CRAIG's LIST Find

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
You have found this thread if you are in search of what can be acquired via the second hand market from a thorough search on Craig’s List. I have been successful in finding equipment at a fraction of the cost of buying new, with a little patience and perseverance. This thread exists to serve a two-fold purpose, and participation is encouraged.

First, we all want to brag about the awesome deal we have found on CL. So this is the place to do it. Show us your well negotiated diamond in the ruff find. Actually, just tell us what you were able to acquire on CL that saved you money vs. buying it new elsewhere. We all know CL can be a goldmine.

The second purpose of this thread, and more important reason, is to help as many others out there, new to home brewing and looking to acquire affordable equipment. I hope this thread can become one that newcomers to the brewing field can use as a reference on what can be found on CL at a reasonable price and guide to what the going rate is for pre-owned brewing equipment.

Being that I have started this thread, I will list my “Big Find” from CL. I was lucky enough to find a TRUE GDM-12 commercial fridge, to use as a fermentation chamber, for a steal. I negotiated with the seller and purchased it for $75. This was an awesome win on my part. Upon purchasing, I knew that it needed a new fan motor, which I was able to buy and replace for $50, so I came out with a nice commercial unit for $125 out of my pocket. This is to date the best deal I have found on CL.

Fellow HBT’ers show us your CL find?

True.jpg

Ten ball lock kegs, two 20 lb co2 tanks, and two regulators for $100.

Seven 20 lb co2 tanks for $120.

Three ball lock kegs for $5 (total).

Chest freezer (now a ferm chamber) for $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Wow..you did well on the ball locks, co2 and regulators. $5 a keg is also the best deal I have heard of someone paying.

That was all three for $5. So like $1.66 each. He didn't really know what they were. You really have to be diligent and a little creative to find the best deals. Obviously, the people who are going to sell them that cheap are gonna list them as "mountain dew containers," "soda syrup cylinders," or something similar that wouldn't get picked up by normal search terms. They are worthless to non-homebrewers, so they can be bought very cheap.

$1.66/each..even better. I picked up a few ball locks last year for $20/each which is the best I have done on CL yet for kegs.

I agree with you, with just a little diligence and patience one can find a super deal on CL.

My best find so far was two ball lock kegs, a 5gal mash tun, a brewpot with spigot, 2 one gallon jugs, approximately 40lbs of various grains, an 2 vials of yeast for $100.00

Snagged a full fridge kegerator, 1 tap, for $40. Had to pull it out of some guys basement, alone. Pulled out all the stuff to put into my setup, cept hoses, and took the empty fridge to the scrap yard and got $30. Cleaned it all up perfectly and found out the the 5lb co2 cylinder, out if date, was full to boot. One of my many scores but the best so far.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

That reminds me that I also got a free kegerator from a guy's basement. Included was a 20lb co2 tank, sanke coupler, and a faucet.

This was a yard sale but here goes. Two carboys, two kegs, 4-8 gallon buckets, a kegerator with 10# co2 tank(full),sanke coupler, two taps, 7 picnic taps, various brushes, 3 funnels 20 fliptop bottles, all for $150!!!!!!:ban:

:off:On a related note don't cheat on your wife she will sell your stuff super cheap, and tell everyone what she is doing.:(

Just snagged a 3 year old kenmore chest freezer big enough to hold 8 kegs and co2 without a collar, for $40. win.

Just snagged a 3 year old kenmore chest freezer big enough to hold 8 kegs and co2 without a collar, for $40. win.

That's a good buy, got a 7.4 plugged in twice for a couple days for $40 wish I had gotten something just a hair bigger but it will work well for a keezer. on the hunt for another to setup as a ferm chamber for beers, pickles and kraut.

$40 for a new chest freezer is a great deal for anyone. For any new home brewers out there, keep an close eye on CL for deals on pre-owned freezers, if you are looking to make a keezer. I also always see mini fridges available for a song, which will allow you to make a fermentation chamber for next to nothing.

Especially if you wait til the end of the college semesters. There's usually a ton of free ones. Than you just make a temp box with a stc1000 and you've got perfect ferm temps.

I LOVE craigs list! I have had so many amazing deals...

a year ago I started buying brewing stuff and reselling it. I'd find amazing deals and turn a profit the next day. I decided to do this until I ended up with a herms setup.

I went from a 10 gallon aluminum pot to a 15 gallon capacity 3 blichmann boilermaker single tier with march pumps, plate chiller and more beer quick disconnects.

I'm still amazed I have the set-up I do. It took a lot of work, but I have less than a couple hundred into it all. The rest was wheeling and dealing upgrading and re-selling.

Some deals I came across:

20 gallon boilermaker with false bottom for $200 (guy got a DUI had to quit drinking) The best thing is I had sold 14 carboys )that I paid about $100 for) for almost $400 and used that money to buy the boilermaker.

another 20 gallon boilermaker with $180 worth of quick disconnects, two march pump 809HS (one with an assembly and purge valve) Banjo burner from Bayou classic, an Oxygen/temperature assembly from more beer for my plate chiller... etc (basically 1200 worth of stuff) for $500

I turned around and sold one of the pumps for $130 making the deal even sweeter! I kept most of this gear, but sold off some of my old gear to recoup the cost.

I got 2 rubbermaid coolers 10 gallon rounds with SS false bottoms and ball valves both for $50. Since I got a blichmann mash tun, I turned around and re-sold one of them for $100 last night. Now I'm getting a Herms coil made.

I bought a keg for $25. I posted it on CL for $50 and ended up traded it straight across for a brand new Chugger pump. Then I sold the chugger pump for $90

Again - I love craigs list!

