Cream ale, American wheat or weizenbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesheperd

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering what is your favorite light beer out of these three? Weizenbier, American wheat or cream ale? I'm trying to determine which I will brew next..

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well, I hate wheat beers. Hate them. So, of those three I'd pick cream ale. I like cream ale alot anyway, and find it a great summer time refreshing beer. But since the other two are wheat beers, that made it really easy for me!

Well, I hate wheat beers. Hate them. So, of those three I'd pick cream ale. I like cream ale alot anyway, and find it a great summer time refreshing beer. But since the other two are wheat beers, that made it really easy for me!

Yeah I'm leaning more towards the cream ale just because it sounds good to start with!

I've been brewing a cream ale type using a 6 grain rolled cereal grain. It has red and white wheat, oats, rye, barley and triticale. I guess maybe it isn't a cream ale but I don't know what else it would be. IMHO it works extremely well. I gelatinize the cereal then add some to the 6 row/2 row mash and add amalyse to the rest as a separate mash. I'm still playing AG percentages and trying some PM with MO extract just because I can.

I've been brewing a cream ale type using a 6 grain rolled cereal grain. It has red and white wheat, oats, rye, barley and triticale. I guess maybe it isn't a cream ale but I don't know what else it would be. IMHO it works extremely well. I gelatinize the cereal then add some to the 6 row/2 row mash and add amalyse to the rest as a separate mash. I'm still playing AG percentages and trying some PM with MO extract just because I can.

Extract bud not all grain(; I'll be switching to all grain in a few months though!

I can enjoy them all, but I'd go for the Weizen. They're easy to do with extract, and a forgiving yeast that can tolerate warmer temps and lower pitching rates than many other yeast strains. Brewing an excellent Weizen is a challenge, but easy to brew a good one. The other two would be more challenging to brew and off flavors more noticeable.

Summertime is intended for good cream ale and ginger beer.

Brewing an excellent Weizen is a challenge, but easy to brew a good one.

Second that, it's easy to brew a good one. My first hefeweizen was all extract and it turned out good - took me all of 20 minutes to put it together, start to finish. Note that I have drank thousands of bottles of hefeweizen while living in Germany, and even more since then, so I know good weissbier.

My two friends and I, we completely destroyed a full sized batch while sitting out on my patio and grilling.

So now it's between a Weizenbier and cream ale, more votes on the Weizenbier so far.

I'm with Yooper. I don't care for wheat beers at all. I'd go with the cream ale.
Which do you like better? That is the most important question.

I haven't ever had a wheat beer I don't think? :S and never had a cream ale either.. So that's why I'm getting y'all's opinions..

I've brewed wheat beers before. But I'd love to find a pm recipe for Little Kings cream ale. Addicted to those lil' killers in my youth.:mug:

Yes. It's not as sweet & seems to be lighter bodied. Still great flavor though. Availability locally is on & off,though. Too bad the last time I found it,those 8oz bottles had become twisties...:(

I saw a kit/recipe on Northern Brewer (I think) for a Spotted Cow cream ale clone. I think the called it "Speckled Heiffer".. cute. It had good reviews and I was thinking of trying that. I'm currently fermenting one the Brewer's Best Cream Ale kits. I got that because it was easy and I was in a rush to brew something that would be ready for a party I'm having on the 4th of July where we consume beer, BBQ, and blow up half the sky! :ban:

I wasn't much of a fan of Wheat Beers. I'd tried Rickard's White and Keith's White when they started being produced since they were the "new thing." They did nothing for me at all. I didn't like the flavour or the mouthfeel.

Then I tried Schneider-Weisse Original and my opinion completely changed. Having had the opportunity since then to go to Germany a couple of times exposed me to a bunch of Wheat Beers that I now enjoy. In fact, I'm currently fermenting a Weissbier as my summer beer. I made a half-batch for a friend last year in exchange for a camera lens and decided to re-make it for myself for this summer.

Then I tried Schneider-Weisse Original and my opinion completely changed. Having had the opportunity since then to go to Germany a couple of times exposed me to a bunch of Wheat Beers that I now enjoy.

Schneider-Weisse is definitely a good drop - I've had racks of it stacked tall against my basement wall. As well, Maisel's Weisse is excellent. Tücher also is very good. There are a whole lot of German biers that aren't very heavily exported, if at all, that are just awesome.

Probably my favorite German summer bier is Erdinger Kristallweizen.

Funny you should ask. I have a Creme Ale carbing in the bottle right now. I brewed a Northern Brewer Creme Ale last year and loved it so much I had to clone it with a slight modification.
This time around I bought the comparative ingredients from another supplier and brewed but with an addition of an ounce of Willamette hops (leaf) at 15 minutes.
I just cracked a bottle after 2 weeks of conditioning, and it is a nice well rounded beer! I'm going to give another week to week and a half of conditioning before opening another.
So in closing, go for the Creme Ale!!!! Nice summer beer!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thank you all, I have made my decision an will be goin with the cream ale!!:) I'll try a few commercials wheat beers at the liquor store before I brew a wheat beer.. Lol

Great choice. Cream ales are a lot of fun to brew and perfect for hot weather.

Yeah I would like a beer when I get home, or out swimming at the lake or creek..

I like them all but my first beer was a cream ale and is the only recipe I have brewed over again, mostly because I had so many requests for more.

I brew a cream ale that all my family and friends like a lot. 8 oz. carapills, 8 oz. biscuit malt, 3.3 lbs. LME, 2 lbs. Pilsen DME, 2 oz. northern brewer hops and a pound of dextrose. Ferment with S05. I've had people offer to pay me to make this for them. It turns out very well and is perfect for summer.

Back