Crayon Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brazedowl

Reaction score
So. Between the time I set the carboy on the ground to rack and went to prime my syphon.... my 1 year old daughter seems to have placed a green crayon, unnoticed in the jug.

I noticed it two weeks later. It is mostly disintigrated in a pile at the bottom.

A quick test revealed it tastes fine. So do I dump it? Rack again and hope? Let this rack settle then rack and hope?

Well, as long as it was a green one...

Seriously, I think you're fine, I'd go with "rack again and hope".

I also vote for "rack again and hope".

That said, maybe the wine closest to the crayon has picked up flavor, but where you pulled a sample from hasn't yet. To be extra safe, maybe rack most to one vessel and the rest to another.

The 10 + % alcohol will sanitize any girl germs and crayons have little flavor as I remember. I would name the wine THe girls name (we love our daughter}:mug:

Thats why i brew when my kids are sleeping. My 2 year old tossed a battery in when i was dry hopping..... it was fine lucky it was a 8% dipa. Kids man there like ninjas

Lmao that is amazing.

Wax "isnt" soluble in alcohol or water.

It did probably dissolve some pigments or maybe some random binders; which is why its a goop pile.

I thought "surely countless crayons have been eaten by children"

Which led me to find this:

https://illinoispoisoncenter.org/my-child-ate-crayons

You'll be fine. Its safe. If it turns out amazing let me know so I can make crayon wine too

Latest posts

Back