Cream scotch ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beercadetdevin

Reaction score
I thought it would be cool to do strong scotch ale with cream ale yeast. What is your expert opinion on this?

Heres the extract recipe I came up with:
7 lb pale liquid extract
2 lb 2-row
0.5 lb aromatic malt
0.5 lb chocolate malt
0.5 lb crystal 80L
0.5 lb carapils
1 oz northern brewer @ 60 min
1 oz fuggles @ 20 min
1 oz fuggles @ 10 min
cream ale yeast (WLP080)

estimated OG: 1.072
estimated FG: 1.016
SRM: 24
34 IBU
7.5% ABV

Comments? Advice?
I was thinking of adding a bit of peated/smoked malt.

Cream ales are warm-fermented light lagers. So, a cream ale yeast should be a highly-attenuating yeast that leaves very little esters. I'd say this would NOT be a good match for a scotch ale.

Better to use an english ale yeast. Or a scotch ale yeast.

Cream ales aren't creamy, and I have no idea why they are called that.

I wouldn't recommend it either.

But maybe I'm missing something- What's your goal for using that yeast? What character(s) are you going for?

Ok, I was mislead by the name of the yeast and the description of it. Ill probably use the Scottish ale yeast.

I want a subtle cream soda kind of flavor to it like the abvc summer/winter solstice ales. I have no idea how you get that though. Help?

I'm not familiar with those specific beers...

So you want a cream soda flavor, like vanilla? If so, vanilla extract can be added at bottling. Of course, you'd want to pull off a sample to determine the dozing level that you want.

Yeah, stupid name for a yeast. However, I have to disagree and say that it will probably make a fine scotch ale. Scottish yeast ferments very clean and produces a nice, smooth beer. Cream ale yeast will make a decent sub if you have to use it. Scottish ales are lagered for a few weeks so I'm not sure why anyone would think the lager side of the Cream blend would hurt anything. Just be sure to mash kinda high, or use some CaraPils, to keep the beer from drying out too much.

Back