Wine fault

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukeisaac

Reaction score
Great article. I'm new to the forum and not sure where to post my question.
The article leads me to believe that I have 2 carboys of wine that are showing signs of protein deposit. Both were slow to complete MLF. After 2-1/2 months of waiting and finally realizing they were not making any progress, I added more ML culture. A month later, things didn't improve, so I added a dose of Lysozyme to both. A month later I also added a dose of Tannin Riche Extra for a bit more body and oak flavor.
Three weeks later, I added some k-meta and bottled one carboy which is when I noticed that a persistent foam had formed in the bottles. I thought it would go away but now I noticed that at the bottom of each bottle there is a 1/4 inch layer of a white substance. The wine in the bottle taste fine but the foam is unsightly and I'm worried that it might make me sick.
The wine in the second carboy was put through a 5 micron filter allowed to rest some more to see what would happen to the foam. I noticed today some white particles throughout the wine.
I do not know how to proceed and hope someone on the forum would offer some help. Thanks in advance.

What article are you referring too?

I’m not sure about the foam but white particles might be crystals forming. Possibly potassium. You could try cold stabilizing.

But are you sure it’s done fermenting? What’s the SG?

Can you post a picture?

I had the same thing happen to my white chardonnay and savignon blanc, chard I blamed on too much sorbate which caused ghost flakes, sav I most likely bottled too soon, now I wait 10 months to bottled.

@hawkwing - The S.G. was 0.998 when I transferred after primary fermentation. The wine smell and taste fine. It's just these bubbles that won't go away. Bubbles do come out when I degas or pour a glass but, unlike in other wines I've made in the past, the bubbles take a long long time to dissipate and form a thick layer of foam on top of the wine. Eventually, 5-6 days later, the foam becomes less thick but there is always a thin layer of bubbles that refuse to go away. It's almost like they are glued together, similar to what you see when using Star San to sanitize.
I keep the carboy under a vaccum (AIO). Maybe that's the reason why the CO2 stays for so long. I just do not recall the same effect in prior years. I've been using the AIO for 3 years. In any case, The wine has been ageing for 6 months in carboy. Even if I didn't properly degassed, I would think that most of the gas should have come out of solution by now.
I also suspect that I also have a protein issue from the double dose of MLB perhaps. Hoping to get rid of the protein, I gave the wine a dose of bentonite. I'm waiting for approx 10 days after to transfer the wine off the sediment. I'll attempt at degassing some more after, before I bottle.

Attachments

• Syrah in carboy.jpg
    Syrah in carboy.jpg
    905 KB · Views: 0
  • Wine faults(1)-1.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Back