Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am starting 15 gallon batches, but i live far from a LHBS and dont have a mill so I want to buy a 50lb bag and use it all quickly, then sit back and enjoy the beer over a few months. So im planning on doing two batches and putting them in a 55gallon plastic barrel, then using the rest for a different recipe (the reason for the 55gallon barrel is I dont have many carboys).
For a 15gal batch, does this recipe work?
I plan BIAB with dunk sparge
16.5lb pale
4lb corn
2lb rice
2oz williamette
1oz Crystal

I am starting 15 gallon batches, but i live far from a LHBS and dont have a mill so I want to buy a 50lb bag and use it all quickly, then sit back and enjoy the beer over a few months. So im planning on doing two batches and putting them in a 55gallon plastic barrel, then using the rest for a different recipe (the reason for the 55gallon barrel is I dont have many carboys).
For a 15gal batch, does this recipe work?
I plan BIAB with dunk sparge
16.5lb pale
4lb corn
2lb rice
2oz williamette
1oz Crystal

I scaled mine up in Beersmith for ya. Mine does have some rye and wheat in it, though. I also had a 60 minute boil.

Cream of Three Crops 15 gallon rye
Cream Ale
Type: All Grain Date: 5/20/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 15.00 gal
Boil Size: 17.32 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 16.12 gal
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 15.00 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs 12.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 62.0 %
5 lbs 7.4 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 2 19.1 %
2 lbs 10.7 oz Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 3 9.3 %
1 lbs 5.9 oz Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.8 %
1 lbs 5.9 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 5 4.8 %

1.36 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 6.1 IBUs
1.36 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 9.7 IBUs

1.4 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 8 -
Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 15.8 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 3.8 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out Total Grain Weight: 28 lbs 10.0 oz
Sparge Water: 11.81 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 36.78 qt of water at 163.5 F 150.0 F 75 min
Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 11.81 gal water at 168.0 F

Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

on this the after boil volume is 16.12, and the batch size is 15. do you lose that much during fermentation?

I think part of it is that I ferment under pressure. So my beer is fermenting and carbing at the same time. After two weeks I crash cool and put it on gas to carb... and tend to drink a lot of samples. :D

Might be off, too. I've been spending too much time building up my system and not enough brewing.

I'm making this recipe this weekend (5.5 gallon batch). My ingredients were shipped today, and realized I didn't order any crystal hops, only 1 oz. of Willamette. Should I boil 1/2 oz. for 60 minutes and the other 1/2 for 15? Or should I boil them all for 60 minutes?

I'm making this recipe this weekend (5.5 gallon batch). My ingredients were shipped today, and realized I didn't order any crystal hops, only 1 oz. of Willamette. Should I boil 1/2 oz. for 60 minutes and the other 1/2 for 15? Or should I boil them all for 60 minutes?

I wouldn't use the whole ounce for the 60 minute boil. You can calculate how much of the williamette you need by calculating the alpha acids of your hops and getting the amount of IBU you need. I think beersmith will do it for you but there is most likely a free calculator online if you search Google. Or one of these lovely people can hopefully calculate it for you :) I bet it will be about .75 of them.

I did this recipe last batch. My OG was 1.046. I used 0.6oz of Williamette @ 60 min and .25oz of Williamette @ 15 min and my IBU calculation was about 18 IBU's doing a full boil; 6.7 gallons boiled down to 5.5 gal batch.

Jayhem said:
67-68 degrees ambient is too warm for the active part of primary fermentation. The beer temp will rise to 6-9F HIGHER than ambient which means you may be fermenting at 74-77F which is way too warm and could contribute off flavors and that is NOT something you want in a lighter beer like this.

Can you lower the temp to about 62F for the first 4-5 days of primary?

I have this cream ale in my primary right now at 61F and after 5 days it's just about ready to drop the krausen. I'll let it go a total of 21 days in primary, then bottle.

I can attest to this. I fermented way too warm and this beer tastes very cidery. My friend was scolding me for using plastic to ferment (micro scratches!). He thought this beer was infected. I disagree and I'm convinced it was a temp control issue. I have since started fermenting in my old kegerator with a temp controller. P.S. I graduated to a keezer.

