Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got into mine for the first time yesterday. I entered it in a local competition today to get some feedback on it.
Cascade Brewers comp? I was going to get some in, but it's just not going to happen. I'd love to hear how you do. I put this into Novembeerfest last year but with apricot extract, placed 3rd, got a 36 average score. And that was 5 months after brewing it.

Cascade Brewers comp? I was going to get some in, but it's just not going to happen. I'd love to hear how you do. I put this into Novembeerfest last year but with apricot extract, placed 3rd, got a 36 average score. And that was 5 months after brewing it.

Just dropped them off today. O'Connors Home brew shop and Unruly Brewery are running one. First time I think. Results are announced March 21.

I was just wonderin if there was a way to quick lager this beer. My lease is up on sunday and due to poor planning, it is in the primary and has finished fermenting. I was going to transfer to secondary and try to condition it. But i was wondering if there was a way to condition it a little faster in a week?

I was just wonderin if there was a way to quick lager this beer. My lease is up on sunday and due to poor planning, it is in the primary and has finished fermenting. I was going to transfer to secondary and try to condition it. But i was wondering if there was a way to condition it a little faster in a week?

Rack it to a keg or bottle it. Add priming sugar either way and you can keep it at room temp. Ive made this 5 times and havnt secondaried it yet..

on 1-20-2015 / 01-22-2015 I brewed a couple of batches and all 20 gallons were gone by 2-28-2015

I love this recipe and will have to brew another 20 gallons in a couple of weeks

all the best

S_M

Damn! Either you're an alcoholic or you have a bunch of friends that are but to a lesser degree! Lol

My batch came out so effing clear and delicious. I am sure I believe this is my best beer that I brew. Have made it three times and no other style gets this good this quickly.

Woooooooooooooo!!!- Ric Flair

I whipped this up last night into 3 gal batch,also added 4.0oz of crystal 10 malt for colour.
Came out with a gravity of 1056 when i pitched yeast.

Damn! Either you're an alcoholic or you have a bunch of friends that are but to a lesser degree! Lol

My batch came out so effing clear and delicious. I am sure I believe this is my best beer that I brew. Have made it three times and no other style gets this good this quickly.

Woooooooooooooo!!!- Ric Flair

I have brewed 10, 11.5 gallon batches of this recipe with a tweak here and there

love it, I cannot wait to brew it again

all the best

S_M

Brewed this yesterday. 2.5 gallon BIAB. OG was kinda high @ 1063. Mash efficiency was 79% according to Beersmith. This may be a 6 or 7%er. I guess I should have used 3 lbs of 2 row and not 4.

4 lb 2 Rahr 2 row
1 lb Flaked Maize
12.7 oz Flaked Rice
7.6 g Willamette
7 g Crystal
5.5 g Notty
90 minute mash
90 minute boil

This finished at 1009, so 7.09% ABV. Sample tasted pretty good. It's on gas and cold crashing right now.

Last edited:
This finished at 1009, so 7.09% ABV. Sample tasted pretty good. It's on gas and cold crashing right now.

What was your mash temp? Mine finished at 1.010 right on target but sample finished kinda sweet mashing at 154 and fly sparing with 158. Should be done carbing by Sat. I'm thinking for the next one I might mash at 149, and sparge with 154, shooting for a dryer less sweet finish.

I cracked open one of the bottles from the batch I submitted. And...it kinda sucked. It definitely wasn't carbed up enough at that point. So I went downstairs and pulled a sample off the keg. Perfect head, nicely carbed, tastes great. So while I'm happy with the beer I'm not expecting much in terms of the competition. Oh well. I submitted two other beers too.

What was your mash temp? Mine finished at 1.010 right on target but sample finished kinda sweet mashing at 154 and fly sparing with 158. Should be done carbing by Sat. I'm thinking for the next one I might mash at 149, and sparge with 154, shooting for a dryer less sweet finish.

I mashed in at 151 degrees, stirred it up and waited about five minutes and it was 149. I added 1/4 gallon to the tun to get it up to 151 degrees. 90 minutes later it was 147. I poured one gallon of 167 degree water over the bag for "mash out" and squeezed the bag.

Soo...... rookie mistake.... I'm used to doing 60 minute boils. So when I saw put the hops in at 60, I automatically put them in at the start of the boil. So basically I boiled the hops for 90 min. Does that mean I probably boiled away all the bittering flavor or do you think it will be alright?

Soo...... rookie mistake.... I'm used to doing 60 minute boils. So when I saw put the hops in at 60, I automatically put them in at the start of the boil. So basically I boiled the hops for 90 min. Does that mean I probably boiled away all the bittering flavor or do you think it will be alright?

I may be wrong, but I do believe that your 90 minute boil has increased the bittering of the hop addition. Hop aroma and flavor decrease the longer the hops are boiled, but bittering increases with time.

