Craigslist is a sham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

instapman

Reaction score
I dont doubt some of you find great deals on craigslist but I have been searching for ANYTHING useful regarding home brewing on CR for weeks in my area and have found nothing but some old miller high life mirrors for sale (no thank you). Man I would really like some sanke's for sale or even some schmuck getting out of brewing wanting to sell his stuff for cheap and yet no luck.... Just wanted to vent my frustrations regarding CR and my lack of sanke's..............

I dont doubt some of you find great deals on craigslist but I have been searching for ANYTHING useful regarding home brewing on CR for weeks in my area and have found nothing but some old miller high life mirrors for sale (no thank you). Man I would really like some sanke's for sale or even some schmuck getting out of brewing wanting to sell his stuff for cheap and yet no luck.... Just wanted to vent my frustrations regarding CR and my lack of sanke's..............

Hang in there man. I'll go through weeks and months in my area where nothing shows up, then eventually you'll get a score like this for $150:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/craigslist-score-finally-my-turn-132409/ .

I never preach patience, I'm always impatient. But be patient.

also fyi:

we tried to sell some curtain rods for $100. got 3 $840-each money orders in the mail...

duhhhhhhhh

obviously fake, but just be careful when cashing a MO. call the issuer to make sure it's real. The bank will usually cash anything, then figure out if it's real or not. You're stuck with the balance if it's not.

It's going to really depend on your geographic locale, and how big brewing is in your region. In the Detroit area/S.E. Michigan, brewing is big, and iirc we have more per capita homebrewshops then any other region (I can name 9-10 in a 1 hour circle from downtown Detroit as it is, including 3 in my tiny town of port huron with a population of 30,500.) So more brewers mean more chances that stuff is going to be on cragslist or garage sales at any given time.

I hate to say it, it's really not craigslist, it's your area.

Got the opposite problem here, lots of postings, but they go fast and most of them are in Portland. Doesn't do me any good.

Maybe you can pick up an old still and convert it.:D

Yeah, sorry about your lack of luck, but I don't see how you can start a thread titled "Craigslist is a Sham". It's not a sham, you just can't find what you're looking for.

There can be some pretty bad scams, though.

I found a really good deal on a truck, supposedly in my area. I contacted the seller, and she explained some big sob story about the truck being her late husband's, she needed to sell it fast, but there was only one problem...the truck was currently located in Canada with her parents. If I were willing to pay freight shipping and a 10% deposit on the truck, she would accept the balance upon delivery of the truck. She wanted to use a third party escrow company to hold the money during shipping and provided some PayPal contact information (but not a link). She said she lives in Texas, and that's why the ad was posted there.

The overall price seemed too good to be true, and her response raised a bit of a red flag in my mind, so I did some internet searching. It turns out that this is a pretty common ploy, and PayPal will not act as an escrow service. I later found the exact same ad posted in several cities across the country. I notified Craigslist of the scam and never responded to her last e-mail.

If it sounds too good to be true...it probably is.

A year or so ago, I put up a listing asking for some bottles and got a couple of quick responses. Ended up trading a guy a six-pack of my beer for two cases of bottles - we were both happy :)

Got the opposite problem here, lots of postings, but they go fast and most of them are in Portland. Doesn't do me any good.

Maybe you can pick up an old still and convert it.:D

Lots of stuff in the Chicago & NW Indiana area too but the good stuff goes pretty fast. I have my RSS reader set-up and I can scan through.

Problem here is there are some REALLY stubborn/lazy people that post the same crap at the same price indefinitely. I have seen the same wine racks and beer signs and antique beer mugs for a year. I just want to send those people an e-mail and tell them to lower their price or get a flippin' life!

agreed there are definitely scams out there. The good thing is that common sense can usually protect you from them.

Never post your phone number or e-mail address. Only respond to obviously legit inquiries. Never offer to ship anything for a money order in return. When selling anything of value, do not meet at your home, meet in a public place (have done this for sports/concert tickets especially).

It has a lot to do with your comfort level dealing with strangers. My wife is usually quite uncomfortable except when buying baby toys/stuff. We found a great deal on a high end crib, for example. But she hates trying to sell anything cause it means she has to deal with the potential scams and likely flaky people.

Yeah, sorry about your lack of luck, but I don't see how you can start a thread titled "Grisliest is a Sham". It's not a sham, you just can't find what you're looking for.

Good point. I could have chosen a better thread name, but there are several people I know that have been scammed/attempted to be scammed. Maybe a good topic for a sticky offering advise to the unwhitting....

I have searched for a while using most of the "key terms" that were suggested, Still no luck. I do agree with revy that it is more than likely my region. I have a friend that lives in Tulsa and search his CL and find gold on there daily....if only shipping was cheaper...

I guess the question is:

Is there any other place that one could find good HB stuff(other than SABCO)? I am mostly looking for sankes but I am interested in any HB parafanailia...

I mainly posted to vent seeing as tho SWMBO is not that interested in hearing me rant about lack of kegs....

I found a 3 gallon ball lock keg with gas/beer QD's AND a cobra tap for $40

I found cornies for $15

I found kegs for $20 each

There can be some pretty bad scams, though.

I found a really good deal on a truck, supposedly in my area. I contacted the seller, and she explained some big sob story about the truck being her late husband's, she needed to sell it fast, but there was only one problem...the truck was currently located in Canada with her parents. If I were willing to pay freight shipping and a 10% deposit on the truck, she would accept the balance upon delivery of the truck. She wanted to use a third party escrow company to hold the money during shipping and provided some PayPal contact information (but not a link). She said she lives in Texas, and that's why the ad was posted there.

The overall price seemed too good to be true, and her response raised a bit of a red flag in my mind, so I did some internet searching. It turns out that this is a pretty common ploy, and PayPal will not act as an escrow service. I later found the exact same ad posted in several cities across the country. I notified Craigslist of the scam and never responded to her last e-mail.

If it sounds too good to be true...it probably is.

That's why I only deal with someone who I can meet in person. If they want to do business through a third party, I'll decline.

As far as the OP goes, I'm sorry that you don't have much in your area, but keep searching. You'll come across something.

Back