Crazy yeast and oilslick issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffd10

Reaction score
Hey All,

Quick question(s)... I am 16 days in primary @64 degrees (I cant get the house warm enough)

I have the German heffe and the Dubliner going..

(1) It seems like I have yeast balls? rising and falling still after 16 days (in both fermenters) bit worried bout that

(2) I see a bit of blue-white milkiness in the Dubliner (not everywhere but like a mini oil slick) worried about that

OG for the Heffe was 1.042 ...tested last night 1.010
OG for the Dubliner was 1.040 tested last night 1.011

I sampled the beers last night ....standard flat beer taste..

I went to take another reading tonight same yeast balls and now I am paranoid about possible oxidation /contamination from opening fermenters

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

These are Mrb products BTW

Thanks JeffD :confused:

The mini-oil slicks are common enough. My understanding is that they are usually resins from the hops, but if anyone has more specific knowledge than that perhaps they will chime in. In any case, I've never seen it as cause for concern.

The yeast balls are more commonly called "rafts". Not sure exactly what they are either, but they are also very common and no cause for concern.

As a rule of thumb, it is good to leave your beer alone as much as possible. That said, CO2 is heavier than oxygen and likewise will create a blanket over your beer. Be gentle when you take readings, etc., but it is easy to fret too much about oxidation.

Well, I don't have any advice about your current problem.....but......quit using MR. Beer and start shopping at the local HBS.

Thanks for the advice
Just trying to finish up the MrB kits so I can move on :D

Nah...I don't know why everyone hates on Mr. Beer so much. I think it's just chest-pounding. I made a Mr. Beer kit not long ago out of curiosity. It was quick, easy, and tasty. Obviously there's a limit on what you can do, but Mr. Beer is a great way to get started.

The mini-oil slicks are common enough. My understanding is that they are usually resins from the hops, but if anyone has more specific knowledge than that perhaps they will chime in. In any case, I've never seen it as cause for concern.

The yeast balls are more commonly called "rafts". Not sure exactly what they are either, but they are also very common and no cause for concern.

As a rule of thumb, it is good to leave your beer alone as much as possible. That said, CO2 is heavier than oxygen and likewise will create a blanket over your beer. Be gentle when you take readings, etc., but it is easy to fret too much about oxidation.

QFT. I get crazy oil slicks on highly hopped beers. I believe that the resins are the cause as well....

Well, I've never used a Mr. Beer kit so it was wrong for me to tell someone not to use it. I just haven't had good luck with beer kits in general.

Well, I've never used a Mr. Beer kit so it was wrong for me to tell someone not to use it. I just haven't had good luck with beer kits in general.

No worries its all good, I am only three batches into my brewing career so everything is new to me ....

Thanks for all the replies

*******Update********

I bottled both of these beers the other night....I had a pint of the dubliner while bottling ..it was good !!!! that little slick really didnt bother me much lol....worked right around it ...:D

*******Update********

I bottled both of these beers the other night....I had a pint of the dubliner while bottling ..it was good !!!! that little slick really didnt bother me much lol....worked right around it ...:D

Congrats! Now on to the next batch!

Welcome to the obsession...

Back