Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quaker said:
After 11 days in primary, the yeast finally dropped out and it cleared up. However, day after day it's had a very strong yeast aroma. I decided to rack to secondary, which I normally forego. I sampled a glass, and yeast is the wrong label. The taste is all corn. Had a very healthy fermentation. I doubt it's DMS. I think it's obviously from the cracked corn. We'll see what a few weeks more will do for it.

I just opened my test bottle after 2 weeks conditioning. Corn flavor is all gone. Yeast cleared it up. Tastes like I believe it should. It'll fill it's purpose right nicely. Time to keg the rest.

This beer is about as light as you get. The BMC crowd likes this for sure. I think it'd be an excellent quaffer on a hot day.

Nice recipe Biermuncher.

...from my last post (sorry I didn't keep right up on it) I secondaried, and bottled up this recipe this week. I didn't use any gelatin (only use it if absolutely necessary) and it cleared right up fine on it's own. As the other posters have said, it tastes great right out of the carboy, and I have high hopes for this beer in the next month or so. I think the pics tell the story better than I can. :mug:

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

Has anyone tried lagering this beer for an extended time (a week or several) instead of cold crashing the beer? I have 5 gallons that I plan on kegging and wonder if I lager this for a week what effect that might have on the beer. I brewed it 3 weeks ago and bottled 1/2 of the batch today and have another 5 gallons in my lager fridge cold crashing overnight.

i just cracked an imperial version of this... kept it balanced, but kicked up the ABV to 9 plus...

very dangerous because of how drinkable this is. nice residual corn sweetness that i didn't think i'd enoy.. - finished dry and crisp. it's the kind of beer you'd slam on a hot day and then say "why did i just do that and can i have another?"

kudos to the author and contributors - it's not just a great recipe, it's a great springboard for others...

Something went wrong for me... I brewed up a batch of this yesterday right after kegging previous beer... pumped it onto prior yeast... EVERYTHING went perfect... efficiency was through the roof and got 1.052 OG..... THEN - 16 hours later, NO activity... no bubbles, nothing... i'm wondering if my minute rice had some sort of preservatives???? prior sluries usually bubble in a few hours... i'll let it sit longer but i'm very concerned about this batch...

G_Brew said:
Something went wrong for me... I brewed up a batch of this yesterday right after kegging previous beer... pumped it onto prior yeast... EVERYTHING went perfect... efficiency was through the roof and got 1.052 OG..... THEN - 16 hours later, NO activity... no bubbles, nothing... i'm wondering if my minute rice had some sort of preservatives???? prior sluries usually bubble in a few hours... i'll let it sit longer but i'm very concerned about this batch...

Give it some more time.

G_Brew said:
I definately will... anxious to check it out when i get back from work... but in all honesty even if it still starts going, I still feel like something isn't right... should be going by now...

Don't fret bro, give it up to 72 hrs before doing anything. Should it it not be active just pitch some S-05 and call it a day. RWDAHB

Well... what can i say....... got home and the thing was fermenting... took almost 20 hours though... everytime i've reused yeast cake it's usualy going within 4-5 hours.... should turn out good! thanks everyone for the tips!

G_Brew said:
Well... what can i say....... got home and the thing was fermenting... took almost 20 hours though... everytime i've reused yeast cake it's usualy going within 4-5 hours.... should turn out good! thanks everyone for the tips!

Wonder what the difference was this time? How many times did you reuse this cake?

Wonder what the difference was this time? How many times did you reuse this cake?

it's actually the 3rd batch with this yeast.. I'll usually go up to 3 max... but i've never had a problem doing this... and i've heard of people doing up to 5-6 batches on the same yeast... only thing i can think of that is different is the last batch sat on it for over 4 weeks instead of my usual 2 to 3 weeks...
also i cooled the wort to 70 but slowly cooled it down to 60-62 in the following few hours for a slower cleaner fermentation... might have slowed down the start time?

still usually with the billions of hungry yeast cells in a yeast cake desperate for fresh wort there's no stopping em... oh well...

it's actually the 3rd batch with this yeast.. I'll usually go up to 3 max... but i've never had a problem doing this... and i've heard of people doing up to 5-6 batches on the same yeast... only thing i can think of that is different is the last batch sat on it for over 4 weeks instead of my usual 2 to 3 weeks...
also i cooled the wort to 70 but slowly cooled it down to 60-62 in the following few hours for a slower cleaner fermentation... might have slowed down the start time?

still usually with the billions of hungry yeast cells in a yeast cake desperate for fresh wort there's no stopping em... oh well...