Doing this today as my first AG. So far so good. Gona sparge soon. I think im really gona like AG brewing. Seems way easier. Lots of other first for me today too. Broke out the brinkman..not sure why I havnt used it sooner..that thing rocks! My cooler MLT seems to be working well too. Time to sparge...wish me luck..

Rdallas said:
Doing this today as my first AG. So far so good. Gona sparge soon. I think im really gona like AG brewing. Seems way easier. Lots of other first for me today too. Broke out the brinkman..not sure why I havnt used it sooner..that thing rocks! My cooler MLT seems to be working well too. Time to sparge...wish me luck..

Good luck on your first AG. If this one sticks on you, try some rice hulls next time. My MLT is prone to sticking on high adjunct beers. I used 1# of hulls with this grain bill and it went smoothly

Also, using Goldings instead of crystal hops..its what I had in the freezer..plus im using wlp080 cream ale yeast. I cant wait to try this brew.

winvarin said:
Good luck on your first AG. If this one sticks on you, try some rice hulls next time. My MLT is prone to sticking on high adjunct beers. I used 1# of hulls with this grain bill and it went smoothly
Thanks for the beta winvarin. Seems to be draining fairly well. Grain bed looks like a dryed lake bed. Also ive got no ref. Since this is my fist AG. Lookin good though. We'll see what happens through the sparge. 5.5 gallon batch btw. Happy brewing!

Just did this as a 5gal BIAB. 6lbs 2 row, 2.5lbs, flaked maize, 1lbs minute rice. Mashed in with 8gal at 154 for 70min raised heat to 170 for mashout, squeezed. I was left with 7.5gal boiled hard for 90min, 6gal left in keggle. Cooled to 68 with my chiller and whirlpooled which didn't work (only took 15min's to cool) 5gal into fermenter, started to ferment in about 16hrs. This is what it looks like 48hrs in. Milky and stinky, awsome. OG was 1.048

IMG_00000027.jpg

Just to add to the kudos for this recipe. What a great brew. So simple, so elegant. I'm sipping one now and imagining a thousand subtle variations. Only subtle variations. I wouldn't want to stray too far. Thanks Biermuncher!

This recipe is a hit with my BMC neighbors. I do have one question about clarity. I am wondering if I need to alter the mash schedule a bit. I brewed the recipe pretty much unaltered from Biermuncher's, just different hops.

100 min mash at 152 (only lost 3 degrees during mash). Batch sparge, runnings were recirculated clear before each batch. 90 min boil on the nose.

Stayed cloudy throughout ferment, even after the krausen dropped. 14 days primary at 68f. 7 days secondary with kwikkleer (I think that's isenglass and kielsol(?)) on the last 3 days. Even cold crashed 48 hrs before kegging.

It has cleared as most of my beers do as the sediment drops out and is pulled through the tap. But I've never gotten that brilliant clarity a log of you seem to get.

I did get a lot of the cold break when I racked from BK to primary. I figure it is either that o something with my mash.

This recipe is a hit with my BMC neighbors. I do have one question about clarity. I am wondering if I need to alter the mash schedule a bit. I brewed the recipe pretty much unaltered from Biermuncher's, just different hops.

100 min mash at 152 (only lost 3 degrees during mash). Batch sparge, runnings were recirculated clear before each batch. 90 min boil on the nose.

Stayed cloudy throughout ferment, even after the krausen dropped. 14 days primary at 68f. 7 days secondary with kwikkleer (I think that's isenglass and kielsol(?)) on the last 3 days. Even cold crashed 48 hrs before kegging.

It has cleared as most of my beers do as the sediment drops out and is pulled through the tap. But I've never gotten that brilliant clarity a log of you seem to get.

I did get a lot of the cold break when I racked from BK to primary. I figure it is either that o something with my mash.
Try this:
  • Whirfloc as the boil clarifier (about 10 minutes before the end of boil)
  • Dissolved gelatin in the secondary (this is where the beer really clears up)
  • Allow three weeks chilled in the keg if you can to assure clarity.
  • Make sure your dip tubes are off the bottom of the keg by bending them sharper or actually cutting them (if they are straight tubes)

:mug:

I used whirfloc in mine and it cleared perfectly clear after about a month in the bottle and a week in the fridge. I also noticed I get better clarity when I cold crash for about 5 days. For me, it makes a big difference.

