Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed 11 gallons of this beer on Friday....

On Sunday morning one of my carboys had blown the airlock out! I have never had to use a blowoff since I have went to a temp controller but this beer likes to ferment quick! I expect to hit FG after 5 days in the primary! Going to leave it 21 days before bottling.

I added Amylase Enzyme, 1 teaspoon, on day eight (3 days after primary fermentation appeared to have stopped ) to further dry out this brew. It's still chugging along. What's the nature of Amylase Enzyme, will it just keep going until there's nothing left for it to break down, or will it potentially exhaust itself sooner?

Thanks,

Keyth

I added Amylase Enzyme, 1 teaspoon, on day eight (3 days after primary fermentation appeared to have stopped ) to further dry out this brew. It's still chugging along. What's the nature of Amylase Enzyme, will it just keep going until there's nothing left for it to break down, or will it potentially exhaust itself sooner?

Thanks,

Keyth

Adding Beano to a beer is a slippery slope. Yes it will dry it out, but Amylase will want to ferment out every last possible sugar molecule... The beer will essentially be in an eternal state of slow, miniscule fermentation. Don't think about bottling this beer until it looks completely lifeless, and then...add a week or two.

My 10-year-old nephew brewed this up 2 days ago. His first brew :)

He said it smelled like pears and tea. I don't think I've seen him have that much fun since he got his first nuke on COD.

He also managed to nail both the volume and OG...on a double decoction. Little punk derned near outbrewed me on his first go! Thanks for the recipe. I get the feeling this one is going to become another house standard.

Adding Beano to a beer is a slippery slope. Yes it will dry it out, but Amylase will want to ferment out every last possible sugar molecule... The beer will essentially be in an eternal state of slow, miniscule fermentation. Don't think about bottling this beer until it looks completely lifeless, and then...add a week or two.

Beano and Amylase are not the same thing. Two different enzymes. Beano is alpha galactosidase while brewer's amylase is Alpha Amylase.

My understanding is alpha galactosidase will "go craze" to the end of any starch, while alpha amylase isn't as aggressive.

Anyone have personal experience using Crosby & Baker's Amylase Enzyme Formula?

Thanks,

Keyth

BTW, the airlock has all but stopped after two days...I'm planning on giving it til Sunday to start gravity readings and monitor for clarity (though I still have clumps of SafAle 05 floating at the serface). I don't bottle, I keg.

Just started the boil on my second batch of this. Its that time of year here in Las Vegas where a light dry beer really hits the spot at the end of the day. The first keg of this went dry pretty quick at my wedding in April so i am looking forward to getting to enjoy some for myself this time around. Would a small addition at 2 minutes of something like US Goldings be too much for this recipe?

Cheers!

Here's my C3C. Been in keg about two weeks. Cleared nicely without gelatin. Thanks BM!

image-3420747053.jpg

I just brewed this up last night... My first all-grain! I modified it a tad, as it was for a five gallon batch. I used 3# Six-row, 3# Two-row, 2# flaked corn, 1oz Saaz, and 1oz Williamette. The OG was 1.030, actually 1.034 but I boiled too much off and had to add a gallon of water :( . Now for the slightly sad part. I used White Labs "Cream Ale" yeast, let it sit out for 8 hours per directions, shook well, and pitched once the temp was between 70-75 (73). It has been over 18 hours an I'm only getting 1 bubble per minute... This is the first time this has happened to me, usually I wake up to a krausen monster.

Am I the only one who finds this beer to be on the fruity side? Maybe I used too much corn & rice (2 lbs corn & 1 lb rice in 5 gallon batch) or mashed too high (153F) but I describe the taste as an apple fruitiness. I fermented for 21 days and it's been in bottles 25 days now and it still has that same fruitiness.

I noticed I got a little bit of Apple tastes as well. I know there is a reason for Apple, just don't know it off the top of my head. Maybe too high fermentation temp?
Or is it too much of a table sugar addition? Though this one had no sugar added.

What yeast did you guys use? I never noticed this only a corn taste when I added to much maze. I use 1056 and / or wlp001 yeast.

Apples sounds like acetaldehyde. How long did you ferment and at what temp. I had a problem with acetaldehyde when I bought a fridge and controller and started fermenting my beers in the low 60 s instead of the upper 60s to low 70s.

Acetaldehyde is a fermentation by product that is usually cleaned up (broken down into something else) given enough time on the primary yeast cake. In my case, everything was happening slower at the colder temps. I was pulling the beer off the primary before the yeast had a chance to clean up after itself.