I usually will take my saved yeast out of the fridge a few hours before pitching (at the start of the brew session) and submerge the container in a bucket of pretty hot water. The idea is to get the yeast up to approximately the same temperature as you would if you were hydrating dry yeast. The warming bath usually shaves several hours off of the fermentation lag time.

Sorry I didn't want to read through 126 pages. In this recipe do the rice and corn count as the equivalent of a pound of grain for the mash, e.g 8.5lbs total for a 5 gallon batch? Also, what is a good lb/qt ratio for this beer? Thanks in advance!

Brewed this for an event and it was the second keg to tap out of 17 kegs. It was very popular... Only difference was I added 8oz of honey malt and did a fwh of first addition and a 20 min 2nd addition...it was a 5 gallon batch....

Sorry I didn't want to read through 126 pages. In this recipe do the rice and corn count as the equivalent of a pound of grain for the mash, e.g 8.5lbs total for a 5 gallon batch? Also, what is a good lb/qt ratio for this beer? Thanks in advance!

Yes, for my batches the rice (1 lb) and corn (2 lb) are part of my total grain weight, (11 lbs.) I think that is your question.

1.25 quart/pound ratio.

Cheers,

Made this as well as the Centennial Blonde and Yoopers Fizzy yellow beer and this one was the best tasting of the 3 in my opinion. The only problem is the color of the beer, mine came in very very light, just slightly yellow. Don't know if it is somehing I did or if it is just that light? If so, what would you reccommend increasing or changing to get a little more color? I would say mine is lighter in color than a bud light.

I just went back to the first page and mine is just a little lighter than the pic posted. Wonder what I did wrong?

D_Nyholm said:
Made this as well as the Centennial Blonde and Yoopers Fizzy yellow beer and this one was the best tasting of the 3 in my opinion. The only problem is the color of the beer, mine came in very very light, just slightly yellow. Don't know if it is somehing I did or if it is just that light? If so, what would you reccommend increasing or changing to get a little more color? I would say mine is lighter in color than a bud light.

I just went back to the first page and mine is just a little lighter than the pic posted. Wonder what I did wrong?

Dont think you did anything wrong.. The color of this is determine to the grains.. Yours could have been a little more pale in color.. The corn adds little to no color at all same with the rice.. All that matters is if you like it :mug:

I have a 10 gal batch in primary right now. Bubbling away like crazy in the ferment cooler at 63F. I stayed really close to the original recipe...of course I had a little leftover williamette and just couldn't stand it. I threw some in at flameout. Love that smell!

I just kegged mine 3 days ago... crash cooled, gelatin for 2 days, gave her 40psi for 2 days... nice clear and fresh tasting brew speacialy for under 2.5 weeks from grain to glass...

it does have a bit of an odd ricy aftertaste though... not much of it, but you can tell it's there... not sure if it was the minute rice i used... curious to see if anyone else gets this...

In didn't notice a rice aftertaste and I used minute rice too. Though I did let mine age for a few more weeks than you. Popped the first bottle at 5 weeks.

Well, i made 10 gallons, i kegged 5 gallons, and sent the remaining 5 into a carboy to age longer to free up my fermentor... so we'll see perhaps the second half of the batch will be much better.... i'm still surprised at how clean it does taste for 2.5 weeks... I don't really know what came over me to keg and chill this soon, I'm a firm beleiver of aging my beers...

So I brewed my second AG/full boil batch on Saturday, a modified version of this Cream of 3 Crops recipe! Huge success, hit my temps and gravity just about perfect:

5.5 gal batch

6 lbs 2-row
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lb flaked rice

0.6oz Williamette 6.0AA @ 70 min
0.25oz Williamette 6.0AA @ 20 min

IBUs 16.3

OG measured: 1.045 (my efficiency was a bit higher than expected)

Mashed at 150-154F for 70 min

The wort smelled great! I love Williamette hops.

