Cream ale changed flavor after kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgbrew

Reaction score
Brewed a cream ale and it turned out fantastic. Kegged it into a corny keg that was filled with star san which was forced out with co2 and spunding valve. Closed transfer from all rounder using co2. Beer came out a little undercarbed after a week but tasted and looked fantastic. Upped the co2 for another 3 days. Beer was amazing until 2 days after that. Noticed it got a tad bit darker and has an off flavor. Almost like an artificial plastic taste. Don't think it's bandaid plastic but all the same.... using new eva barrier lines and the keg hasn't been exposed to oxygen as far as I know. Seems kind of quick to be oxidation. Carbonic acid maybe??? Thoughts?

Was more of a straw color. I don't have a pic of the original but this happened within 3 days of final carbonation

Attachments

• 20230417_151125.jpg
    20230417_151125.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
That artificial-plastic off flavour can occur when sanitizer solution comes in contact with the yeast leftover in the beer. Any chance of leftover solution in the keg after pushing with co2?

The color change looks like oxidation to me but based on your process description it seems like that wouldn't be the case. DO you feel like your keg loses pressure over time? Is it possible you have a loose seal and there is oxygen entering the beer in small quantities over time?

That's where my brain was going. It's a brand new keg and I actually checked it after transferring the beer and didn't notice any leaks. As far as sanitizer goes, I didn't think there was any left as it was just venting co2 after all of the sanitizer was pushed out. I'll check it when I use it again. I'm going to down the remaining 3 gallons of it first... it's drinkable for now

As long as it's drinkable, enjoy it for now!

Quick question: When you say you checked it after transferring the beer, what did you do to check?

I checked to see if the keg was holding pressure. No leaks around the lid (starsan to see any bubbles. Posts weren't leaking, PRV wasn't leaking.

Usually plastic is from chlorine/chloramines in the water, or an infection. Since it showed up later I would go with the latter, unless you don't use filtered or treated water.

Brewed a cream ale and it turned out fantastic. Kegged it into a corny keg that was filled with star san which was forced out with co2 and spunding valve. Closed transfer from all rounder using co2. Beer came out a little undercarbed after a week but tasted and looked fantastic. Upped the co2 for another 3 days. Beer was amazing until 2 days after that. Noticed it got a tad bit darker and has an off flavor. Almost like an artificial plastic taste. Don't think it's bandaid plastic but all the same.... using new eva barrier lines and the keg hasn't been exposed to oxygen as far as I know. Seems kind of quick to be oxidation. Carbonic acid maybe??? Thoughts?
I always rinse my keg and dip tube with hot water after sanitizing with Starsan then purge with CO2. Just don’t want anything else in the Keg but my Beer. (Ever rinse Starsan and look at it)?
Just my personal opinion.
Cheers !

I always rinse my keg and dip tube with hot water after sanitizing with Starsan then purge with CO2. Just don’t want anything else in the Keg but my Beer. (Ever rinse Starsan and look at it)?
Just my personal opinion.
Cheers !
Why would you rinse after sanitizing? You are just reintroducing microbes to the surfaces. Don't fear Starsan.

Didn't mean to ruffle anybody's feathers. I think I'm just getting cold side oxidation from somewhere. My next is going to be an attempt at a neipa so I want to find out where it's getting in for sure before I brew it

Lots of ways to murder a beer with oxygen.

Cold-crashing without providing exogenous CO2 to prevent sucking in air is enough on its own. Racking into a non-purged keg is an obvious one, but
not purging transfer hoses before racking into a perfectly purged keg is a killer, as can be pushing head space gases into a keg, unless the fermenter was never opened for hopping/testing/sampling, but even then it's a practice best avoided.

Ya gots to be hella anal about O2 if you're gonna brew an neipa with any legs :)

Cheers!

Lots of ways to murder a beer with oxygen.

Cold-crashing without providing exogenous CO2 to prevent sucking in air is enough on its own. Racking into a non-purged keg is an obvious one, but
not purging transfer hoses before racking into a perfectly purged keg is a killer, as can be pushing head space gases into a keg, unless the fermenter was never opened for hopping/testing/sampling, but even then it's a practice best avoided.

Ya gots to be hella anal about O2 if you're gonna brew an neipa with any legs :)

Cheers!
I put about 5psi of co2 in the fermenter (all rounder) before cold crashing to prevent suck back. I honestly can't remember if I purged the jumper after sanitizing it and before transferring. I usually do. Keg was for sure purged.

Latest posts

Back