Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting ready to brew two 11.5 gallon batches of this back to back this Saturday

I am doing one with the flaked corn and rice and one with corn meal and minute rice

so I can do a side by side tasting in 2 weeks

all the best

S_M

getting ready to brew two 11.5 gallon batches of this back to back this Saturday

I am doing one with the flaked corn and rice and one with corn meal and minute rice

all the best

S_M

The next time I brew this one I plan to use white corn meal and minute rice. Not sure when, but it will probably be mid summer.

The next time I brew this one I plan to use white corn meal and minute rice. Not sure when, but it will probably be mid summer.

never tried white I use Indian Head Yellow Corn Meal as almost any grocery store here has it

but if the flaked corn/rice tastes better I will just start using that

I may have to try the white

S_M

all the best

S_M

I have my cream ale I built with biermuncher's recipe as a basis in bottles and co3c in the fermenter and am also planning on a side by side comparison for my bmc drinking dad. I swapped 2-row for MO and added oats...trying to broaden his craft beer horizons

Hey,

I was thinking what to do for my first brew next month, and the choice stop on 3 Croops :)

But I need to recalc this to metric system and for 25 liters.

Ingredients for 25l
------------
3,16kg - Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) - can I use Pale Ale malt from Strzegom?
1,05kg - Corn Grits
0,26kg - Rice - I think about to use well cooked Haruka rice, will be ok ?

16,47g Willamette [5.20%] (60 min)
16,47g Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

This will be ok ?

Hey,

I was thinking what to do for my first brew next month, and the choice stop on 3 Croops :)

But I need to recalc this to metric system and for 25 liters.

Ingredients for 25l
------------
3,16kg - Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) - can I use Pale Ale malt from Strzegom?
1,05kg - Corn Grits
0,26kg - Rice - I think about to use well cooked Haruka rice, will be ok ?

16,47g Willamette [5.20%] (60 min)
16,47g Crystal [3.50%] (60 min)

This will be ok ?

I'd say no to the rice. I believe it has to be cerealed, like minute rice or rice flakes. I'm not going to convert your metric back, but the measurements look right to me.

well I did brew a batch of this on Saturday but did not do the second one as I need to rethink back to back batches

I may just gets a couple of bigger pots so I can do 23 gallon batches

but I did brew my second batch yesterday with minute rice and corn meal

smells is about the same as the flaked stuff the hot break on the corn meal brew was different a lot more

so in about 10 days or so I will have them both in the glass and do a side by side

all the best

S_M

So just got me a new 50lb bag of 2-row for making lots of this.
I got to thinking - I have a bag of crystal and wondered what that might do to mix some in...
Please let me know what it would do flavor wise and what ratio you might add some?
Cheers

So just got me a new 50lb bag of 2-row for making lots of this.
I got to thinking - I have a bag of crystal and wondered what that might do to mix some in...
Please let me know what it would do flavor wise and what ratio you might add some?
Cheers

I have a batch in primary that I added 1/4 oz of crystal 40 to. It didn't change the color all that much but odour during the boil was definitely different. Going to turn this into a Cream of 5 grains by the time I'm done experimenting!

As I've mentioned a few times, I brew this for my dad and I had an extra vanilla bean I was gonna add and he shot the idea down. I gotta find something to change it up subtly. I'm trying to get him alittle further into the craft/homebrew world.

I'm trying to get him alittle further into the craft/homebrew world.

good luck it can be hard to get a BCM drinker to drink something else, but he likes C3Cs

so you are doing OK :)

just started cold crash 23 gallons of this, one with flaked rice/corn one with not

will be doing a side by side next weekend

all thew best

S_M

As I've mentioned a few times, I brew this for my dad and I had an extra vanilla bean I was gonna add and he shot the idea down. I gotta find something to change it up subtly. I'm trying to get him alittle further into the craft/homebrew world.

May I suggest removing a pound of 2 row barley and adding a pound of rye? It adds a subtle, "spicy" touch of change of flavor

Vienna is probably a better bet than rye as I'm not a huge fan of rye beers, I brewed this not that long ago and added oats and swapped the 2-row for MO and he thought it was "ok" but still preferred co3c

Vienna is probably a better bet than rye as I'm not a huge fan of rye beers, I brewed this not that long ago and added oats and swapped the 2-row for MO and he thought it was "ok" but still preferred co3c

I brewed this a while back with MO in place of the two row and was supposed to report back.

As you said, this is okay and I'm drinking it but it seems to me it was better with the two row. Although there really isn't anything wrong with this brew with MO. Just different.

I'm drinking one now, originally I thought it was great, now I'm thinking maybe the hop combination isn't right for MO, or maybe I should only substitute some of the 2-row with MO...I'm still experimenting but ill get it

just kegged 20 gallons of this and tasted a sample of both

the flaked corn/rice tasted more corny which I liked the one with cornmeal and minute rice was a bit cloudier with less corn

the cornmeal/minute rice brew was turned around quick 7 days with a 2 day cold crash

but it was at FG so into the keg it goes :)

I will update this after it is carbonated

all the best

S_M

just kegged 20 gallons of this and tasted a sample of both

the flaked corn/rice tasted more corny which I liked the one with cornmeal and minute rice was a bit cloudier with less corn

the cornmeal/minute rice brew was turned around quick 7 days with a 2 day cold crash

but it was at FG so into the keg it goes :)

I will update this after it is carbonated

all the best

S_M
There calling for at least three weeks.Are you saying this is a 10 day beer.My pipeline is out.I was just flipping through some posts and someone said it tasted corny up until 1 month.I followed the recipe exactly.

