Cream of 3 grains variant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_4iT

Reaction score
Ok, well my plan was to transfer my white ale to kegs and use its 7 gallon primary to ferment 5.5 to 6 gallon cream of 3 grains wort. I still have some left over beer in some of the kegs, so I figure now just let the white ale age longer in that primary and just use the 5 gallon carboy I have for the cream of 3 grains (only fermentors I have).

The amount of grains I bought are for a 5.5 gallon recipe and bought some light DME to possibly stretch it out to 6 gallons and/or adjust gravity. If I use all ingredients with or without DME and tone it down to 5 gallons will the taste still be palatable?

was also thinking maybe adding a little extra DME and possibly maple syrup, not much just to bring the ABV level up and give it some light notes and be somewhat original, to some degree... :p

I'm thinking it wil taste fine. If you are tracking your gravities and they are similar it should work. There may be some differences in flavor, but still quite drinkable.

Well did it...

First all grain recipe... messed it up quite a bit lol. Thought I had all the necessary supplies but didn't expect the amount of water displacement once all the grain was in. then the temperature dropped down to 130 during the steep and could only add a few cups of boiling water before the pot was completely full. When I did the sparge the temperature seemed to change dramatically as I was fandangling the bag of grains in my hand and trying to hold it over the pot without getting a bunch of it onto the stove and the floor. Sticky stuff....

Tried to use a colander and it fell in, to remove some of the grains from the bag to make it easier because it was spilling over the sides of the pot... Plus it boiled over later

In the end I believe I didn't get good attenuation nor conversion because of constant temp changes and loss of wort, for a 5.5 gallon batch even tappered down to a 5 gallon I only had roughly the gravity for a 4% abv beer. I added a cup of DME and a cup of sugar, didn't check after because I wanted to get the yeast in befor it dropped too much.

Probably will taste like a coors light when it's done.... oh well lesson learned.

I have had several disasters along the way and decent beer always was the end result. Maybe not what I was originally shooting for, but something to remember for the next batch.

Back