Crushed Grains life expectancy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgraber

Reaction score
Did I screw up? I got 2 kits back on March 6th with crushed grains. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to brew them yet because of a family emergency. They have been sealed in plastic and kept in a dark room. Are they ruined?

I doubt it, keep them sealed good and dry and you'll be fine for a while longer. Look at the bottom of this page at the similar threads...there's the exact discussion going on right now.

As long as the hops are vacuumed sealed you should be alright. You should put the hops in the freezer when you have a chance.
I would probably buy new yeast or make a starter out of the yeast; you want to ensure that they are healthy prior to dropping them in 5 gallons of wort.

As long as the hops are vacuumed sealed you should be alright. You should put the hops in the freezer when you have a chance.
I would probably buy new yeast or make a starter out of the yeast; you want to ensure that they are healthy prior to dropping them in 5 gallons of wort.

Hops went into the freezer the minute they arrived and the yeast went straight into the fridge. I do plan on doing starters for both batches. Thanks.

Back