I pitched dry US-05 yeast at 70F, stirred it hard into the fermenter and put in my temp controlled fridge at 62F ambient. Fermentation started within 12 hours and by 24 hours I had a 1" thick layer of krausen and a LOT of activity!
Looking forward to this one!

Jayhem said:
So I brewed my second AG/full boil batch on Saturday, a modified version of this Cream of 3 Crops recipe! Huge success, hit my temps and gravity just about perfect:

5.5 gal batch

6 lbs 2-row
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lb flaked rice

0.6oz Williamette 6.0AA @ 70 min
0.25oz Williamette 6.0AA @ 20 min

IBUs 16.3

OG measured: 1.045 (my efficiency was a bit higher than expected)

Mashed at 150-154F for 70 min

The wort smelled great! I love Williamette hops.

I pitched dry US-05 yeast at 70F, stirred it hard into the fermenter and put in my temp controlled fridge at 62F ambient. Fermentation started within 12 hours and by 24 hours I had a 1" thick layer of krausen and a LOT of activity!
Looking forward to this one!

This is rapidly disappearing from my keezer. I may add a touch more aroma hops the next time I do this

My results mirror yours in that I got about 5% better efficiency on this recipe. The only real issue I've had with it is that mine did not clear like others are reporting. I even used a pack of the super kleer or quick kleer or whatever it is called.

I have brewed with flaked corn twice now and realize I am not overly fond of the flavor. I pick up jus a hint of sweetness despite this thing finishing dry (1.004) and a 90 min mash plus a 90 min uncovered boil. I am thinking about reversing the corn/Rice ratio next time or just eliminating the corn completely

I have brewed with flaked corn twice now and realize I am not overly fond of the flavor. I pick up jus a hint of sweetness despite this thing finishing dry (1.004) and a 90 min mash plus a 90 min uncovered boil. I am thinking about reversing the corn/Rice ratio next time or just eliminating the corn completely

I have brewed this several times with several variations. The 2# of corn is by far my personal favorite. I have found that in about 4 weeks after kegging the corn flavor is all but gone. I have also used 1# of table sugar in place of 1# of the corn and didnt notice any of the corn flavor after 2 weeks in the keg. I would recommend a bit more aging ..But being a great recipe its hard to leave it alone that long.

This is rapidly disappearing from my keezer. I may add a touch more aroma hops the next time I do this

My results mirror yours in that I got about 5% better efficiency on this recipe. The only real issue I've had with it is that mine did not clear like others are reporting. I even used a pack of the super kleer or quick kleer or whatever it is called.

Nice! What hops? How much and when are you adding them? I did use 1/2tsp irish moss in the boil and plan to cold crash before bottling to help with clearing

Jayhem said:
Nice! What hops? How much and when are you adding them? I did use 1/2tsp irish moss in the boil and plan to cold crash before bottling to help with clearing

Hallertauer (4.3) and Tettnang (3.7). Half ounce of each at 45 min. Another half ounce of each at 5 min.

Used a hop sock and pulled all hops at flameout and before chiller was started. This beer was made primarily for consumption by my wife and a neighbor who think hop is a 4-letter word

BM, or anybody who has brewed this recipe with success, I'm looking for a little advice. I am brewing a 6 gallon batch this weekend for my wedding rehearsal dinner (hope it turns out well!) and it seems like it being about 8 weeks away, this beer should be just about at its prime at that time.

Anyway, my question is about how long everyone fermented for. My fermentation room sticks around 67-68 degrees. I have the option to keg it or bottle it. But if I keg it, I may not be able to chill it while aging in the keg for very long. (My kegerator only holds 2 corny's, so i kind of have to depend on one not being used, but I guess that's what you get when you make sacrifices, right?) Which of these options would you recommend?

1) Prime in a keg with sugar and leave in storage room ~75F for 3-4 weeks.
2) Keg it up and throw it in the kegerator, to leave untouched for 4 weeks (if no other beers need a spot in the kegerator by then)
3) Botle this batch.