No Wilianette on hands. Would Fuggle work? Well heck no crystal either. Mt Hood??

Lol. I had the same problem. Ended up using Norther Brewer and Fuggles. Used Kölsch yeast as an experiment. Has a bit of a bite right now from the Kölsch. But usually after a couple weeks in the keg that disappears. Also ended up with a bit of a chill haze.

View attachment 1426264256340.jpg

Sticks to the glass nice too. Forgot to mention my twists the OP recipe:

7 lbs Cdn 2 row
1 lb flaked corn
1 lb flaked rice
1 oz Northern Brewer (.5 leaf, .5 pellet) @60 min
.5 oz fuggles @30 min
Kölsch WLP029 started from previous harvest.

Mashed single in cooler @150
Fly sparge with 168
Pre boil vol 6 gal
60 min boil to 5.2gal
Added Irish moss or Worfloc tab at 10 along with yeast nutrient.

Pre boil gravity 1.034
Post boil gravity 1.046
FG 1.010

10 days in primary, 14 days in secondary 10 days in keg CO2 carbed.

Only things I'll change for the next one:

I will leave it in secondary for another 7 days.
I will use WLP029 Cream Ale
I might cut the flaked corn and rice to .5
May add 1lb Carafoam for head retention, and cut 1 lb of of 2 row (on the fence with this one)

Otherwise it's a very smashable, session able beer. I could drink more than a few of these on a hot summer day.

Cheers to the OP!!!

AJ

View attachment 1426264584750.jpg

I may be wrong, but I do believe that your 90 minute boil has increased the bittering of the hop addition. Hop aroma and flavor decrease the longer the hops are boiled, but bittering increases with time.

That is exactly what would happen, but with as little hops are in this one, you'd likely not be able to taste the difference.

Drank some of this last night. Tastes good. It does have a bit of bite to it. 7% ABV will sneak up on you FAST. I'll tone down the grain bill next time. I have a headache this morning. I blame it on my sinuses.....

Brewed 5 gallon batch this morning. After watching the post for a couple months I had to try. If it is as good as it sounds I will probably make it for our 4th if July party later this year. Can't wait to try it!

Brewing my fourth batch of this tomorrow, gotta keep the bmc drinkers happy. I have an extra two lbs of 2-row so I'm gonna throw that in to lighten my inventory

I have never brewed this with flaked corn or flaked rice

I have just used corn meal and minute rice

so next week I am going to brew two 11 gallon batches a day a part

one with flaked corn and rice, one with corn meal and minute rice

so I can do a side by side

all the best

S_M

I brewed this recipe up a few weeks ago. I used flaked corn and rice and used the BIAB method. This was my first all grain batch.

I got a surprising 1.053 OG (11.5 gallon final volume) and today I got a 1.010 FG after 23 days in fermentation. So this should be a 5.64% ABV light beer!

Loved the flavor! Five gallons is in a keg, on 12 psi, and cooling to 33 degrees with gelatin for fining. The other 5 gallons will have to wait for this weekend to get bottled.

Looking forward to drinking this and if it tastes as good as it did today, then it will be a regular in my keg!

wow that looks great and exactly the type I was looking for because most of my friends like the easy drinkers more than my more stronger flavors
I will give this one a try real soon and let you know how it came out
thanks

I brewed this recipe up a few weeks ago. I used flaked corn and rice and used the BIAB method. This was my first all grain batch.

I got a surprising 1.053 OG (11.5 gallon final volume) and today I got a 1.010 FG after 23 days in fermentation. So this should be a 5.64% ABV light beer!

Loved the flavor! Five gallons is in a keg, on 12 psi, and cooling to 33 degrees with gelatin for fining. The other 5 gallons will have to wait for this weekend to get bottled.

Looking forward to drinking this and if it tastes as good as it did today, then it will be a regular in my keg!

Did you use regular rice? How did you prep it? We don't have minute rice where I'm from!

Did you use regular rice? How did you prep it? We don't have minute rice where I'm from!

If you don't have instant or minute rice, I do believe you'll have to do a cereal mash with the rice first, a quick google search will yield instructions on this process

Heating strike water now, added an extra 2 lbs of 2-row I had laying around however I only had a 1/4lb of rice so I'm not sure about this batch

Heating strike water now, added an extra 2 lbs of 2-row I had laying around however I only had a 1/4lb of rice so I'm not sure about this batch

My bet is it will jus have a lil bit more body and color... And a touch more ABV. Ive made "this" recipe 5 times now, and every time I changed up the corn or rice, even added rye once... And it has always came out good

So I started doing consulting work for and brought a bottle of this to the CFO. He LOVED it. "You made this?" he said. "It's the best beer I've ever had."

Brought a bottle to the owner and he then asked me to brew 10 gallons for a party he's having in May.

This brew is a winner - a big hit with everyone. :ban:

Back