Crisis narrowly averted...for now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cronxitawney

Reaction score
So I am brewing my first high gravity brew, and of course I have not taken everyone's advice on using a blowoff tube. As I wake up at 3:00 AM to get ready for work my first thought is to go check the beer. Before I even get to my basement I hear the comforting bubbling sound, and know that there isn't going to be a giant mess to clean up. Once I arrive on the scene, I find my airlock is completely full of krausen and yeast. Having already read on here that it is not a problem, I removed the airlock, cleaned it, sanitized it, and put it back on the fermenter. Feeling pleased with my nice catch, I get ready for work. After eating breakfast I decide to check it one last time. The airlock is full of krausen again! This time I sanitize a stadium cup, pop the lid to the fermenter, scoop out the bulk of the krausen, and replaced the lid (Cleaned the airlock once again). Having removed a large portion of the krausen, what are my chances of coming home to a beer filled basement??:( It is now day 2 of a very active fermentation.

You should have put on a blow off tube and left the Krausen. The Krausen is an important part of the beer making process. One, it protects the beer from any incoming contaminants and also is, I believe, where a ton of the yeast hang out during fermentation. I'm sure the batch will be ok, but in the future just put on a blow off tube and let it do it's thing. ;)

I know I should have used a blow off tube, but did not have one. The next high gravity batch will certainly be sporting one. Just talked to my wife, and she told me that the airlock was full of foam, and that there was beer on the lid....WTF. I walked her through doing the same thing that I did (Before I read your post). I may have to take leave just to go babysit my beer.

cronxitawney said:
I know I should have used a blow off tube, but did not have one. The next high gravity batch will certainly be sporting one. Just talked to my wife, and she told me that the airlock was full of foam, and that there was beer on the lid....WTF. I walked her through doing the same thing that I did (Before I read your post). I may have to take leave just to go babysit my beer.

Sounds like you got an active sucker going there. If possible swing by a some place that has vinyl tubing on the way hope and get some tubing to create a blow off tube. I forget what size tubing goes on the center tube of an airlock, but I'm guessing that 3/8 would probably work. Snake that off and into a tub filled with sanitizer / water and you've got a blow off and won't have to worry about cleaning up that mess over and over.

Jekster said:
Sounds like you got an active sucker going there. If possible swing by a some place that has vinyl tubing on the way hope and get some tubing to create a blow off tube. I forget what size tubing goes on the center tube of an airlock, but I'm guessing that 3/8 would probably work. Snake that off and into a tub filled with sanitizer / water and you've got a blow off and won't have to worry about cleaning up that mess over and over.

I may just do that. You don't think that the tube of the airlock or the vinyl tube will get clogged as well?

lmfao... scooped it out??! Man... this is why I use a 7.9 gallon primary for 5 gallon batches. Plenty of room for krausen. I have had it hit the lock on a few larger batches, but I just prop up the side of the fermenter a little bit sticking the airlock towards the high side. Not a problem. Lol... when you get home I hope its ok. I had a german chocolate stout explode on me shooting the airlock to the ceiling along with a ****stain of black krausen. It was a scary scene that reminded me of a rough rest stop on route 1.

sirsloop said:
lmfao... scooped it out??! Man... this is why I use a 7.9 gallon primary for 5 gallon batches. Plenty of room for krausen. I have had it hit the lock on a few larger batches, but I just prop up the side of the fermenter a little bit sticking the airlock towards the high side. Not a problem. Lol... when you get home I hope its ok. I had a german chocolate stout explode on me shooting the airlock to the ceiling along with a ****stain of black krausen. It was a scary scene that reminded me of a rough rest stop on route 1.

At the rate the yeast is replacing that which has been scooped out, I believe tipping the fermenter would just delay the inevitable by 5 or 10 minutes. Hopefully when I finally do get home, my basement will not look like a truck stop bathroom.:D

cronxitawney said:
Hopefully when I finally do get home, my basement will not look like a truck stop bathroom.:D

[larrythecableguyvoice]I don't care who ya are dats funny rite dar[/larrythecableguyvoice]

Yep the safest is either a 6 gallon plus vessel or a blow off tube, sometimes both. :drunk:

6! You'll need a blow off for every batch with a 6 gallon. Try 8 and then sometimes you may need a blow off with that. Buckets are cheap... buy a bucket and save your yeast (sounds like a country music song)

sirsloop said:
6! You'll need a blow off for every batch with a 6 gallon. Try 8 and then sometimes you may need a blow off with that. Buckets are cheap... buy a bucket and save your yeast (sounds like a country music song)

I have 7 gallon buckets and a 6.5 gallon carboy and I don't need a blowoff for 90% of the beers that I do. Most of them are high gravity (well 1.055 or higher anyway).

High gravity does not necessarily mean that you will have to use a blowoff. It's greatly dependent on the yeast that you are using as well.

I did an Imperial Cream Stout that came in at 1.090. I used Nottingham and it fermented in a 6.5 gallon carboy with no problem at all.

But to the OP's point - when you see an airlock full of krausen, immediately attach a blowoff and you will save yourself from cleaning up quite a mess.

Well I finally made it home, and the basement was fortunately not covered in beer. The lid to the bucket was bulging quite a bit and was covered in what looked to be sanitizer solution and beer mixed. The airlock was mostly filled with krausen, and was barely bubbling. I quickly took a spare airlock and my racking cane tubing, and made a blowoff tube. After and hour, the water bucket is thumping once a second. The makeshift blowoff tube doesn't have any krausen in it, and everything seems good to go. Now I just have to hope that I have not invited infection with my frequent airlock cleanings and my krausen scooping:D

Well I don't say "never" but the chances of some commando infection breaking through the krausen walls and CO2 gas attacks launched by the yeasties would be pretty hardcore. Certainly not impossible, but ya... :drunk:

UPDATE: I tryed a sample after 10 days of being bottled, and though still green, it had a nice thick head and was delicious:cross:. I am going to let the rest age awhile. After all of the issues that I had with this batch, I am now a firm believer in RDWHAHB.

Back