CraftBeerPi - Raspberry Pi Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After almost a year since my last brew I'm finally ready to start again. I originally started with ArdBir but CBP came along just after I purchased everything for ArdBir. After stewing over my setup I switched to CBP. I now have a 12v pump, 11gal bayou classic, and 120v 2000w element for my new eBiab setup. My PiZero, 12v supply and SSR are housed in a 6x6x4 plastic conduit box. I've played with it a bit today and I'm finally doing a test run up to 162F with a 10 min hold followed by a ramp to 210 and a 20 min hold. After 20 min I'll plan on letting it cool over night to see the temp loss.

Anyone know how to "reset" CBP?? I installed, using the "dummy" settings for the initial setup, and now I can't get back to that setup to use real hardware..
I've deleted the folder, rebooted, re-cloned, etc.. It never gives me the setup options it did on the first run..

Thanks for that. Got me going in the right direction.
it's http://IP:5000/base/setup gets you back to the first-run setup.

I did find in configuration page there are options to change switch type, etc. that may have been the proper way to go about this. Didn't try it until after..

Anyone know where a thread on what settings people are using in CraftBeerPi? For instance, what boil temp are you using when the kettle is configured for overshoot? Are you using Automatic or Manual control for boil? I only have one brew session complete using the software but I like it a lot.

Anyone know where a thread on what settings people are using in CraftBeerPi? For instance, what boil temp are you using when the kettle is configured for overshoot? Are you using Automatic or Manual control for boil? I only have one brew session complete using the software but I like it a lot.

I'd like to echo this also. What setting are people finding best for the boil? I'd also like to add do you just set the boil length or do you also add stops/breaks for hop additions?

Anyone know how to reverse the state of the GPIO? I'm hooked to a relay board, that turns on relays when pins go low, and lights up an led on the board for that relay. This is the complete opposite of what the "buttons" do in CBP.. When I turn on HLT heater, lights green on the screen, but turn the light at the relay off... Would like to correlate these to "lights" if it's possible..

Hey guys,

The main branch is now 2.2, so that will give you the option to invert your GPIO settings.

Also, fermentation is built in proper - and you can import beer.xml files.

Happy eBrewing!

Hello. I just installed craftbeerpi. I tried changing from Celsius to Fahrenheit by modifying the config,yaml file in the config directory and restarting craftbeerpi. The change didn't work. Am I missing something?

Hey guys,

The main branch is now 2.2, so that will give you the option to invert your GPIO settings.

Also, fermentation is built in proper - and you can import beer.xml files.

Happy eBrewing!

I ran
Code:
$ git pull

from
Code:
/home/pi/craftbeerpi/

then, because I was getting a 404 error I ran
Code:
$ rm /home/pi/craftbeerpi/crafbeerpi.db
per the github wiki

Now it's broke. When I try to start the server with
Code:
sudo python runserver.py

I get
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "runserver.py", line 4, in <module>
    from brewapp import app, socketio
  File "/home/pi/craftbeerpi/brewapp/__init__.py", line 74, in <module>
    from .base.views import base
  File "/home/pi/craftbeerpi/brewapp/base/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    import config
  File "/home/pi/craftbeerpi/brewapp/base/config.py", line 4, in <module>
    import yaml
ImportError: No module named yaml

But I honestly don't know what I'm doing, really. Is this an issue with my installation? Should I start from scratch with a fresh install?

I ran
Code:
$ git pull

from
Code:
/home/pi/craftbeerpi/

then, because I was getting a 404 error I ran
Code:
$ rm /home/pi/craftbeerpi/crafbeerpi.db
per the github wiki

Now it's broke. When I try to start the server with
Code:
sudo python runserver.py

I get
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "runserver.py", line 4, in <module>
    from brewapp import app, socketio
  File "/home/pi/craftbeerpi/brewapp/__init__.py", line 74, in <module>
    from .base.views import base
  File "/home/pi/craftbeerpi/brewapp/base/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    import config
  File "/home/pi/craftbeerpi/brewapp/base/config.py", line 4, in <module>
    import yaml
ImportError: No module named yaml

But I honestly don't know what I'm doing, really. Is this an issue with my installation? Should I start from scratch with a fresh install?

If you 404 during the pull you probably didn't get everything. I would try pulling again.

If you 404 during the pull you probably didn't get everything. I would try pulling again.

Thanks, I did try "git pull" again to no avail.

I was getting the 404 when trying to access the craftbeerpi server on my local network, which makes me guess the server is not running on the pi. This is why I tried to manually start it, getting the errors mentioned. It's easy enough to just start from scratch. After all, I'm just testing at this point and not running any hardware other than the sensors.

Thanks, I did try "git pull" again to no avail.

I was getting the 404 when trying to access the craftbeerpi server on my local network, which makes me guess the server is not running on the pi. This is why I tried to manually start it, getting the errors mentioned. It's easy enough to just start from scratch. After all, I'm just testing at this point and not running any hardware other than the sensors.