So I brewed this recipe 3 weeks ago and just bottled last night.

As always I bottle a couple clear bottles so I can check on progress of clearing.

What do you think of this? I think it looks too light, Chardonnay light! Most pictures I've seen posted in this thread seem a bit darker than this. This might not even be 2 SRM!

Creamof3Cropsv1.jpg

Tastes smooth at bottling but compared to any homebrew I've made before this tastes like water. Should I be worried? I'm planning on making 10 gal of this for my brother's wedding in late August if this comes out good. Can someone who bottled this tell me how it tasted at bottling? Mine is a bit sweet, smooth, watery, not very exciting...will it change a lot with carbonation and time?

My recipe for a 5.5gal batch:
6 lb 2-row Pale
2 lb flaked corn
1 lb flaked rice

0.6oz Williamette @ 60 min
0.25oz Williamette @ 15 min
Total IBU's: 16.5

US-05 Yeast

Mashed grains for 75 min @ 154F

Full boil

OG measured: 1.045

FG measured: 1.010

I did use 1/2 tsp of Irish moss in the last 10 min of boil

Brewed this a week ago and it already tastes very close to BMC stuff.

Nice and clean looking already. I had some Willamette and Saas so went with those and it seems to be fine so far.
My OG was off I was at about 1.035 so added some sugar and got that up to 1.040. My gravity after a week is 1.005 which seems to be spot on. I am currently brewing for some weddings and summer events so will likely do the same brew again this coming weekend and just re pitch the yeast.

Way quicker than doing a proper Lager :)

Thanks

So I brewed this recipe 3 weeks ago and just bottled last night.

As always I bottle a couple clear bottles so I can check on progress of clearing.

What do you think of this? I think it looks too light, Chardonnay light! Most pictures I've seen posted in this thread seem a bit darker than this. This might not even be 2 SRM!

Creamof3Cropsv1.jpg

Tastes smooth at bottling but compared to any homebrew I've made before this tastes like water. Should I be worried? I'm planning on making 10 gal of this for my brother's wedding in late August if this comes out good. Can someone who bottled this tell me how it tasted at bottling? Mine is a bit sweet, smooth, watery, not very exciting...will it change a lot with carbonation and time?

My recipe for a 5.5gal batch:
6 lb 2-row Pale
2 lb flaked corn
1 lb flaked rice

0.6oz Williamette @ 60 min
0.25oz Williamette @ 15 min
Total IBU's: 16.5

US-05 Yeast

Mashed grains for 75 min @ 154F

Full boil

OG measured: 1.045

FG measured: 1.010

I did use 1/2 tsp of Irish moss in the last 10 min of boil

Looks good to me. Mine was very light also but when poured next to a bud light, they looked almost identical.

I am planning to make up a big batch of this to split up for some easy drinking summer beers. For one of the splits, I want to secondary this on some Jalepeno's for a nice Jalepeno Beer, would this recipe work for that?

All of the Jalepeno Beer recipes I have seen were usually a bit more complex but I figured this might be a good base to use.

Any input on this is appreciated!

I dont think I would personally use this for a jalapeno beer myself, as it is very light tasting. I would maybe think of adding a fruittoit. For jalapeno, I.always think of something like a porter or stout. Bit if you are going to, i would use very little pepper to not overpower the characteristics of the beer itself.

I dont think I would personally use this for a jalapeno beer myself, as it is very light tasting. I would maybe think of adding a fruittoit. For jalapeno, I.always think of something like a porter or stout. Bit if you are going to, i would use very little pepper to not overpower the characteristics of the beer itself.

I agree. This beer is too light tasting to add much else to it without overpowering it.

IMO this would make a fine chile beer.

I do think you'd "overpower" the other ingredients, but isn't that kind of the point?

IMO this would make a fine chile beer.

I do think you'd "overpower" the other ingredients, but isn't that kind of the point?

Good point and this is kind of what I am going for, a good base and just a nice pepper kick to it. I am planning to make up 11 gallons so I figured I would separate out 3 gallons of it to experiment with. I am planning to do the rest as a lime beer so maybe a chile/lime beer might be good.