I recently scored two Sabco Fermenters on CL. $60 a piece!

20131217_194247.jpg

Keep them coming! I know there are some crazy good deals others HBTer's have found on CL to add to this topic. :)

How's this for a find!

I literally just got home from picking up FOUR of these!

image.jpg

Two 3" SS dual faucet towers Brand new in the box.
Two 3" SS single faucet towers Brand new in the box.

A grand total of $100 for ALL of them

While not a crazy good deal on the bottle alone, I got both a 5# CO2 bottle and the dual gauge regulator for $50.

CO2.jpg

While not a crazy good deal on the bottle alone, I got both a 5# CO2 bottle and the dual gauge regulator for $50.

That's quite good... The bottle in date?

That's quite good... The bottle in date?

I was able to get it filled before I will need to have it certified again. Fortunately, I did find a place that will do the hydrostatic testing/cert for $18.

***To all those out there looking for a CO2 bottle, theck brings up an excellent point. Ensure you confirm the date on the bottle to see if/when it will have to be re-certified. For CO2 bottles hydrostatic testing is performed to ensure the bottle is sound and does no leak, and they are stamped normally around the collar when done. This testing has to be performed every 5 years, or most places will not refill it. Keep this in mind. I used this to my advantage when purchasing this bottle to haggle with the seller, knowing I would have to pay to re-certify it. He was initially asking $75 for it. Good Luck!

Airgas (not sure if they're nationwide or not) swaps cylinders no matter if they're in hydro or not.

Someone gave me a 20lb cylinder out of hydro by 5 years. They swapped it knowing it was not current.

The place I normally go to charges $18/20lb swap. But they won't take an out of date tank. Airgas charges $24 for a 20lb tank, so I only use them when I need to swap a tank out that isn't current.

Oddly enough, a couple years ago, I too found a GDM-12 on craigslist. I recall I paid about $80 for it. Owner said it was sparking near the compressor when plugged in. When I went pick it up, I re-clamped the over-temp module to its correct location and plugged it in to find everything else worked. It had already had a thermostat mod for fermentation temperatures, so I installed the correct aftermarket thermostat and cleaned it up for a corny cooler. Now have a GDM-10/STC1000ish Fermentation chamber and a GDM-6 Hop / Yeast Bank Fridge, both found on craigslist for $150 and $125 respectively.

5893-5288.jpg

5887-5279.jpg

Nice setup raouliii...so far I have been pleased with using mine as a fermentation chamber. I was surprised how well insulated it is with the glass door.

^ I like your picnic tap handle holder/drip tray!
Thanks. I decided it would be better to have the door opened over and over during drinking sessions than have external taps mounted that would need constant cleaning during the heat of the extreme summers in my garage.

5891-5286.jpg

Nice setup raouliii...so far I have been pleased with using mine as a fermentation chamber. I was surprised how well insulated it is with the glass door.
Thanks. I originally designed my GDM-10 ferm chamber with a heat strip in the upper evaporator area but found that I never really needed it with the gentle heat already generated from the constant on evaporator fan. I integrated the STC1000 into the wiring of the cooler, so in cooling mode, only the compressor cycles on and off. Having the evaporator fan always running allows the cooler to operate as it was designed with consistent defrost periods.

5886-5280.jpg

I've gotten lucky a few times. But I travel and get to hit a number of cities.

Electric/Nat. gas herms system, mill, carboys, kegs, co2 and 2 temp controlled ferm. chambers. $500
brewhaus.jpg

$100
CL Find.jpg

$50 10gal. ball lock
10 gal keg.jpg

Nice haul bad67z...You have pulled in some really nice equipment for a steal. :mug:

True GEM-26, glass windows on both sides and a glass door on the front. The compressor is shot ut it was only $50. I am going to put a new one ($150) in it at some point but don't need it right now as my garage stays fairly cool 58-68F. This summer I will need it working though. My Brewhemoth looks beautiful in it!

Just got 5 corny kegs, 4 pin lock unfortunately, but got all connectors fir it and even a dual pressure regulator in perfect condition... $60.

Swap the connectors with these

Thought about converting them but most likely I'll clean them up, replace seals, etc.. Sell a few with connectors back on cl. They are filled with soda and super nasty but look to be in great shape. Trying to recoup the cash and add to my beer making fund ha... The others I'll use as backup or end up selling or trading as well. I have a pretty good supply of kegs now I've acquired off cl for cheap.

Thought about converting them but most likely I'll clean them up, replace seals, etc.. Sell a few with connectors back on cl.

Nothing wrong with that. That's how I built my system. I started with a 10gallon aluminum pot. I'd buy packages off CL for cheap. Keep what I want and resell or repurpose and sell the rest. Now I'm using a single tier three Blichmann boilermaker set up with ultimate sparge arm, two march pumps, SS morebeer quick disconnects... I just need a herms coil now. I've probably put less than a few hundred dollars into my setup. But it took a year of hustling CL.

My latest CL score was last night. I got (3) 1/4 slim kegs for $25/ea. Not a crazy amazing deal, but those slim 1/4 are hard to find. Now I have 6 of them to ferment in. Since I do 10 gallon batches, that's at least 3 full batches. Now I can finally focus on making sours and barley wines for long term storage.

It does take a bit of tine getting them clean and rebuilt. The pin locks won't fly off my shelves but the one ball lock is an easy sell, get be back at least $50 of my investment. I'll keep the 2 pressure regulator, be my third one I've gotten cheap, ha, but this one is dual pressure so never know. I am trying to build up a nitro tap or two so all my money from this will go into that.

Back