There calling for at least three weeks.Are you saying this is a 10 day beer.My pipeline is out.I was just flipping through some posts and someone said it tasted corny up until 1 month.I followed the recipe exactly.

I turn all my Ales over in 10 to 14 day, anything with a 1.040 to 1.050 OG

I do a mild that starts at 1.038 that finishes quicker, I pitch lots of healthy yeast and ferment at 64-65 F

I use mostly 05 and get a very clean beer, for me when a beer is done it is done into a keg it goings

I thought a cream ales was suppose have a bit corn taste

A well made beer doesn't need time to age out off flavors, and you don't create off-flavors in the first place.

Yooper

but in the end it is all about what you like and what works for you

all the best

S_M

EDIT if I told you after 6 hours on gas at 30 psi the taste really close would you tell me it is a bit early ;)

had to try a pint of each :)

S_M

I started writing a novel, deleted it, and now will be straight to the point.

Recipe: Cream of Three Crops

Second time BIAB'er

With miscalculations, I ended up boiling the wort for 3 1/2 hours instead of 90 minutes. Hops ended up boiling for 60 min, removed and the boil had to continue for another 120 min to hit post boil volume.

Way overestimated strike water volume. Boil off rate was half of what it was last time. (used a different burner, ugh). i went from a 10 gallon brew to a 5 gallon brew and screwed up some numbers.

Good: OG came in on the nose at 1.044. This morning it is bubbling away in the 68 degree sauna room. Has a darker color, also.

Bad news, fairly bitter. I don't like bitter. Hope it mellows!
:eek:

The first batch I made is a hit so far!

I started writing a novel, deleted it, and now will be straight to the point.

Recipe: Cream of Three Crops

Second time BIAB'er

With miscalculations, I ended up boiling the wort for 3 1/2 hours instead of 90 minutes. Hops ended up boiling for 60 min, removed and the boil had to continue for another 120 min to hit post boil volume.

Way overestimated strike water volume. Boil off rate was half of what it was last time. (used a different burner, ugh). i went from a 10 gallon brew to a 5 gallon brew and screwed up some numbers.

Good: OG came in on the nose at 1.044. This morning it is bubbling away in the 68 degree sauna room. Has a darker color, also.

Bad news, fairly bitter. I don't like bitter. Hope it mellows!
:eek:

The first batch I made is a hit so far!

it will be beer :)

So I bottled up the 3 Crop 2 sundays ago and thought i would crack one to try.
They have been conditioning upstairs around 68-70F.(I know to early).
I put in fridge for a day and when i cracked it open got a big whiff of sweet sour smell.
The Carbness is perfect.
I dont even know how to describe the taste of it.
Almost wine like taste.
My only explanation i can think of is my mash temp wasnt steady it raised and dropped few degrees but nothing serious.
Does anyone know what to make of this??
Maybe more aging wil help?!

So I bottled up the 3 Crop 2 sundays ago and thought i would crack one to try.
They have been conditioning upstairs around 68-70F.(I know to early).
I put in fridge for a day and when i cracked it open got a big whiff of sweet sour smell.
The Carbness is perfect.
I dont even know how to describe the taste of it.
Almost wine like taste.
My only explanation i can think of is my mash temp wasnt steady it raised and dropped few degrees but nothing serious.
Does anyone know what to make of this??
Maybe more aging wil help?!

I lost track of who was doing what with this recipe. What was your grain bill? Both of mine had a bit of a bite, I'm going to cut the corn in half on the next one, I think that's where the wine/corn bitterness is coming in.

Batch Size:*2.91 galStyle:*Cream Ale (6A)Boil Size:*4.31 galStyle Guide:*BJCP 2008Color:*3.7 SRMEquipment:*Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIABBitterness:*25.5 IBUsBoil Time:*60 minEst OG:*1.046 (11.4° P)Mash Profile:*Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash OutEst FG:*1.011 SG (2.7° P)Fermentation:*Ale, Single StageABV:*4.6%Taste Rating:*30.0

IngredientsAmountType
4.0 ozCaramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)Grain1
4 lbs 8.0 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain2
8.0 ozRice, Flaked (1.0 SRM)Grain3
8.0 ozCorn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)Grain4
0.5 ozAmarillo Gold [8.5%] -
Boil 40 minHops5
0.5 ozCrystal [3.5%] -
Boil 5 minHops6
.5 pkgsNottingham (Danstar #-)Yeast7
0.5 ozCascade [5.5%] -
Dry Hop 7 daysHops

