Crisp extra pale malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Lovibond around 1.5 to 1.9. Anyone had any experiences or feedback with it. Wondering if it's comparable to American 2 row.

No, it's way better than American 2-row. Crisp is one of my favorite UK maltsters. The barley is fatter, the malt is tastier, toastier, and has more sweetness and depth of flavor than domestic 2-row. If you like any of those characteristics, give it a try.

When I started all-grain homebrewing many years ago the Crisp malt was not available on the homebrew market. Lucky for me my LHBS guy back then had worked with someone who had distribution rights on Crisp and he was able to carry it in his store. Crisp is now readily available to homebrewers. Try it.

So then would you say it's going to be out of style for recipies that use 2 row. Example cream ale. I would not use their standard. Pale ale male however this extra light could be appropriate provided it's a better quality product then 2 row not a different animal.

It's a great malt. Used a lot in the UK, specially by breweries making American style ales. Closest we get to US 2 row but tastier. Makes a mean AIPA.

I use the low color maris otter same L and its pretty nice. Very pale though

Back