Cranberry Apple Wine questions,,,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgny

Reaction score
Hello, new here, been reading your forum for a while.
I have a nice batch of cranberry/apple wine going since nov.
It was my first ever wine attempt. I will admit that I used
fleishmanns because it was all I had.
A month later, I moved it to a new jug, and tasted it. The
alcohol seemed too strong. I placed it in the fridge to try
to stop anymore alcohol production. It has helped. Now what?
Do I leave it in the fridge? Will it still mellow out or am I to
take it out and store it somewhere, like the basement?

My guess is that it just needed more aging. Wine can be quite boozy tasting for the first little while when its young. I don't think that leaving it in the fridge is gonna do anything for it, I also don't think it will hurt but maybe someone else might know better.

Good luck

So would it hurt it if I took it out of the fridge? Spoil it
in any way?

I think you may need to provide some more information to enable folk to offer useful answers. What in fact was the recipe you used (that will help us get a handle on the starting gravity and THAT will give us an idea of the potential ABV (alcohol by volume)) . Did you measure the gravity before you refrigerated the wine? If so, what was it? (that will give us an idea if it can start refermenting again when it warms up).
Now cranberries are quite acidic ... so I wonder if it is possible that the taste you are getting is coming from the acid levels unbalanced by the removal by the yeast of the sweetness. But if you simply fermented apple -cranberry juice the acid level may be lower (a higher pH) - again, knowing your recipe and processes would be helpful.

I use or use bread yeast to make wine. It always fermented dry. Then I'd backsweeten. Took a little while to smooth out in flavor but always turned out fine. Let it ferment dry, stabilize it, thn backsweeten and bottle.

I use or use bread yeast to make wine. It always fermented dry. Then I'd backsweeten. Took a little while to smooth out in flavor but always turned out fine. Let it ferment dry, stabilize it, thn backsweeten and bottle.

And let it age.

My apple wine and cranberry wine are undrinkable at 6 months of bulk aging. At 6 months in the bottle, they are drinkable, at 1 year, they are very enjoyable.

Note to BernardSmith: A while back, I posted on a possible mlf in my blueberry wine. You suggested that it was possibly still CO2 escaping. You were correct, and I thank you again for your advice.

Back