I went to a minimum 2 week primary when fermenting below 65f and the green apple aroma and flavor went away.

The acetaldehyde was more noticeable on lighter ales. I made a blonde with us05 that was heavy on the green apples when I pulled it off the primary after 6 days

One other thing. Any beer I've ever packaged before the acetaldehyde was cleared up, never cleared in the package. I don't think bottle conditioning will scrub it

have people been making adjustments for the %aau on their hops? I've noticed this years have been low and on my last batch used .75oz of each crystal and williamette for a 5gal batch. I decided to do the original hops and noticed it, normally I use whatever I have!!

have people been making adjustments for the %aau on their hops? I've noticed this years have been low and on my last batch used .75oz of each crystal and williamette for a 5gal batch. I decided to do the original hops and noticed it, normally I use whatever I have!!

O...M...G... :confused:

After reading edmanster's post I realized something...

I wanted to make a 5 gallon batch from the OP's recipie so I cut it all in half, but I still used 2 oz of hops!!!! Uh-Oh...

I noticed this morning that the air lock smells very hoppy...

Can I still enter this as a light hybrid???

O...M...G... :confused:

After reading edmanster's post I realized something...

I wanted to make a 5 gallon batch from the OP's recipie so I cut it all in half, but I still used 2 oz of hops!!!! Uh-Oh...

I noticed this morning that the air lock smells very hoppy...

Can I still enter this as a light hybrid???

your going to be a little high on ibu's but it comes down to taste and flavor!! if it tastes appropriate with a little sweetness then i say yes... i like mine at the high end of the scale at 20 ibu's...
my williamette was a 4.9%aa and my crystal was 2.8%aa so im at 19-20ibu's :mug:

Ohhh Noooo.... :cross:

My Williamette was 7.5%aa and the Saaz was 3.3%aa. The calculators I used averaged it out to be 46.55 IBU.

I geuss it's not a light hybrid.

I will still let you all know how it turns out.

Well I just had my first taste of the cream of three crops and all I can say is WOW! Exactly what I'm looking for after a long day working outside in this South Texas heat (108 today!)

I was a little impatient in testing this first one. It's only been in the bottle for 5 days so it was a little under-carbed but otherwise outstanding. This was my first all grain batch and it was great! Thank you for the recipe. You just took my brewing from a casual hobby to an absolute obsession!

Ki
Apples sounds like acetaldehyde. How long did you ferment and at what temp. I had a problem with acetaldehyde when I bought a fridge and controller and started fermenting my beers in the low 60 s instead of the upper 60s to low 70s.

Acetaldehyde is a fermentation by product that is usually cleaned up (broken down into something else) given enough time on the primary yeast cake. In my case, everything was happening slower at the colder temps. I was pulling the beer off the primary before the yeast had a chance to clean up after itself.

I went to a minimum 2 week primary when fermenting below 65f and the green apple aroma and flavor went away.

The acetaldehyde was more noticeable on lighter ales. I made a blonde with us05 that was heavy on the green apples when I pulled it off the primary after 6 days

Interesting. This was the first beer I used temp control on and I kept it at about 65F. US05 yeast. I did a full 21 day primary but never raised the temp, I have 11 gallons of COTC in primary now at day 7, should I raise it to 69F?

Jayhem said:
Ki

Interesting. This was the first beer I used temp control on and I kept it at about 65F. US05 yeast. I did a full 21 day primary but never raised the temp, I have 11 gallons of COTC in primary now at day 7, should I raise it to 69F?

It would be worth a try. I think BM recommends 68f for primary on this. I can't imagine that you would not have most acetaldehyde scrubbed out with 21 days at 65f. How strong is the fruitiness? The couple of batches I had affected by this had a very pronounced green apple flavor. One was even a firmly hopped English pale ale that had apples fighting for palate space with the hops.

You may try changing just th temp an see what it does

brewed this a month and a half ago and finally got the chance to bottle it yesterday. My hydrometer sample tasted like a great cream ale and now my mom cant wait for it to carb up so she can finally have some homebrew she likes

I made this beer a month or so ago, but used white labs english ale yeast. It came out very clear and smooth with a very bitter aftertaste. Could the yeast do that? I just added 2oz of Cascade hops to the keg and it was fantastic. I'm ready to try it again.