Batch Size:*2.91 galStyle:*Cream Ale (6A)Boil Size:*4.31 galStyle Guide:*BJCP 2008Color:*3.7 SRMEquipment:*Pot ( 5 Gal/19 L) - Mini-BIABBitterness:*25.5 IBUsBoil Time:*60 minEst OG:*1.046 (11.4° P)Mash Profile:*Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash OutEst FG:*1.011 SG (2.7° P)Fermentation:*Ale, Single StageABV:*4.6%Taste Rating:*30.0

IngredientsAmountType
4.0 ozCaramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)Grain1
4 lbs 8.0 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)Grain2
8.0 ozRice, Flaked (1.0 SRM)Grain3
8.0 ozCorn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)Grain4
0.5 ozAmarillo Gold [8.5%] -
Boil 40 minHops5
0.5 ozCrystal [3.5%] -
Boil 5 minHops6
.5 pkgsNottingham (Danstar #-)Yeast7
0.5 ozCascade [5.5%] -
Dry Hop 7 daysHops

I think you and are in the same boat here. Only difference is I do 5 gal batches. I'm thinking of cutting the corn and rice in half. I'm also going to try using less bittering hops as well as using something lighter (I used northern brewer) like cascade. And for flavoring I'm going to use 1/4 oz Citra at 10 min.

Food for thought on the next batch. As for the one you have going right now. Maybe give it another 7-14 days to see if that helps it mellow a bit.

I think you and are in the same boat here. Only difference is I do 5 gal batches. I'm thinking of cutting the corn and rice in half. I'm also going to try using less bittering hops as well as using something lighter (I used northern brewer) like cascade. And for flavoring I'm going to use 1/4 oz Citra at 10 min.

Food for thought on the next batch. As for the one you have going right now. Maybe give it another 7-14 days to see if that helps it mellow a bit.

Ok,Thanks for the input! Ya i hope it mellows a bit that would be great.
I was really looking forward to this batch.The Carb level is perfect on it go figure but flavours way off.
I will have to wait and see and brew again.

Ok,Thanks for the input! Ya i hope it mellows a bit that would be great.
I was really looking forward to this batch.The Carb level is perfect on it go figure but flavours way off.
I will have to wait and see and brew again.

this PDF might give you some help to pin down what you are tasting

http://morebeer.com/public/pdf/off_flavor.pdf

out of curiosity have you brewed this recipe as written?

if so how did it taste?

all the best

S_M

Just started drinking my first batch of this. Did a 9 gallon batch and split it into two 5 gallon fermentors. Racked one fermentor to a secondary with 6 cans of apricots in heavy syrup (bought at Jungle Jim's). I dipped the cans in star-san, then opened them and pureed the apricots and syrup in a sanitized blender. I poured this pureed mixture into the secondary and racked the beer on top of the apricots.

I also added half a bottle of apricot extract to the apricot half at bottling time.

The straight batch came out at 5.0% ABV with the apricot half clocking in at 6.6% ABV. The heavy syrup gave the apricot half a boost.

Both are excellent, although head and head retention are still weak. This seems to be improving slowly.

This batch was brewed on 2/25/15, the apricot half racked on 3/1/15, and then bottled on 3/18/15.

Yield from this batch was 84 bottles, or approximately 7.75 gallons.

Straight CO3C:
CO3C 01.jpg
CO3C 02.jpg

Apricot version:
CO3C Apricot 01.jpg

A little hard to see in the light, but I am holding the cap behind the glass. The beer is clear than it appears in this picture.
CO3C Apricot 02.jpg

The apricot version is slightly cloudier, but only slightly. Both present quite well.

Thanks BierMuncher!

this PDF might give you some help to pin down what you are tasting

http://morebeer.com/public/pdf/off_flavor.pdf

out of curiosity have you brewed this recipe as written?

if so how did it taste?

all the best

S_M

Awesome info. That pdf is a keeper thanks S_M!

My first batch of this was by the original recipe but scaled for a 5 gal batch. Second batch I tried to make a couple of changes by adding Carafoam, in place of 1lb of the 2 row. And changed the hop profiles as I used what I had on hand.

Second batch was way more popular than the first, but still not quite what I was hoping for. But very close.

Going to brew a 3rd batch on Monday.

AJ

Liking the round cap labels. How did you make those CGish.

They are Avery 5408. I get them from Amazon and print as needed. They are less than $6 per 1008 labels. Target or Staples will also have them, but they are a little more money. I find it a lot easier than messing with larger labels for beers and wines I am just drinking here at the house. I can always add a larger label if it is necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made a fresh batch of this this morning.
Original five gallon recipe from the first page but added 1/2 lb. flaked barley to see if it makes for a creamier head and also used flaked rice instead of minute rice.

Still haven't figured out how I did it but when I put the water in the tun, 13 qts, after stirring in all of the grains I saw that I now had 5 gallons in the tun instead of a little over three.

So ended up running it like a brutus system and just recirculated the wort throughout the 90 minute mash.

Certainly made for clear wort at the beginning of the boil. And all of the numbers turned out well.

Hmmm. I think I may have figured out where the water came from. I shut off the bottom valve on the HLT but didn't have the bottom valve on the MT closed. I had to have gotten a siphon back through the pump from the top of the HLT.

Back