Any help is appreciated! :mug:

emprbasist said:
1) Prime in a keg with sugar and leave in storage room ~75F for 3-4 weeks.
2) Keg it up and throw it in the kegerator, to leave untouched for 4 weeks (if no other beers need a spot in the kegerator by then)
3) Botle this batch.

Any help is appreciated! :mug:

You have plenty of time, I ferment for 3 weeks but you can probably keg/bottle this in 2.
I like options, 2, 1, and 3 in that order.

Anyway, my question is about how long everyone fermented for. My fermentation room sticks around 67-68 degrees.

67-68 degrees ambient is too warm for the active part of primary fermentation. The beer temp will rise to 6-9F HIGHER than ambient which means you may be fermenting at 74-77F which is way too warm and could contribute off flavors and that is NOT something you want in a lighter beer like this.

Can you lower the temp to about 62F for the first 4-5 days of primary?

I have this cream ale in my primary right now at 61F and after 5 days it's just about ready to drop the krausen. I'll let it go a total of 21 days in primary, then bottle.

RDWHAHB....

Depends on your tastes. If you keg it you could force carb it if you do not want to introdcue additional sugars or you could naturally carb using dextrose. Presentation is cool too at weddings if you bottle and lable your beer. It all depends on what you prefer... afterall this is your wedding.

I would try to keep the temp range more in the range of ~65*F +/- 3*. At 75* you will impart a fruitier beer. You could do that with a wet towel draped over the carboy.

Again RDWHAHB and choose what you desire. Good luck!!

I just served up 5G of this at a work potluck and it was a huge smash. People who weren't beer drinkers were raving about it :)

The only changes I made were using popcorn in place of the flaked corn, and I changed the hop schedule to:

10g Amarillo (10.7%) whole hops @ 60mins
10g Amarillo (10.7%) @ 5mins

Delicious!

I just served up 5G of this at a work potluck and it was a huge smash. People who weren't beer drinkers were raving about it :)

The only changes I made were using popcorn in place of the flaked corn, and I changed the hop schedule to:

10g Amarillo (10.7%) whole hops @ 60mins
10g Amarillo (10.7%) @ 5mins

Delicious!

Popcorn? Interesting. Just crushed it in your mill with the barley?

Willie3 said:
RDWHAHB....

Depends on your tastes. If you keg it you could force carb it if you do not want to introdcue additional sugars or you could naturally carb using dextrose. Presentation is cool too at weddings if you bottle and lable your beer. It all depends on what you prefer... afterall this is your wedding.

I would try to keep the temp range more in the range of ~65*F +/- 3*. At 75* you will impart a fruitier beer. You could do that with a wet towel draped over the carboy.

Again RDWHAHB and choose what you desire. Good luck!!

Thanks everybody for the input. Willie, are you referring to 65 ambient temp or 65 wort temp (accounting for the fermentation reaction)?

I just bought a temp controller so I'll have to try and figure out an easy way to use it without investing a lot in a chest freezer.

Thanks everybody for the input. Willie, are you referring to 65 ambient temp or 65 wort temp (accounting for the fermentation reaction)?

I just bought a temp controller so I'll have to try and figure out an easy way to use it without investing a lot in a chest freezer.

When homebrewers speak of "Fermentation temperature" they are referring to the actual fermenting beer liquid temp.

One option if you don't have an extra fridge or freezer is to put a small window AC unit in a room you don't use much, put the fermenter in a large cardboard box and then use additional cardboard to route the A/C blower outlet directly into the box (but don't make it air tight!). Plug your temp control into the A/C power cord and put the temp probe in the box, you are in business! The temp will fluctuate less if you wrap blankets around the box and on top for insulation and keep the room dark. I would then set the temp control on a 6-7 degree swing before it kicks back on again and try not to short cycle the compressor (1 min minimum). If your house is normally 70-80F in the summer then the A/C unit won't have to run much to keep your fermenter in the low 60's.

Jayhem said:
Popcorn? Interesting. Just crushed it in your mill with the barley?

Nope, just popped it and added it to the mash. It disintegrated once it got wet. It was literally a garbage bag full of popped corn

One note though is to weigh it out AFTER popping since you lose moisture when it pops.

Latest posts

Back