It would be worth a try. I think BM recommends 68f for primary on this. I can't imagine that you would not have most acetaldehyde scrubbed out with 21 days at 65f. How strong is the fruitiness? The couple of batches I had affected by this had a very pronounced green apple flavor. One was even a firmly hopped English pale ale that had apples
fighting for palate space with the hops.

You may try changing just th temp an see what it does
The fruitiness is minimal but obvious. I've had this batch in bottles 21 days now and it's starting to mellow out now.

Just popped the top on a batch of this brew. Quite tasty. Just in time for the 4th on the lake. Thanks for the recipe.

Am I the only one who finds this beer to be on the fruity side? Maybe I used too much corn & rice (2 lbs corn & 1 lb rice in 5 gallon batch) or mashed too high (153F) but I describe the taste as an apple fruitiness. I fermented for 21 days and it's been in bottles 25 days now and it still has that same fruitiness.

I would have to ask what kind of yeast you used, and what your ferm temps were. Also, did you make any other additions or subtractions? I have made this three times, and I think I got a third place with one of them. That same batch in another competition got dinged for having a corn flavor.
Go figure. It is in the BJCP guidelines.

I have made this several times, and really like it. Do you make any salt additions? A BJCP judge in my group said the particular one I gave him had some phenolics in it, but he said also that correctly producing a Cream Ale category beer is difficult mainly because there is nowhere for defects to hide. He did say he liked it, and a few minutes later, pointed to the sustained thick head and told me that is really hard to do. I call it dumb luck. BTW, another judge marked me down for having corn flavor. I would have loved to be there to tell him, "It should. There are two lbs of flaked maize in there. From the BJCP guidelines
Aroma: Faint malt notes. A sweet, corn-like aroma and low levels of DMS are commonly found.
Flavor: Low to medium-low hop bitterness. Low to moderate maltiness and sweetness, varying with gravity and attenuation. Usually well attenuated. Neither malt nor hops prevail in the taste. A low to moderate corny flavor from corn adjuncts is commonly
found, as is some DMS.
BTW, we used a scaled up version of your CB in our 55 gallon system. It came out really nice.

My 10 gal batch has been pretty popular, and I'm getting ready to brew this again. I followed the recipe exactly, fermented at 64F in my ferment keezer. My color is coming in at 2.6-2.7 SRM and I'd like to up that to 2.9 to 3 - it's just a little too light for me. Any suggestions on additions to stay in style but add just a touch more color?

With only the listed ingredients, mine is estimated at 3.3 SRM. Are you sure you are getting an accurate reading? Also, I'd be hard pressed to pick out the difference between 2.6, 2.7 and 2.9, even if it was side by side.

Using Beer Alchemy, mine comes in a lot lower than 3.3 - it's at 2.7 and the display color is right in line with the beer. If I push the color to 3, I see a definite change, and about where I'd like it to be.

I'm using Brewtarget. I attached a screenshot. I'm thinking the color is pretty close to the estimate. I can't think of anything you could add that would keep it in style except to maybe toast a bit of your two row to add some color. I'd be careful not to get too much crystal malt flavor. Or, you could use a little 10L. Personally, I think the light color adds to the visual appeal.

CoTC.jpg

evandena said:
Crap, I was going to brew this for a work party, and nome LHBS is out of flaked corn. Great.

Go to the grocery store. Buy a box of corn flakes (sound familiar???).

Grits or polenta would also work, but take a bit more work to use.

+1 on the corn flakes

I have bought the generic unsweetend corn flakes and used them in a ceral mash as a replacement for the flaked corn. I added 20% more for the corn flakes in my adjustment.

emjay said:

Darn. Did a blonde instead.
1:1 on the corn flakes to flaked corn?

evandena said:
Darn. Did a blonde instead.
1:1 on the corn flakes to flaked corn?

I would say so, given that corn flakes ARE flaked corn (hence the name...). Not sure why the poster above you thinks otherwise.

As he said though, you'll want unsweetened generic corn flakes (instead of, say, brand name Frosted Flakes). Unsweetened because you don't want that extra sugar (unless you want to modify this recipe a bit, though it'd probably make it too thin), and generic because there's no point in paying more for pretty much the same thing... In fact, generics often have a bit more corn flavor than the Kelloggs brand name, which is milder by design.

You shouldn't need to do a cereal mash either, they've been pre-gelatinized, and are ready to be mashed. With grits or polenta you'd probably want to, but that's still technically unnecessary with corn and would only be to make them less "glue"-like in the mash.

Back