Crushed Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mchmss

Reaction score
I have ingredients for an all grain wheat beer that I ordered a month ago. The grains are already crushed. Had to reschedule my brew day and then got busy with a move.

Do you think the grains are still ok or am I wasting my time trying to brew with month old crushed Grains that have been stored in the box they came in for a month?

You're fine. Someone on here posted that a Briess maltster indicated that crushed grains will last almost as long as uncrushed grains if kept in good conditions (i.e. cool, out of light, not humid, etc).

Edit: Here's the original post
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-long-do-malts-last-crushed-vs-whole-391507/#post4922892

I wouldn't say that most home brewers will store crushed grains well enough to equal uncrushed over a longer period of time.

But, the length of time indicated causes no worries unless the grains were open on the counter for that time.

Latest posts

Back