to be experiment #1, but I am open to suggestions on improving my process/final product.

50% is very low, it should be pretty easy to get 75% with a very simple setup, you will need to let us know how you are mashing and sparging.

Mashing in a picnic cooler with ss braid. Batch sparging. Temps are good (152 first & 170 second). Mashed for 60 minutes then followed with 20 minutes for second runnings. I know 50% is low, it really sucks to be honest. That is why I am looking for some answers. I need help.

do you give it a good stir during mash and again before mash out? You also need to stir in sparge water real well before draining. stir to keep the sugars suspended. Cheers:)

Well here is what i do with the same setup as you and I get 75-80%. leave your strike water in the cooler until you hit strike temp and then put in your grain making sure to stir it in well. wait an hour. put tin foil over you water and around the lip of your cooler then poke alot of holes in it. now after you vorlouf start your runoff nice and slow and add about the same amount of sparge water that is coming out of your MLT. make sure you keep an inch or so of water on top of of you grain while your sparging. no stiring! Is this similar what your doing?

Well I have yet to do my own mash, but based on my reading, perhaps you have an off ratio of water to grain during the mash? Typically the ratio is 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, then sparge until you reach your preboil volume of wort.

Kevin476, I am batch sparging. Does everyone else agree that stirring before mash out in a batch sparging process will help?

GoGreenEric said:
Kevin476, I am batch sparging. Does everyone else agree that stirring before mash out in a batch sparging process will help?

In that case yes, it's a must IMO. I never got the results I wanted with batch sparging so I switched. You might try watching a few YouTube videos on batch sparging and you might get some good ideas on technique. Cheers!

Back