I will post back once I have the finished product but if anyone has some pointers for me, please let me know!

Brewed this yesterday, I’ve never brewed anything this light before. The wort looked like lemonade, I thought I had low efficiency, but I actually crushed it, north of 90% (OG 1.045)!
My 5.8 gal version:
6 lbs. Pale Malt
1 lbs. Crushed Maze
1 lbs. Minute Rice
90 min mash @148
90 min boil
.75 oz. Hersbrucker, 2.3AA @60
.75 oz. Chec Saaz, 3.0AA @60
.25 oz. Hersbrucker, 2.3AA @30
.25 oz. Chec Saaz, 3.0AA @30

Whirlfloc @10 min, IC, pitched Safale US-05@68

Looks much lighter in person
IMG_0783.jpg

Good point and this is kind of what I am going for, a good base and just a nice pepper kick to it. I am planning to make up 11 gallons so I figured I would separate out 3 gallons of it to experiment with. I am planning to do the rest as a lime beer so maybe a chile/lime beer might be good.

I will post back once I have the finished product but if anyone has some pointers for me, please let me know!

It will be cool to hear your results. Using just a bit of the wort seems like a great idea!

Gettin ready to rack ...14 days in the primary. Cold crashed and ready to go. No secondary, not enough time. Bit darker than i was thinkin it would be. No worries as long as it tastes good. Ill post details of final when bottleings done. Prost!

ForumRunner_20120610_154336.jpg

Just brewed up a batch on Saturday, it promised to ferment gently, and appeared to be keeping its promise. I swapped blow-off hose for my beautiful glass airlock and it promptly shoved a quart of yeast foam through and all over the counter.

I should learn this lesson, but I'm slow... or just infatuated with the glass airlock.

I learned my lesson too. Now i always start with a blow off tube. This batch of c3c was awesome. It fermented like a full boil. I couldn't help but watch it everytime i walked by it.

Update: after bottleing i got 44 12s. So that only comes to 4.1 gallons. I must be doin something wrong with my volume measurements. This was my first AG, so to find my mash out vol. I had a 8 gallon boil kettle which i used a simple algebraic formula to determine volume by depth measurement with a ruler. Anyway, i thought i started the boil with6.5 gal. And ended with 5.5. I cant emagine loseing 1.4 gallons during ferm. I think ill have to re-evaluate my method of volume measurement. Blah blah blah....samples tasted awesome. I cant wait to drink this beer. Thanks for the great brew Bier muncher

This morning's C3C, while I was staring at it to prevent a boil over.
428487_10100266601186175_872878482_n.jpg

In true BierMuncher style, that is one ugly kettle. I need a file.

Active fermentation 5 hrs later with a notty repitch.
AvVHWV7CMAEo_3L.jpg:large

This beer is trapped in the closet, hence the bad lighting and r kelly soundtrack.

Brewed this yesterday, with 30 min left in the boil I ran out of propane on my burner. so I quickly transferred it to the stove to finish out the boil. Unfortunately in all the chaos i forgot to add the Irish Moss with 10 min left. So now I plan on using gelatin when I transfer to the secondary. It is currently in my son of fermentation chamber @68, question is when I add the gelatin should I just go ahead and cold crash it as well or do you think it would be fine just adding the gelatin and putting it back into the fermentation chamber for a week @68.

Brewed this yesterday, with 30 min left in the boil I ran out of propane on my burner. so I quickly transferred it to the stove to finish out the boil. Unfortunately in all the chaos i forgot to add the Irish Moss with 10 min left. So now I plan on using gelatin when I transfer to the secondary. It is currently in my son of fermentation chamber @68, question is when I add the gelatin should I just go ahead and cold crash it as well or do you think it would be fine just adding the gelatin and putting it back into the fermentation chamber for a week @68.

I would personally cold crash it at the same time to try to get it to clear up quicker, but I would also be fermenting it at a little lower temperature. This is a very clean tasting beer and I wouldn't want higher fermentation temperatures to give any off flavors! Remember that the beer will be a little higher than 68* when it is fermenting, even though the chamber is at 68* with the yeasties making heat. I believe the OP has it fermented at 68* beer temperature. I think I fermented this at about 62* and it came out nice and clean.

Back