Have you tried starting it with this command?

sudo /etc/init.d/craftbeerpiboot start

You might want to try delete the craftbeerpi.db file and refresh the page, I had the same issue as you and this sorted me out.

Hello. I just installed craftbeerpi. I tried changing from Celsius to Fahrenheit by modifying the config,yaml file in the config directory and restarting craftbeerpi. The change didn't work. Am I missing something?
You can change the temperature type from C to F in the configure menu of CraftBeerPi.

You might want to try delete the craftbeerpi.db file and refresh the page, I had the same issue as you and this sorted me out.

I did try this since it is recommended on the GitHub Wiki. No Dice.

When I try this it tells me command not found, or something similar. When I try to navigate to /etc/init.d, I get "directory not found".

Thanks for the help, I've got some free time tonight, so I'll probably try to start from scratch. As I mentioned, I'm only taking the software for a test drive right now. I'm trying to decide if I want to go this route or StrangeBrew Elsinore.

I did try this since it is recommended on the GitHub Wiki. No Dice.

When I try this it tells me command not found, or something similar. When I try to navigate to /etc/init.d, I get "directory not found".

Thanks for the help, I've got some free time tonight, so I'll probably try to start from scratch. As I mentioned, I'm only taking the software for a test drive right now. I'm trying to decide if I want to go this route or StrangeBrew Elsinore.

Sounds like you might need to do a fresh pi install if the /etc/init.d/ folder isn't found.

FWIW I have used both SBE and CBP, and the fact that CBP is being actively supported, I have chosen to stick with it. SBE is great dont get me wrong - but I use Celsius and metric measurements and SBE doesn't support Celsius, so I couldn't use the automation triggers. Gutted though, it took 3 brews with constant crashes to figure that out, and I have now used CBP flawlessly, it is solid.

:tank:

Sounds like you might need to do a fresh pi install if the /etc/init.d/ folder isn't found.

FWIW I have used both SBE and CBP, and the fact that CBP is being actively supported, I have chosen to stick with it. SBE is great dont get me wrong - but I use Celsius and metric measurements and SBE doesn't support Celsius, so I couldn't use the automation triggers. Gutted though, it took 3 brews with constant crashes to figure that out, and I have now used CBP flawlessly, it is solid.

:tank:

Much appreciated.

I'm just testing CraftBeerPi with dummy sensors and it's working well. The only thing I'm not sure about is the settings for the boil kettle. I've worked out that using PID for the logic is bad as the element will power on and off and disrupt the boil. I'm interested in what setting others are using - I've set it to overshoot and it seems to work well if I set the target to 105. However this means the target temp isn't hit and the timer doesn't start. Am I missing something here or do I just need to set the boil to a manual step and manually start the timer?

As the boards for this project have seem to come to a halt. I've taken the opportunity to have some terragady 4.2 boards made and they should be in my hands soon. If you're interested in a board / boards or a full kit with all the parts, send me a pm or reply in this thread. Thanks

I'm getting ready for my first CBP brew on Thursday, but I'd like a little help setting up my step profile. Can someone post a few images of their step profiles for a beer or two. I'm brewing with a single vessel eBIAB, but even a 3 vessel setup will help me see if your using automatic/manuel and timed/untimed for various events. Thanks.

Sorry guys, between school and working on things with the actual developer of the software for a fully supported board I've had to put my boards on hold. As soon as I know more I'll post.

I'm needing to read through this whole 48 page thread still, but can someone give me a sum-up of this board??

Also have a BBB with waveshare 7" lcd I'm getting rid of since I have the Pi.

The board allows a quick and easy way of connecting devices (pumps, electric elements, stir bars, etc) to the pi in order to control them (turn on or off) via the GPIO pins on the pi with Craftbeerpi when connected to the proper components (SSR or Relays).

Update - I'm still waiting on the delivery of the boards / components from China. I think it's going to be a Festivus Miracle if they get here before Christmas. The cost of the boards alone will be $6 USD + shipping the complete kit with all the required components will be $20 USD + shipping and a full completed soldered board will be around $40/$50 USD + shipping. I also found a company that can ship things from Canada to the USA via USPS so shipping costs unless you want it next day should be reasonable. If you have any questions you can send me a PM. Thanks.

Update - I'm still waiting on the delivery of the boards / components from China. I think it's going to be a Festivus Miracle if they get here before Christmas. The cost of the boards alone will be $6 USD + shipping the complete kit with all the required components will be $20 USD + shipping and a full completed soldered board will be around $40/$50 USD + shipping. I also found a company that can ship things from Canada to the USA via USPS so shipping costs unless you want it next day should be reasonable. If you have any questions you can send me a PM. Thanks.
It takes me 1 month from order date to my mailbox to get boards from Dirty Cheap PCBs.I'm in California.

Back