Craftbeer pi extension board

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
checking out craftbeerpi, haven't bought anything yet, just checking it out. Looking at the wiring diagram at "craftbeerpi.com/hardware" there is an extension board below the diagram. Is this extension board needed? Can the respberry pi 4 handle the load?

The answer depends on what you'll be driving with the additional 8 GPIO outputs shown attached to the CraftbeerPi "HAT" (Hardware Attached on Top). The Pi has a maximum of 16mA per pin with the total current from all pins not exceeding 51mA. There are three SSA's driven by the main Pi board. 16mA x 3 = 48mA, so if the SSA's specified are near the 16mA max, then those three SSA's driven by the Pi consume the total output current capacity of the Pi. Therefore the CraftbeerPi HAT is needed to drive the others. It is also implied on the wiring diagram that a separate 12V/5A power supply needs to power the HAT.

I have not used the CraftbeerPi but have used the Pi extensively including using HATs to drive relays and connect input devices such as limit switches and light sensors. I have found it most useful to use at a minimum, a HAT that allows wiring to be attached with screw terminal posts rather than using a ribbon cable or other connectors directly to the GPIO pins. Something like the board below. Search on Amazon for "gpio screw terminal hat".

1702999415907.png

checking out craftbeerpi, haven't bought anything yet, just checking it out. Looking at the wiring diagram at "craftbeerpi.com/hardware" there is an extension board below the diagram. Is this extension board needed? Can the respberry pi 4 handle the load?
I'm using CraftbeerPi and the Terragady 3.1 board for the Raspberry pi 0. Runs just fine.
I'm using one for brewing and one for controlling a fermenting fridge.

I would second Zippy in the sentiment that HATs make it easier to use and/or swap PI's, may of them are also powered to provide the draw needed, and may provide some limited protection for the PI so it does not release smoke if something goes wrong.

Depending on your level of experience, CraftbeerPi can be great, I'm not sure how supported it is anymore, and I know I ran into some issues on install and configuring that were minor, but I also have some linux experience stored in my beard. I also haven't looked to see what's out there in a few years as I've gotten my system down.

I do have some unpopulated Terragady PCBS. if you are handy with a soldering iron I'd be happy to pop one in the mail. I think the BOM is only a couple of bucks, The "expensive" parts were the pin headers and terminals.

Latest posts

Back